A typical English mixture of classic Virginia with 30% Latakia. Bright Burley added to round up the flavor. Partially granulated to assure steady burning with no top flavoring added.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & co.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging50g Pouch, 50g Tin
Strength
Taste

English? I suppose. A good VaBur with a decent dose of Latakia? Definitely. For me the VaBur portion overshadows the Latakia by a bit. The Lat does make a decent showing though. It's sweet, mildly earthy, and smoky. There's a slight resemblance to Comoy's Cask #1 and to C&D's Crooked Lane. Mild to medium in body and medium in flavor. I have enjoyed smoking it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I hate to trample on all these great reviews here. It seems many who have tried it simply like it and thats perfectly fine in the world of pipe tobacco. Everyone enjoys something very well while some others do not.

Buit because theres not one review for this blend that is somthing on the negative side I feel compelled to add my distinctive observations and add to the balance for a more accurate average.

I chose to sample this blend actually based on the positive reviews posted here. I wanted to try my first English blend and this blend seemed to be an reasonable representation of one.

When I first open the tin the note was surprizingly strong. The volume of toby was very compressed in a cupcake style baking cup to preserve its freshness in the tin. It did its job quite well indeed. This tin smells very much like a campfire of burning oak. It is a strong tin note BTW.

My first few puffs were met with the difficulty of keeping it lit. Just a bit damp but not enough to discourage me. Once it was properly lit in burned slowly and very cool. Although it needs to be mentioned that if you're a power puffer chances are you can get tongue bite.

I lite this right out of the tin and after successfully liting it my first sensation was attracted to the room note. This stuff smells like ann oak campfire with wee bit of muck (as in a muck fire) on the side. So its not something I would encourage to be smoked in the house unless perhaps you are blessed to have a fireplace in the house. If not I highly reccomend trying it on the back porch.

Then after wafting the room note and agreeing that is was tolerable to most bystanders I was hit with the flavor. Woah nelly this is different. Campfire tongue. I could taste the Oak alright but there was something else there that reminded me of a rubbish fire in a toxic way. Latakia is smoke cured with Oak and (I'll never understand this next one) Pine. Out of the tin it's a bit overwhelming on the tongue so I set it aside for 3 days in a container that I could open once a day and let it breath for 15 min. I fluffed up the material and close it up once a day.

This evening I smoked another bowl. It definately calmed down to the medium level of flavor. Much easier on the tongue and room note is the same but less intense.

The Oak flavor is interestiingly curious in a tobacco. Its not offensive and its not mouth watering either. I can get oak flavor from my firepit in the yard anytime I want. But it never occured to me to cure toby with it thus getting it flavored as well which makes it for me... curious. The rubbish Toxic flavor is pretty much gone. barely discernable if at all. The burely seems to round it off pretty much blending it in to a decent nutty background.

Virginia? I waited and waited for the flavor to come through. I had to look for it and it was there in a very subtle way.

The tin boasts a ratio of Latakia at 30% and yet no other notes are there about the Virginia or Burley which would have been intersting to know.

Do I like this blend? NO... do I hate this blend? No not at all. Would I buy it again? Too soon to tell honestly. Its going back into stasis for a few more months and see what it has to offer then. I won't give it away to an English fan. I think after its sits for a spell it will have the potential (for my taste buds) to be a pleasant change of pace in my current rotation. Albeit a rare one though.

I reccomend trying it for sure if you're curious about english blends and to see if it may be something you might like. Its not a waste of money compared to a few other tobys I've tried.

4-24-11 Updated NOTE:.... Yep its rubbish flavor dominates over time. Whatever it is simply destroys the true characteristics and flavor of latakia. I'm taking this down to 1 star as I cannot even recommend buy this just to sample it and waste your money. If you want to sample some get onto a pipe smoking forum and ask around. I'm sure you'll find someone willing to share a few bowls with you.

Savinelli English Mixture . The Aroma coming from the blend is a fairly full one with a slight touch of liquor to it . The mix is very robust and chunky , appearing to be a fair selection of the different types of Tobacco . I cant complain about it being too damp or too dry , it is great in that area . This one is really easy to get lit , only taking a couple of light touches with the flame , then it burns consistently . To be fair , with the flavour the Latakia remains quite delicate , not at all unnoticeable , just not like the Lat-Bomb I expected ! The Latakia level , as delicate as it may be , actually works well as rather than hogging the playing field it actually allows the Burley and Virginia to have their say , in perfect harmony with one and other . If you (like me) are a "Latakia Lover" if you Retro-Hale the Smoke the Latakia is somewhat increased ! Nicotine level now , a very pleasant amount , neither loads nor too faint . The Room-Note is a good one as it is not too full so is not that off-putting for any of the "Anti Pipe" brigade ! I think that this would make an excellent all day Smoke , not too strong or too false , in fact a very steady smoke !

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: Smoke King

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I purchased this one as I fancied a lat bomb for a change and, with a 30% latakia content in this one according to the blurb, I was hoping that this might fit the bill. I half expected a Commonwealth Mixture-lite, turns out I got something else.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by a strange smell, something strangely sweet yet with hints of latakia, possibly reminding me of marzipan and icing on my mother's christmas cake. The packing and lighting are easy enough. Sadly, for me anyway, it's there the fun ends. The smoke is by and large a mess of roughness, like smoking gravel. Occasionally hints of something vaguely pleasant and sweet pop through, but lasts nowhere near long enough to make it anything like a pleasurable smoke. There's also a little hint of Latakia at the start but it disappears under a mess of rough pretty quick. It's not like I was gunning it either, I was making a point of smoking it slowly after the first couple of bowls to no avail.

