Blending Tobacco. High grade Old Belt Red Virginia cut in the easy-burning ribbon style. This naturally sweet leaf not only packs a fine bowl straight from the bag, but also boasts excellent aging potential.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
Strength
Taste

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (17)

I was somewhat surprised by this tobacco since my previous experiences with red virginia was in blends and with McClelland's 5100 Red Virginia. This is no 5100.

Rather dry in the bag, C&D's 525 lights readily and has a strong, almost cigar-like flavor and aroma that develops more as you go down the bowl. There is not a tremendous depth and variety in this tobacco, but there is a good deal of strength and the nicotine level is high.

I find nothing wrong with this tobacco as a straight smoke and imagine that it would blend well with other tobaccos. Unlike McClelland's 5100 I do not forsee blending this with stronger mixtures to cut them back--on the contrary, I can see using this to strengthen those I find lacking.

Although straight virginias are infamous for biting, I have experienced none--and I have a tendency to puff hard and fast.

A tasty tobacco that I reach for when I want a cigarish blend. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Comment = Strong Flavor, has a bit of a Bite, This is not a very good smoke

BoJackson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoJackson (4)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I ordered one pound of the C&D Red Virginia. This tobacco is stronger than I anticipated. I put the whole pound in a crockpot and set it on low for 10 hours. I can now smoke it although it has a big nicotine hit. Good this way or to mix with C&D Virginia Flake.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

It's been a while since this was smoked, but what I remember of it is that there are more satisfying red virginias out there, such as McCranie's Red Ribbon. There are plenty of Red VA-based blends, such as Rattray's Red Rapparee and some Wessex blends.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

Sweet, deeply resonant and strong in flavor. Will bite if handled carelessly like most straight VA tobacco. Very smokey and woodsy - increases in cigar like texture down the bowl. Definitely some aging or stoving could bring out the best in this tobacco. But certainly good as it stands.