Sophisticated small slices of the smoothest Louisiana Perique aged in cakes to mellow with sweet, zesty Matured Virginia. Rich and satisfying, with Perique's uniquely mysterious and compelling aroma, enhanced by Blakeney's exclusive toasting process.

"Choose Blakeney where toasting bans the bite for a smoke that's right"

Notes: McClelland introduced their Blakeney's Best line at the 21st CORPS (Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers) Pipe Show in Richmond, Virginia. The 50g tin was released to the public in late 2005.

Blended ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

3.4
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bayou Slice IMHO is one overlooked VaPer. Bayou Slice is a wonderful combination of matured Virginias perfectly balanced with a perfect amount of perique for my taste. The tin that this is based on is a few years old, so keep that in mind. The usual McClelland fermented smell is there in its glory, but to me it isn't relevant. I prefer to fully rub it out and let it get bone dry. When prepared this way, I find the BS performs at its best. It's sweet, but not overly so and has just the right amount of pepper to balance it out. It is my favorite VaPer from McClelland. It won't replace Escudo in my rotation, but it is well done and should be a staple in any VaPer lover's cellar. Highly Recommended.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin: A cross between the classic McCethup signature and sweet ripe fruit, the odor similar to Acadian Ribbon, plus a VA background. Dark chestnut hue composed of brown-black to tan broken flake that could be compressed and sticks together, though leaving no residue on the fingers. The tobacco averages 1x1/4x1/8 inch "guillotined slices ready-to-rub." Date stamp on bottom: 730306 means it was tinned in 2006.

Prep & Burning: Rub the flakes out well, into small pieces. Lights and burns well. Took three relights. When left out to dry, it was almost completely dry in 45 minutes.

Taste & Aroma: On first light, it is a mellow, vaguely sweet, zesty matured red ribbon. About 1/4 of the way down, perique becomes quite evident, pungent, musty smoky, and truffle-like. From then on, it is VA tang interspersed with the sweet ripe fruit note, mingling with perique mustiness.

Don't know if it is the "classic Blakeney where toasting bans the bite...", but after multiple bowls of BS, there is some tongue bite towards the end of a bowl which may be just plain heat drawn up the stem.

Nicotine: Medium to strong perique queasiness

Overall: A VAPER in which the perique is strongly noticed, actually rather strong in perique. If you are in to VAPERS, 4 stars.

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Blakeney’s Best – Bayou Slice is a very nice, well ballanced Mature Virginia and Perique.

Upon opening my 2 yr-old tin, I was greeted with a pleasant hay and earthy aroma that has a very faint sweetness that is difficult to name (no topping though, just the perique hinting at figs).

The tin calls this “sophisticated small slices of the smoothest Louisianna Perique aged in cake to mellow with sweet, zesty Mature Virginia …” I fully agree! The sliced flake are about ¾ inch long and ¼ to 3/8 inch wide. They are “Ready-to Rub” however I found that they were at a perfect moisture content straigh out of the tin and packed well in my pipe without rubbing which allowed them to burn nice and slow.

Charing light greated me with a smooth and rich flavor of a well aged MV. This continued through the first third to half. As the second half of the bowl was reached, the Perique came in with a light peppery flavor that was an enhancement that complimented the MV and gave a nice enjoyable smooth smoke with many subtle falvors; I even caught a passing taste of chocolate.

For those concerned about the Perique, I would say that this blend is more MV with a gentle use of a well behaving Perique that enhances the blend bringing a nice flavor profile that is very enjoyable with No Bite. The room note is plesant … my wife says it is nice.

Pipe Used: Several - Worked well in all sizes

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: EBay

Novangelus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Novangelus (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh yes! This is the real reason Rip Van Winkle was in the woods for 20 years - he had several pounds of this stuff. I may have found the Holy Grail I've been searching for in pipe baccy!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

It's all true !!! Small slices of the smoothest Louisiana Perique mellowed with sweet and zesty matured Virginia's. Rich and satisfying, compelling aroma, smooth, no bite. I'm quite surprised that this blend has not gained greater popularity.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

[With the same blend listed twice under Blakeney's Best Bayou Slice, this is a repeat review.]

These medium-cut, partially broken, hard-pressed flakes have a tangy and syrupy tin aroma.

