Creates a delightful taste sensation. A taste of the Island with every puff.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByJ.M. Boswell
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringRum
Strength
Taste
FunkyD in the Morning Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunkyD in the Morning (8)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I want to start this off with something that I feel is very important. After 12 years, I've recently switched the way I smoke a pipe and the results have left me in bliss. I can finally enjoy those difficult Virginias and Aros. I'm getting a ton of flavor, cool smoke, volumes of smoke, and no tongue bite. The Aros that burned hot and were flavorless are now opposite. MacBaren is treating my mouth with respect. Oh my! Club blend tastes so good!

I started to pack my pipes loose and do something I've seen referred to as breath or breathe smoking. I leave the pipe in my mouth and pull on the lit tobacco when I breathe in, but with the same intensity as a breath. I breathe through my nose at the same time, without inhaling any of the smoke that enters my mouth.

I then exhale though my nose and partially-opened mouth, same intensity as normal breathing. When I do this, I make sure some of the smoke that escapes my mouth actually goes through the pipe. For whatever reason, this really cools the pipe down.

Tamp as needed and lightly. May have to tamp more since the pack is loose. I've read about this method for years and tried in the past but failed. You really need to take your time and get control over your airways. For me, It is a lot harder with a briar because I'm not a good clencher. I've actually shifted to mostly smoking small/medium cobs because I feel like clenching makes it easier.

Good luck.

-REVIEW-

I'm very surprised by this blend, having little to no information out there on the internet or on this site. I received a sample with my pipe order from Boswell's. I don't think I would have come across this tobacco any other way.

Even their site's description is short and uninformative. Seems forgotten or maybe a place holder that was never updated.

The bag note is very pleasant. Not sure what it smells like. I guess it is rum? But more like a rum cake or something like that. There's a toasted pastry smell that accompanies it. I'm not too good at picking out and recognizing alcohol flavors.

I actually had tossed this bag on top of the fridge when I got my pipe and forgot about it. I came in the kitchen later that night to my wife looking confused. She told me it smelled like cake in the kitchen and she was trying to figure out what it was. I agreed with her, it did smell like cake, and I helped search. Then I remembered the tobacco...

A little moist but nothing bad. I've stopped letting tobacco dry out unless it is SG wet. I've been packing this light and breath smoking it. Lots of smoke, tastes just like it smells (rum cake?) Sweet but not sugary. Toasted flavor that isn't bready, but more cakey. Maybe some vanilla. I swear there's hazelnut in there, but that isn't it.

I'm very glad this sample was included. Wish they put more effort in it's presence.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Purchased From: boswell

If you are ever in Chambersburg PA, a visit to Boswell’s large and busy pipe shop is worth the visit as is the museum on the second floor, especially if you are there to taste some of America’s best house made aromatics. Rum River may be a victim of the bar being set so high by their other blends. Rum River IMO isn’t up to par with many of the other Boswell aromatic blends. The rum flavor is so light that I had a difficult time detecting it. I get a lot more chocolate flavor in the pouch scent and in the pipe. It is still worth a try for aromatic lovers, but I would start with some of the other Boswell blends first.

Purchased From: J. M. Boswell

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28474)

This is a run of the mill aromatic blend. I detected no "rum" flavor or aroma. It burns decent after drying. Worth a smoke or two, but not missed after that.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28474)

This is a blend that surprized me how much I liked it and keep going back for more. I really can't describe the flavor or aroma...it is so different than other aromatics I've tried. It's mild yet medium bodied and flavored. It's a little fruity, a little earthy, a little zesty. It has a unique character to it that I really can't put my finger on but it's a nice once in a while smoke. I like it later in the day. It's not sweeter like most Boswells, yet it has a lot going on. It's one to go easier on, it has a little bite to it and burns warmer.

I wish I can better describe this blend, but I can't. It's good, and I like it for a change of pace. It's a blend to just take it for what it is...it's outside the box of my usual sweeter or vanilla based aromatics.