A blend of toasted Cavendish with some Burleys and broad cut Virginias with a satisfying sweet taste. Dark tobaccos contrast with the golden yellow of Virginia. While smoking, the taste mellows and remains very rich until the end with out losing any of its personality. Especially good on relights.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco

3.1
ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Wow- first let me say I'll have to revisit this after a few more bowls. Second, I've never had such a tough time trying to figure out a tobacco before.

I just picked up an ounce of this on my visit to Boswell's last week. I'm a huge fan of their blends and am in the process of running through them. So I picked this because of the description on their website more than anything... but also on a recommendation... AFTER they offered the more typical ones, no-bite delight, piper's pleasure, and others... they came to this because I love their Sweet Tea blend so much.

Opening the bag it was incredible... strong caramel smell mixed with slight hints of vanilla and coffee is what my nose picks up. Packs well and the charring light opens up an aroma that is to die for. The relight unleashes a half a bowl of heaven. Sweet and tasty but not sugary. Since I always compare tot he sweet tea, I would say similar sweetness, but not as light or clean.. it has a little more of the heaviness of the Virginia tobacco in it and definitely more of the caramel, chocolate, vanilla notes of the more bodied Cavendish blends I've had. Think Captain Black almost... but better. The room note and sweetness of the first half of the bowl had me thinking I've found a new favorite. Really, I was impressed... sniffing the bowl and the smoke a lot... it was intoxicating.

Then I got to the second half and it all fell apart. The aromatic quality was still there with a great room note, but the flavor fell out almost completely and the taste for the entire 2nd half of the bowl was unpleasant. I figured based on the other reviewers and the fact of the Virginias in the blend it would be awesome to the bottom, but it got worse and worse.

So I'm left a little befuddled... how could it start out as one of the best out there and finish as a 2 star blend? I'm going to give it 3 stars only because the first half really was great... if I were rating on the 2nd half it'd be a 2 star blend.

Like I said I should update after a few more bowls and see how it changes.

Pipe Used: Boswell 2012

Age When Smoked: 3 days

Purchased From: Boswell B+M visit

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I Received this on the recommendation of Boswell's when I ordered one of their pipes. I already had several of their aromatics and wanted to try something new. It was a passable smoke, nothing really bad about it, but there was a lack of taste to it. It smelled good in the bag. I am comparing it to other Boswell's tobacco's that are, in my opinion, fantastic. So I'm really not reviewing on its own merits, rather in comparison to others so take this with a grain of salt. I much prefer Boswell's Best and Pipers Pleasure.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Medium Mild Extra Full Very Pleasant

Puffing on this as i type, i light and taste carmel and somthing earthing/"omi"after taste like overcooked crisp cookie (maybe the toasted Cavendish)and when exhaled i found the tobbaco coffe taste (Burly or maybe Virginia tobbaco is what i tasted) which gived me a head high,*NOTE:DONT SMOKE FAST...... none the less very pleasant to the palate but bold and full flavor of what in my opinion i tasted only descibtion Dan gave me on the phone when i asked what he recommended and judging from my order he nailed my poison like how expirenced master of arts being culinary, mixology highgrade cannibis, and tobbactionist would, i am pleased though "no bite delight" is whatis my main everyday smoke, i am going to add this to give that good ol nobitedelight a downtime,(i smoke alot of that all day) so this would compliment my varites, and give my palate somthing new to talk about.

OTHERTHOUGHTS: i would recommend for northwoods,berrycobbler dank& BOLD type aromatic smokers, or just your new smoker, at least try for yourself, dont take my word for it, im just giving out my input. So go ahead give it a shot, whatelse do you have to lose?

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Nice! Richer than I expected. Smells like traditional pipe tobacco. Stays lit. 2/3 through bowl, not sure about taste. Tastes progressively worse. Coffee should mask it.

Maybe the Boswell folks are victims of their own success as they make so many outstanding aromatics that every time a smoke a Boswell blend that I haven't tried I have high expectations. I find my feelings about M586 similar to those of THESSALONIAN. I purchased a couple of ounces a few months ago and I wasn't a fan back then. Now, after re-visiting it again several months later, the results are the same. The tobacco flavor is average (although it's most likely the same tobacco that shines in their other blends) and as an aromatic, it's not all that interesting, especially when compared to Piper's Pleasure, No-Bite, and Chocolate Cream etc. It smells inviting in the pouch and the room note is pleasant, but M586 isn't one that will be making a return visit to my pipe room.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Majestic 586 doesn't have good tobacco flavor or aromatic flavor. Not a bad tobacco just not much flavor. Good pouch smell and aroma though. Two stars only.

ZenSmoker916 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenSmoker916 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Picked up some of this when stopping off at Boswell's on a drive through PA. Incidentally, if you get the chance, I would recommend you do the same. It's a very friendly place and you're like to run into some great people.

I smoke aeros almost exclusively, so take that into account when reading. The initial light and first few puffs were nutty and sweet. I detected almonds/walnuts and caramel. Smoke was a nice thick white and stayed fairly cool, except when I got a little aggressive with the puffing while paying attention to the flavors. It may have been the way I packed or smoked the bowl, but it did get a little wet at the end and the flavor faded slightly. Nicotine hit was definitely present but not too extreme. The total experience was very pleasing. I would definitely recommend.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is an OK tobacco, just a wee bit too mild for my tastes. Not too much going for it strength wise, and very mild on the flavor. This was one of the only aro'tobacco that tastes better as it smokes down and on relights. Seems to taste and look like the 'nobite delite' except with a different/less topping. No bite to it at ALL just like the rest of bosewells stuff although it can heat up if you puff away at it trying to taste something.

. This would only get two stars if not for the amazing room note--It brought back memories from when I was a kid and first smelled pipesmoke, you know, that smell that is intoxicating and smells so amazing from 50 feet away that it made you want to smoke a pipe as soon as you were old enough. The taste is a-lot like captainblack, maybe a bit more burley/vanilla taste to it. Might order more of this in the future so I have something I can smoke in public or just puff away mindlessly while working on the car ect. If you love aromatics then you need to give this one a try, like the reviews before me "you wont regret it"

If you are a beginner and reading this, then don't hesitate to try any of the Bosewell's tobacco. Its all 10x better than Drugstore brands and are extremely forgiving (puff as hard and fast as you want!)

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If this isn't, in fact, a 50/50 blend of Lane 1-Q and BCA it looks, smokes and smells exactly like it. A great mild yet satisfying smoke with an excellent room note. Of course, you can buy Lane 1-Q and BCA in bulk and make it yourself for less than the $2.70 an ounce price tag.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

This is one of my favorite Boswell blends. You can taste all the tobaccos and not just the flavorings. But the blend does seem to grow better with every relight! I did find an occasional relight necessary, but that was a pleasure. The blend improves the longer you smoke it and grows in richness of flavor, while still remaining pleasantly mild and bite-free. The room note is very pleasant and should please non-smokers as well as smokers. I echo what the previous reviewer of this blend said: Try it! You will not regret it; I certainly did not. Kudos to J.M.

IrishPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishPipeSmoker (3)

The Boswell Boys have another winner here! Very smooth smoke and tastes wonderful! The relights although not many are amazing! Try this - you will not regret it!