This blend is unique amongst the VA based blends in the Blakeney's Best series in that the base leaf is red virginia, not gold as in Tawny Flake and Acadian Ribbon. The butter caramel and peanut brittle overtones so distinct in Tawny Flake, here instead, evoke treacle and black walnut. There is a pretty heavy dose of perique which adds to the depth.

This is a unique flake of great depth and presence and which gains phenomenal richness down the bowl.

Chamber Gauge: Narrow

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)

Boy, this stuff smells good. Can is from '06, but stills maintains enough moisture to be smoked right away, or store away for another 6 months or more. Typical MClelland sweet Virginia smell (some say ketchup, I say aged Virginias) with a good dose of Perique for adventure. Flakes are definitely broken, and easy to pack as is or rub out a little. This is a typical "Bayou" type presentation, with the toasting taking the burn tongue thing off, if smoked (as all tobacco should be) slowly to enjoy the flavor. Recommended for the Va/Per crossover or an occasional departure for the English/Balkan crowd. All in all, a good smoke.

McClelland's has landed another incredible tobacco with this one. Very similar to a standard in my rotation, the McClellands Bulk #2015 Virginia Flake. This one consists of small, broken flakes that rub out very easily. Nice "tang" to the virginias and the perique adds the proper amount of spice. Burns well and smokes easily to the bottom of the bowl, all the while developing more complex flavors. The richness of the taste probably means this shouldn't be smoked all day, but with all the wonderful tobaccos out there, McClellands and others, why would you... variety being the spice of life, and all that.

McClellands has never made a virginia based tobacco that I have not enjoyed thoroughly. For me, they are the ne plus ultra of virginia blenders. I'm less enamored of their orientals but I still have a few more tins to sample - Latakia Flake, Bombay Extra. But if a virginia flake with perique is your cup of tea, don't miss this one.

This tobacco was passed out as a freebie at the recent 2005 Kansas City Pipe Show. I've just gone through three bowls in two days and it's solid.

The broken flake breaks up easily. It lights and stays lit easily. It is easy to detect the various leaf, including the Perique which doesn't wallop the palate. Instead, I received just a gentle kiss of that Louisiana product which was added in masterful and delicate pinches.

A little light for me to consume regularly, but still powerful enough to demand some attention every now and then.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)

Visually, this tobacco presents very similarly to two other McClelland VaPers: Beacon Extra and St James Woods. Lovely, dark broken flake. And like it's cousins, also shares that signature McClelland tin note. Lights easy, burns well. Smokes very dry relative to the moisture level of the broken flakes in the tin, and drier than it's cousin blends. Perhaps due to this toasting process?

I would describe this blend as a milder version of Beacon Extra. A fine tobacco, but not one that jumps out in this crowded field. A fine choice for the regular VaPer smoker- just don't expect to be overwhelmed. I'm not sure what the toasting process is, but it definitely mellows and smooths out the smoke. The Virginias are very tame and well-behaved in this one. And the McClelland VA tang is deep in the background. Overall a fine VaPer blend.

Like most McClelland Virginias, improves dramatically with some extra-extended dry time. Like most VaPers, improves with age.

Similar Blends: McClelland - St. James Woods (Personal Reserve).

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As Virginia/Perique combinations go, this is probably one of the better ones out there. I enjoyed the pungent aroma of this one from the moment I popped the tin and took a whiff. The broken flake can be further rubbed for a more even burn and the smoke was very cool and dry. Perique lovers should give Bayou Slices a try. The lemon Virginia puts the pucker meter at the middle of the scale and it adds refinement and body to the peppery Perique.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)

After reading the many reviews on Bayou Slice I had to give it a go. My first perique blend. I have been a tad disappointed with it so far but im not giving up. The tin that I have needs plenty of drying out right off the bat. I have had some trouble keeping my bowl glowing and there is plenty of gurgle. However the subtle sweetness to this blend is wonderful!!! And I personally love the room note this gives off. Im going to switch to a corncob to see what results I get. To be continued.......

