4noggins.com

The finest in Matured Virginias, blended with premium Latakia, delicate Turkish leaf and precious Louisiana Perique. A joyful celebration of extraordinary flavors, at once refreshing, intriguing, relaxing.

Notes: Reintroduced in 2009 from a PCCA Blend.

Blended ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

freevito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freevito (5)

It is time I stopped being so doggone selfish in keeping the secret of this extraordinary tobacco to myself. I've shot myself in the foot by keeping quiet about this in the (admittedly shameful) hope that I can scarf up as much of it as possible for my own cellar. Mea culpa. More on that subject below.

Brethren, this is simply the finest tobacco of its kind I have ever smoked. Bob Hamlin has gone to extraordinary lengths to obtain leaf of the very highest quality for all of the PCCA blends, and with Jubilee his blendmeistering has reached its zenith. My first experience with Jubilee was his offering of Jubilee 2000. I bought a couple of tins in my usual conservative strategy of "buy one to smoke now, and one to cellar". I quickly ordered more. Alas, Jubilee 2000 is no more, but Bob recreated his masterpiece as Jubilee 2006.

Upon opening that first tin I was greeted with a cornucopia of the most fabulously complex aromas ever to grace my olfactories. The fruitiness of well-aged, high-sugar Virginias, augmented by the deep toasted sweetness of matured Virginias provides the basic constitution of this wondrous blend. Then comes the magic; a blend of superbly fragrant Orientals pumps up the OOMPH level, fortifying the smoke with richly varied spices and a shot of strength that elevates Jubilee above the commonplace. The Orientals are in perfect harmony with the Virginias, never manifesting that tongue-bashing, yin-yang tug of war that so often accompanies Virginia/Oriental blends. Bob Hamlin's choice of fine Turkweeds is matched only by his careful restraint in measuring them for optimum (not maximum, if you understand the difference) effect. It's a case of less is more, executed with the same kind of mastery that one finds in, say, Greg Pease's milestone Embarcadero.

But hold...there's more still. If you are among those who appreciate the fine art of using Latakia as a subtle spiceweed rather than a tongue bludgeon, you'll find Latweed nirvana in Jubilee. Every time I smoke this stuff, I find myself wondering how so few blenders seem to understand that concept. Here is the pinnacle of that craft -- enough Latakia to make its presence known as a complex condiment, but in sufficiently sparing quantity to ensure that it never dominates the smoke. It is true genius, a term I reserve for a select few blenders like GLP and Rudiger Will.

As if that weren't enough, there is pure magic in the utterly brilliant use of Perique in Jubilee. I'm mentioning it last not because it works as merely another condiment tobacco -- it doesn't -- but because it is the magic ingredient that transforms Jubilee to a thing of rare and delicate beauty. It is even less explicitly detectable than the Orientals and Latakia as an identifiable presence in the blend, and therein lies the masterful essence of its inclusion. That's why it deserves special mention here, apart from the Virginias. The quality it imparts is more than that of even the most harmonious VaPers. It would be a mistake to say, "Ah, well...Jubilee is a Virginia/Perique blend with added Orientals and Latakia." Nope...not by a long shot. The Perique in Jubilee is a supple and unfathomable ghost that works in synergy with the other components -- not just the Virginias, but all of the tobaccos -- in a way that has no equal in my 43+ years of pipe smoking(as of this writing).

Today (November 6, 2007), Bob Hamlin's "The Smokers Pipeline" newsletter announced that his stock of Jubilee was all but exhausted, and that he has no plans to make more. Unacceptable. That's what I meant by shooting myself in the foot. It's time the pipe smoking community discovered this little-known secret -- a truly classic manifestation of the weed blender's art at its finest. I invite everyone to hammer Mr. Hamlin (http://www.pipeguy.net/Tobacco.htm) mercilessly until he recants his heresy and relents with a reissue of Jubilee. There's a reason why it has sold out in all of its past versions. I beseech one and all to pester Bob to make more so you can smoke some for yourself and find out why.

Vito

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

SMOOOOOTH, no other way to describe this blend. My tin was dated 2009 when opened, so it did have 2 years of age on it. My first reaction was that this tobacco is just too mild, nothing jumps out, here is another one for the "Blah" bin. Then I started to crave this blend at some very odd times of the day; the first pipe of the day, it wasn't harsh but it seems to have enough "N" for a pick me up, then the middle of the day , working in the yard where I really wasn't paying attention , then the last pipe of the day, where I needed my touch of "N" and my tongue was on its last legs. The tobacco claims to have Latakia and Perique, but they are only in very minor amounts and the Virginia does not come forward with a big shot of sweetness or heat. I would say that the "Turkish" tobaccos ( I really don't know what the difference between Orientals & Turkish are) is the predominant player .There is no bite , no moisture , packs and burns perfectly out of the tin, no ketchup, no spicy hot, just a well balance smooth smoke that when sipped has a complex nature that holds your interest. I find myself, saying after finishing a bowl, " Wow, that was good, now what do I want? Well maybe one more bowl of Jubilee" . I'm sure this will stay in my rotation