I am conspicuously aware that I am going against the general grain of opinion on here, and could well be that I am wrong but I found this stuff as near as damn it unsmokeable, my near completion of the tin, though obviously proving that it isn't, is nonetheless more proof of patience and stamina than any pleasure or smokeability derived from the tobacco. The thing is, while I was hoping for a lat-bomb, I could have got over the disappointment of a mild one if this had been a decent tobacco. It could be I got a bad tin, though I won't tempt fate and buy another. Sadly, I will have disagree the the general weight of opinion and award this a lonely star.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It is not that I hate this tobacco so much as I do not care for it. I like English blends and, when I ran across this at my local B&M, I was intrigued. I purchased a tin, really on the "Savinelli" name strength. I found it hard to light and keep lit and the flavor, such as it isn't, is very flat. There simply is not much there. To me, smoking this is like smoking nothing. I was somewhat amazed when I logged on here and saw all of the great reviews for it. I would have to give it only two stars. Perhaps it is good for a new pipe smoker, feeling his way around. I have smoked about a third of the tin now and it is not getting any better. I shall use the rest to cut more powerful mixtures and mellow them. I can see it being good to be used in thsi way for more experienced pipe smokers.

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Mild None Detected Medium Strong

I actually liked it. Nothing spectacular, but a solid English blend with a good dose of Latakia. The cut makes it burning slowly and cool and the burley makes some nutty appearance, I could not taste a lot from the Virginias (if there are any). Liked it at least so much, that I cellared another tin.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (137)

I picked up a tin of this because I am into English blends. I must say that this blend lacks a lot in the nicotine department. I find the taste and room note to be more of an American English blend to it. Having the burley in instead of orientals really makes this one a miss for me. It packs, lights and smokes down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe. But with the lacking nicotine, it just leaves me wanting more. I would recommend this for those wanting to see what an English is like and for those who have problems with too much nicotine.

Waxerboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Waxerboy (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent tobacco, mild and pleasurable from the start to finishing the bowl. Wonderful taste on the tongue and palate without any tongue or lip bite.

The only downside is when opening the tin to the smell of old train sleepers. But hey ho once the pipe is alight the tobacco burns beautifully from the start to the finish.

This is a must for all serious pipe smokers.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My first try with a Savinelli blend and rather disappointing.

Tin note brings expectations of a good English blend with some Latakia well present as one expects from that kind of blend.

Smoking is not up to the expectations: very mild, Latakia quite behind the flavoring. I have smoked half the tin using different bowls and my appreciation is the same whatever the bowl. Even some bites on the tongue.

Somewhat recommended to the smoker reluctant to look for a stronger blend.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

Nice English blend. Sweet and smoky. Pretty complex, but leaning more toward a smoky sweetness.

Reccomended, pretty different than a lot of other english blends.

Torb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Torb (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A great smoke! A mild oaty taste with a nice sweet tone. Burns really well and tastes great right down to the last puff! I will never smoke another aromatic after trying this. Top marks from me!

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Despite the touch of Burley, this is an outstanding classic English mixture which burns evenly from top to bottom of the bowl delivering the spice and smokiness you would expect in an English blend with no added flavors.

Among English mixtures, Savinellí's is on the sweet, velvety and slightly mild side of the spectrum. A must try.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this English blend from Cigar Emporium in Walnut Creek; I was looking for Davidoff English Mixture. This was what he had in stock at the time so I decided to give it a try; I wasn't disappointed.

This in my opinion is a very mild to medium English blend. The tin aroma is very close to that of Mac Baren Mature Virginia but has a strong smokey note from the Latakia. I have only smoked it twice, but that's more than enough for me to know that this is a very nice, medium strength English; it packs well, lights well, stays lit and will not bite!

I noticed that this blend will smoke wet when rushed but will not bite. It has a sweet, creamy note close to that of a smooth single malt scotch, I believe it's from the Virginia and Burley in the mix. The Latakia, I believe is what keeps the Virginias in check so you don't get that all too familiar snapping Virginia attitude. It smokes very cool and my pipe NEVER got hot; to me...that's a plus!

This blend WILL be very bland and boring if you are looking for something. If you take it for what it is you will very pleased. I highly recommend this blend to beginning as well as seasoned smokers. It is a very smooth relaxing smoke.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike other Savinelli tobacco, this blend is great! Well-balanced ratio of Latakia, Virginia and a small amount of burley. Burns evenly, has a light sweet note, probably of Burley and Virginia. Room note is tolerable, excellent for full-time tobacco smoking.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

im a fan of english mix tobaccos with latakia and this blend is awesome,very good mix in my opinion.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

Very nice English with a woodsy, leathery, flavor with a hint of Scotch. Creamy texture to the smoke. Smells like an English Pub without the fish and chips. I like it after a meal in the evening. Room note however is not a winner with the wife, so I smoke it outdoors.

TImothyRuin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TImothyRuin (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

My first review here, and far most best tobacco I have at the moment. I'm a beginner pipe smoker, so the flavour and strengthness is just perfect to me.

I can sence a nice "smokyness" in aroma, and that is what I was after. I was trying to find some tobacco which has a good taste of campfire smoke, and I found it.

It was my first tin back, so I keep in vallue, and smoke it when I wanna go to sleep with a good mind and taste in mouth, and remember a pleasant moment last evening.

It ended up quite short one, but.... ;)

Although new to the TRC database, this blend has been around for awhile. It is a somewhat cubed English/American style tobacco as there is plenty of Burley here.

I noted an unusually mild "English" taste with the Burley giving the blend some oomph. The Virginia base is noticiable, yet mild. It burns quickly and for the most part, is very cool. Just a little harshness in the back of the palate tells me the Virginia leaf is not quite as spectacular in quality as some blends of this nature. Still, one could do far worse (and, I have), than smoking this weed.