UPDATE..... Ive let this dry out for almost a month. My last go at this was somewhat of a disappointment but what a diffrence even minimal aging does. I also switched to a narrow Bueshers corncob after a suggestion from down below and it has made all the diffrence. No bite to speak of and no gurgle. A complete 180! The spiciness of the perique is very evident and a very welcome addition to my rotation. Also the vinegar smell is all but gone. Ive actually been somking more of this after some dry time than my other tobaccos as of late.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This subtle VaPer is a bit sweeter than St. James Woods and with less Perique. It also has less from the "vinegar" taste so common in McClelland's tobaccos. Both are great, and are a must try for any Vaper fan.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)

I have smoked this for a few years now. Every time I come across it in a store, I grap it. Its brother, McClellands 'St. James Flake', is more available in the few shops I have around. If memory serves me well in tastes, I would say the only difference in the two is the toasting of the Bayou Slices. The toasting does the flake a favor in flavor. Tangy, sweet, peppery, earthy and; unlike St. James, ready to smoke without any drying. The last tin I found in a shop in Ashville, NC had been on the shelf since 2005. I opened it more than 5 years after the tinning date, WOW!! It made me wish I could buy this in bulk and age it myself. 5 years was probably to long to age, maybe three would be perfect. Anyway, it was the best 50 grams of tobacco I ever smoked. An unaged tin of this still gets a 4 star rating, but an aged tin is now my all time favorite.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)

This broken flake arrived ready too smoke out of the tin. Some drying time may be preferrable for smoking in larger bowled pipes as this blend does burn hot but has not yet bit. This blend can be classified as more of a PerVA than a VAPer as the Perique dominates. The Perique is clearly well aged and of high quality as it is never harsh except for the first few puffs which is natural. The virginias provide an excellent woody/nutty/toasty sweet base for the zesty/leathery/peppery Perique leaf. This blend is perfectly balanced offering a nice volume of smoke throughout the bowl. I find myslef puffing greddily on the last peppery ashes wishing I wasn't done. Flavors I noticed in this smoke where of cajun spice, light hazlenut, and good toast. Highly recommended for lovers of Perique and natural virginias. Maybe not a good introduction to Perique for the inexperienced. Enjoy.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

Chamber Gauge: Narrow

What I received in the tin was more of a broken flake than the true, well formed flake that I prefer but this may have been unusual. The ketchup tin aroma, typical of many McClelland blends, was evident although not overpowering. Lighting and packing were easy and a smoke without relights, condensation or bite resulted. I think that there was a nice balance between the Perique and the VAs. However, compared to some of their bulk offerings, I don't see see that much difference to warrant smoking this blend and find 2015 just as enjoyable.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

The brother to the new latakia flake. I'm smoking it now in my exile from New Orleans.

Mild smoking and medium flavor. Not as heavy as latakia flake. Ready for rubbing.

The tang of twany flake is again subdued, this time by some perique. Just enough spice to make it interesting, but not heavy or sharp. But not terribly complex either.

I like it fine as non bite version of virginia-perique flake. Enough strength to be satisfying through the day. Only time now to smoke a bowl a day. Worth the investment.

This tin now has 9 months age and it still smokes hot and spicy. It starts out sweet, then sweet and sour , then just sour, then it goes flat. I won't buy again

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not going to spend a lot of time on this review--it was a bit disappointing. Overall I found Bayou Slices just too flatly bland and lacking in complexity, almost monochromatic, to suit my tastes. The tin aroma was certainly promising, but that promise was not fulfilled in the flavor. There was sufficient body in the smoke, but I can't bring myself to describe this blend as "rich"--it falls somewhere short of that.

While I can smoke this flake from time-to-time, I just don't get much enjoyment out of it. It probably deserves 2-stars, but nothing higher.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Given the successful effort creating St. James Woods, I just don't see the justification for McClelland producing Bayou Slices. The "slices" are more like wood chips of tobacco, thick and tough to keep smoldering. It leaves a sooty taste in my mouth and smells akin to a cigarette burning. SJW rarely bites me and each time I smoked BS, my tongue was sore. I think it is actually a well-layered blend in terms of flavors, with even something Turkish lurking in the shadows, but I cannot check enough boxes to warrant spending more time exploring. YMMV

This is probably the end of my tests of Blakeney's Best series, having smoked Acadian Ribbon (loved it) and Latakia Flake, which is a bit of al'right. Tawny Flake's tin description, along with the TR reviewers, just haven't drawn me in.