Updated 12/21/11- This is a very hard blend to classify. No one component dominates, as a matter of fact, you can't even detect each component as they all work in perfect harmony . The latakie is not smoky, the Turkish is not cheesy, the Perique is not peppery and the Virginia is not hay like or sweet. Actually the blend has a sour note. One thing this blend does have is SMOOOOTHNESS. It is so smooth that you don't even notice the "N" creeping up on you, but it's there. It is also difficult to determine how to describe the flavor of this blend, nothing jumps out, but there are subtleties. I detect a cocoa flavor, that is most prominent when you first light up, but hidden way in the background is a "Wintergreen" flavor (it's not, but no other way to describe it),you have to search for it. Overall a very pleasant flavor and one that gives a great change of pace from the other blends in my rotation. I will keep this around. The second half of the bowl tends to get bitter and I do like Wilderness slightly better because it has a stronger cocoa flavor. Tin improves with a few weeks of breathing and drying, still 4 stars.

kckijana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kckijana (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me first state I have some bias with Jubilee. It is my favorite tobacco bar none. Even Penzance. The first tin was a chance selection at my favorite local shop when I first tried English blends. I was a fan immediately and it pulled me to try many other fine Mc blends.

Very subtle sweetness from the VA and some spicy from Orientals. The Latakia is there, but not too strong. All day smoke that rewards your undivided attention with some complexity just beneath the surface. I'm slowly stocking up with some 2008 tins. It has aged very well.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm struggling with this review. Not because I can't decide if I like Jubilee - I love it! But how to describe it? Although I typically favor richer, fuller tobaccos, this one has probably become one of my top one or two mild oriental blends with enough complexity to keep it interesting throughout the smoke.

Perfect moisture level in the tin, which to me means not very moist at all. Packs nicely and burns wonderfully. From the first match, the flavors start out as a bit nutty, a touch of "old dusty attic" (in a good way), toasty and warm, with the orientals firmly in the foreground.

The Latakia is barely noticeable to me, and this in corroborated in the appearance - mostly bright and chestnut browns with only the occasional dark leaf (Latakia and Perique). The Perique, too, is barely there, in fact I can barely notice it during the first two-thirds of the bowl. It's one of those "I can't pick it out in the flavors, but I would probably notice if it were gone" kind of things, but the last third brings out a bit more of the Perique spice. I think this is an ideal blend for those who are averse to large doses of Latakia but want to try a mild English-slanting blend.

It takes a lot of effort to get Jubilee to bite, and I like to vary the temperature, from sipping to full-on puffing, for a variety of taste experiences. Lower temperatures seem to favor the spicy and slightly floral notes of the orientals, while turning up the heat seems to pull in the blended flavors of Perique and Virginias.

My tin is three years old and I haven't tried it fresh, so I can't tell how this will age. With very long term aging, I might worry about the small amounts of Latakia and Perique getting lost, but then that may be just the thing that will cause it to develop further grace and character. Ah, the mystery!

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)

A mixture of brown, chestnut, black, and tan broken ribbons with a nutty, caramel aroma that is slightly sweet. A bit on the springy side, the mixture packs with moderate ease and burns well.

Structurally, Jubilee is a complex mixture comprised of bright and matured Virginias, Turkish leaf, a pinch of Perique, and a dash of Latakia. Somewhat bright with a nutty tang, in the bowl it offers alternately sweet and earthy notes of sugared pecans, dried apricots, marmalade, and wood. Although the fragrant Orientals remain in the forefront for much of the bowl, the Virginias, unmistakably McClelland, are sweet with a mixture of zest and depth which provides an interesting counterpoint. While the Turkish leaf lends an overall sour-savory character to the mixture, a certain tartness from the Perique appears now and again. Applied with a very light hand, the (Syrian?) Latakia sits shyly in the background, its role ultimately unclear. A nutty, pecan-like note persists throughout the bowl. Medium bodied with a soft and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, it offers a dry, semi-sweet finish.

