A typical English mixture of classic Virginia with 30% latakia. Bright burley added to round up the flavor. Partially granulated to assure steady burning with no top flavoring added.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & co.
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging50 grams pouch, 50 grams tin
Strength
Taste

2.7

English? I suppose. A good VaBur with a decent dose of Latakia? Definitely. For me the VaBur portion overshadows the Latakia by a bit. The Lat does make a decent showing though. It's sweet, mildly earthy, and smoky. There's a slight resemblance to Comoy's Cask #1 and to C&D's Crooked Lane. Mild to medium in body and medium in flavor. I have enjoyed smoking it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody with some sweetness as an important component. The burleys are nutty sweet and a little toasty ina support role. The Virginia is mildly citrusy, grassy and a little on the dull side, which hurts the blend. Fairly consistent in flavor, it never gets harsh, though I experience a dull note or two toward the finish. The nic-hit is mild. Burns fairly cool at a moderate rate, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. requires an average number of relights. Two and half stars because the Virginia just doesn't help out enough.

Savinelli - English Mixture.

The aroma coming from the blend is a fairly full one. The mix is very robust and chunky, appearing to be a fair selection of the different types of tobacco. I cant complain about it being too damp or too dry, it is great in that area.

This one is really easy to get lit, only taking a couple of light touches with the flame, then it burns consistently. To be fair, with the flavour the Latakia remains quite delicate, not at all unnoticeable, just not like the Lat-Bomb I expected! The Latakia level, as delicate as it may be, actually works well as rather than hogging the playing field it actually allows the Burley and Virginia to have their say, in perfect harmony with one and other. If you (like me) are a Latakia Lover if you retro-hale the smoke the Latakia is somewhat increased! Nicotine level now, a very pleasant amount, neither loads nor too faint. The room-note is a good one as it is not too full so is not that off-putting for any of the "Anti Pipe" brigade! I think that this would make an excellent all day smoke, not too strong or too false, in fact a very steady smoke!

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: Smoke King

Skoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skoma (27)

I am usually not into Latakia mixtures but for some reason i gave this one a try. Surprisingly i wasn´t disapointed at all. The blend is easy to smoke perfectly out of the tin. It never bites and isn´t overly strong. I would describe the Aroma as earthy, wooden and a little sour at first, there´s also the typical campfire thing from the Latakia. At second there comes a mild sweetness, maybe a lttle caramel in the background? A taste i discovered in many K&K blends... Don´t get me wrong, there´s just a nuance of this fine sweetness shimmering through here and there. I recomend this mixture to smokers who take their first step into english mixtures and those who like tasty but not to strong blends. 3 stars

Pipe Used: various

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)

I purchased this one as I fancied a lat bomb for a change and, with a 30% latakia content in this one according to the blurb, I was hoping that this might fit the bill. I half expected a Commonwealth Mixture-lite, turns out I got something else.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by a strange smell, something strangely sweet yet with hints of latakia, possibly reminding me of marzipan and icing on my mother's christmas cake. The packing and lighting are easy enough. Sadly, for me anyway, it's there the fun ends. The smoke is by and large a mess of roughness, like smoking gravel. Occasionally hints of something vaguely pleasant and sweet pop through, but lasts nowhere near long enough to make it anything like a pleasurable smoke. There's also a little hint of Latakia at the start but it disappears under a mess of rough pretty quick. It's not like I was gunning it either, I was making a point of smoking it slowly after the first couple of bowls to no avail.

I am conspicuously aware that I am going against the general grain of opinion on here, and could well be that I am wrong but I found this stuff as near as damn it unsmokeable, my near completion of the tin, though obviously proving that it isn't, is nonetheless more proof of patience and stamina than any pleasure or smokeability derived from the tobacco. The thing is, while I was hoping for a lat-bomb, I could have got over the disappointment of a mild one if this had been a decent tobacco. It could be I got a bad tin, though I won't tempt fate and buy another. Sadly, I will have disagree the the general weight of opinion and award this a lonely star.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It is not that I hate this tobacco so much as I do not care for it. I like English blends and, when I ran across this at my local B&M, I was intrigued. I purchased a tin, really on the "Savinelli" name strength. I found it hard to light and keep lit and the flavor, such as it isn't, is very flat. There simply is not much there. To me, smoking this is like smoking nothing. I was somewhat amazed when I logged on here and saw all of the great reviews for it. I would have to give it only two stars. Perhaps it is good for a new pipe smoker, feeling his way around. I have smoked about a third of the tin now and it is not getting any better. I shall use the rest to cut more powerful mixtures and mellow them. I can see it being good to be used in thsi way for more experienced pipe smokers.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked this several times and after many years my thoughts stay the same. I bought 5 tins several years ago. It is a habit that I have with a smoke and save ideal. I love blends with lat. This one kind of flounders. Smell is good with a strong woodsy smell. A lot like campfire of old. Thanks lat. Taste here is just very in and out. I don't care for looking for my flavor. It should be there and not come in waves. It makes my OCD just a little crazy.

Pipe Used: Captain Black

Age When Smoked: Tin - 5 years

Purchased From: Mannheim Germany

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Mild None Detected Medium Strong

I actually liked it. Nothing spectacular, but a solid English blend with a good dose of Latakia. The cut makes it burning slowly and cool and the burley makes some nutty appearance, I could not taste a lot from the Virginias (if there are any). Liked it at least so much, that I cellared another tin.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I picked up a tin of this because I am into English blends. I must say that this blend lacks a lot in the nicotine department. I find the taste and room note to be more of an American English blend to it. Having the burley in instead of orientals really makes this one a miss for me. It packs, lights and smokes down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe. But with the lacking nicotine, it just leaves me wanting more. I would recommend this for those wanting to see what an English is like and for those who have problems with too much nicotine.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (74)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My first try with a Savinelli blend and rather disappointing.

Tin note brings expectations of a good English blend with some Latakia well present as one expects from that kind of blend.

Smoking is not up to the expectations: very mild, Latakia quite behind the flavoring. I have smoked half the tin using different bowls and my appreciation is the same whatever the bowl. Even some bites on the tongue.

Somewhat recommended to the smoker reluctant to look for a stronger blend.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

Nice English blend. Sweet and smoky. Pretty complex, but leaning more toward a smoky sweetness.

Reccomended, pretty different than a lot of other english blends.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Despite the touch of Burley, this is an outstanding classic English mixture which burns evenly from top to bottom of the bowl delivering the spice and smokiness you would expect in an English blend with no added flavors.

Among English mixtures, Savinellí's is on the sweet, velvety and slightly mild side of the spectrum. A must try.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike other Savinelli tobacco, this blend is great! Well-balanced ratio of Latakia, Virginia and a small amount of burley. Burns evenly, has a light sweet note, probably of Burley and Virginia. Room note is tolerable, excellent for full-time tobacco smoking.

Although new to the TRC database, this blend has been around for awhile. It is a somewhat cubed English/American style tobacco as there is plenty of Burley here.

I noted an unusually mild "English" taste with the Burley giving the blend some oomph. The Virginia base is noticiable, yet mild. It burns quickly and for the most part, is very cool. Just a little harshness in the back of the palate tells me the Virginia leaf is not quite as spectacular in quality as some blends of this nature. Still, one could do far worse (and, I have), than smoking this weed.