Jubilee is a blend which confounds, and in all honesty this reviewer stands at a loss when it comes to the question of how it might be situated among other Virginia-Oriental preparations. Its particular components place it in general range of the other post-PCCA McClelland offerings, especially Tudor Castle / Arcade and Orient 996 Vintage 2007 (with the Virginias of Aurora being citable as well), and those who have experience with McClelland offerings will find a number of the flavors it offers quite familiar. At the same time, however, Jubilee clearly stands out as a mixture all its own which has, in this reviewer's experience, no immediate parallel in overall effect. While it will not become an everyday smoke in these parts, a small stash will duly be cellared for future sampling.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice "light" English mixture, with mostly Virginias and a touch of Orientals, Latakia and Perique. I guess the mildness of the flue cured leaf make the others tobaccos stand out more than I expected from the look in the tin. Anyway, by mid bowl it tends to flatten and get a little bit boring for my taste. Great tobacco, anyway.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (139)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one very classy blend. The aroma from the tin tells you that you are in for a very special treat. My tin had two years of age on it. The flavor is soft and silky. All the condimental leaf is used sparingly, but the taste is well-rounded and flavorful. Burns very cool. A very refined blend like nothing I've experienced before. I'm tempted to compare it to other blends, but I think it's in a class all it's own. The virginias are slightly sweet and the turkish and perique play off each other. The latakia is further in the background. It has an inordinate amount of flavor for such a mild blend. This is best sipped like a fine wine. Holds your attention from start to finish. A wonderful example of the art of fine blending. Thank you Bob Hamlin.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This is one of those blends that tested my patience in that I had to force myself to leave it be till it recd 2 full years in the cellar.

Tin note has the McVinegar, but with some sweet, almost Cav scents as well. It wasn't till I tried this in a MizzMeer cob that I got a grip on the nuances of Jubilee, as my briars overwhelmed the tastes.

What i get now is a subtle shifting from Va sugary enough to resemble good cavendish, some spiceness from the perique, with an oft intermittent coolness reminiscent of how menthols affect the palate. All that in a single bowl.

Another sly fact bout this blend is that while it is smooth to the point of Early Morning Pipe, the nicotine will creep up on you by bowls-end.

I prefer to pack this densely, it smokes slower than many blends ive tried despite it being dry upon opening. I would recommend this as a transition from aros to English tobys, and I. Would think established veterans would appreciate the subtleties that this blend has to offer.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Tin date 1011

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Red Rappiere meets EMP ?.

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)

Lightly sweet, delicate and complex. If a full, dark English blend is Baroque, Jubilee is more rococo - light and playful, exuberant without being full of itself.

The Latakia here is fragrant and floral, the merest touch of perique adds a subtle bass note. The oriental note is hardly identifiable on its own, but it's there providing a nice counterpoint. What perfect harmony! If Haydn were a pipe smoker, he would have smoked Jubilee.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

Similar to orient 996 but much balanced, therefore much better. Though you have to go through "open the lid, forget for a couple months" ritual, the result is very very rewarding. for details you may want to read my orient 996 review.

Lets wrap. I want a pool full of jubilee and play the scrooge mcduck. That's it.

WOWuzela!

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Strong

Tin: tin date-2008. Definitely a toasted sweetness of light syrup-toast, maybe partly due to a light oriental background. A mahogany hue, dark tan with a few flecks of black. Barely supple to a tad dry. Standard ribbon cut. No residue left on the fingers.

Taste & Aroma: Nice, smooth and mellow, but nothing stands out. Maybe a tad bit of earthy tones but has a stale almond aroma.

Nicotine: Moderate to strong

Overall: Nice, smooth, and mellow, but nothing distinguishing, with a stale aroma.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

Nicotine: Moderate to strong

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (32)

color and cut are great and this air pocket packs very nicely. the taste is pure, sweet, and unique. this obviously is choice tobacco of all the types in the blend. i thought that i would like it before opening the tin simply becuase it was a mcllelands vaper, i just didnt know how much. i have it sitting next to a tin of frog morton on the bayou and find that i prefer the jubilee. the only thing negative that i would suggest is that the tin artwork is somewhat plain when compared to many of the offerings today, don't let this deter you, buy it for what is inside.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is incredible. Light English? Whatever... it's sweet, full, tasty, biteless.... best all day tobacco ever. This stuff is stupidly good. Perfectly balanced flavors, excellent smoking properties. Wow.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The blend is a winner and with the nice sugary Virginans, will age well. As someone mentioned, the Virginia's used definately have that McCLelland tang. The latakia is there and adds nicely to the blend but does not feature prominently. The oriental and perique add complexity. This is a good smoke for a "vaper" smoker who wants a bit of latakia now and then or a latakia smoker wo wants a more upfront vaper experience. It's sweet and for me, goes well with an ice tea on the porch on a hot day. Going to buy two cans for my long-term stash. Also bought this with Oriental 969 which is similar. At this point in my testing, I am leaning towards Jubilee due to the latakia.

oldsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsouth (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is simply one of the best latakia blends ever. If you are looking for a power house latakia dominated blend then look elsewhere. This blend delivers in all categories,sweet,smooth,flavor packed.

Bye Bye Early Morning pipe. Try it boys it will not disappoint!!

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)

Freevito pretty much covers it, but i have to say how good this is. To me it tastes like buttered cashews that have been dug up from an ashtray from lasts nights party. sounds bad but oh is it good. this blend screams to be smoked in an old calabash pipe with an amber stem. If you are fortunate to own a turn of the century barling, pack it with jubilee and enjoy!