A Tarler/Runowski blend for getting your day started or any other time of day or night. Reminiscent of a classic Dunhill blend devoted to morning puffing.

Blended ByTarler/Runowski
Packaging2 oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I think Craig Tarler "nailed" EMP with Good Morning Blend. I am delighted that he is willing to provide a noble replacement of a famous blend no longer available.

I have always favored mild English blends. I prefer Latakia in small doses. Like I use pepper on eggs, just enough to know it is there.

I also love the larger cut of this tobacco. It smokes very cool and very tasty. This blend meets all my expectations for a light English non-aromatic. Good Morning will be an ideal blend to recommend to the first time smoker of Latakia. All things considered, another four-star blend from C&D.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to admit I love the Dunhil EMP, in fact I still have about 2 lbs of it left. So who better to tell you if the two are the same or not. I usually despise copy blends and wont even try them. But with the coaxing of a friend, I reluctantly gave it a shot. The color of the tobacco was very similar, but the cut seemed a bit different. As far as taste, it seems this one was close too. I do think that the tobacco could benefit from some aging. The herbal taste that EMP is famous for is intact for this one. I am very happy with that. The strength is on par with EMP. Overall with a year or so of aging this might be a very good substitute, for a tragically not available blend.

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

After over 40 years of pipe smoking,( I just love it), I have yet to find , until now, a blender(s) that can reincarnate lost items (recipes/blending) that C&D can do. A big fan of pre-outsourced Dunhill smokes, I, too, was at a lost for replication until now. Good Morning is about as close as you can get to EMP, (maybe a little aging might help to be right on), of the several submissions by other blenders-A.M. Pipe is also very close. GM is my wake-up pipe in the morning, with a cup of black coffee to start enjoying another day, and on occasion settles in for an all-day (I smoke between 8- 10 bowlfuls daily of varying English/Balkan blends with an occasional aromatic) smoke. Very delightful for newbies and aromatic converts to begin a new adventure.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: Appearance is similar to EMP, a very light brown hue with blonde, brown, and black here and there. A rather varied cut, thick broad cut to medium ribbon, with pieces of flake intermixed. Light smoky latakia and musty smells. Practically dry. Tin date on bottom: 042709.

Packing & Burning: Packing was a small concern, with the varied cut. Produces moisture from time to time that is bitter. Takes two relights down the bowl and puffing effort.

Taste & Aroma: Initially mild, slowly becoming somewhat richer. Smoky latakia does not stand out. An herbal spicy oriental is present. It is a refreshing and sweet aroma that is incense-like. The orientals take center stage, but while they are refreshing, there is a raw edge or green taste. Something tasted vaguely green or immature. Maybe it is the variety of oriental used. My reference for orientals is McClelland's Blending Oriental. While BO is tasty sweet, almost carmelized, GM is mildly sweet but green. While BO is fragrant and mellow, GM is also slightly bitter or tangy.

McClelland's Blended Turkish Ribbon is close to the flavor of the oriental variety used in GM, I suspect mostly Izmir.

The VA's in GM are lightly stoved, more like browned, because a toasty flavor provides the background.

In the last 1/3, it does settle down and become a little creamy, the green taste diminishing.

Nicotine: Rather mild to somewhat medium

Room Note: Pleasant

Overall: A toasty herbal incense predominates but seems green or unaged. This seems to be characteristic of the oriental variety used, as it is close to McClelland's BTR, as opposed to BO. Compared to EMP, well-aged EMP was richer, spicier, and smokier. Auld lang syne. 3.2 stars.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (11)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend!

The tin aroma itself is very appealing... it is sweet and spicy, pungent and earthy all at the same time. Very strong and fragrant. I get a kick out of sniffing it again and again whenever I open the tin.

The leaf is golden in color, mixed with dark spots, and is cut in wide ribbons. Easy to pack in a medium to large pipe. Easy to light.

The flavor is sweet and spicy, smoky and creamy. I would classify it as medium early in the bowl, and gets fuller as you keep on smoking. The flavor to me is rich and satisfying.

The room note is strong for the non-smoker, typical of an English blend.

I can no longer remember Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe very well; I used to smoke it avidly when it was made by Murray's. I haven't tried the new production. But this tobacco seems richer and more flavorful than Dunhill.

It's great as a morning pipe. It also great to smoke all day. I even love smoking it at night.

One of my favorites, and it is highly recommended!

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

Outstanding blend from C&D , Great Vas with delicious, fragrant Orientals with a light Latakia presence. Great in the morning or any other time of the day. A winner

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this blend! Order me a crate of it.

Having returned to the pipesmoking fraternity just two years ago, I consider myself a relative rookie to the panoply of blends, vendors, and brothers of the briar. I enjoyed a pipe in my post-collegiate years, but with only minimal knowledge of tobacco blends, or smokers at large. This review, therefore, is based upon the writer's pipesmoking experience within the last mere 48 months, combined with cloudy images of a misspent youth.

I have been enjoying Cornell and Diehl's Good Morning blend since the beginning of my modern pipesmoking career. I've tried it in every pipe I own, and have dedicated at least two pipes exclusively to the enjoyment of this wonderful blend.

I'm not a big fan of C&D tobaccos generally. Because of my great love for Good Morning, I have sampled many of their other blends, hoping for another winner. From Billy Budd to Havana Daydream, from Burley Flake #1 to Old Joe Krantz, I've had my share of C&D blends. With the sole exception of Good Morning, I have found all other Cornell and Diehl blends to be too harsh and strong for me. Because of this, I find my enjoyment of Good Morning even more intruiging.

From the “inner tube” smell in the tin, the reluctant smoker is not reassured. Fortunately, the tin aroma is the sole objection I have about this blend. The moisture content is always perfect. The cut of this blend was perfectly chosen. Good Morning packs easier, lights easier, and stays lit better than any of the several dozen blends I've smoked. Cool burning, stays lit to a dry ash.

Now to the taste: C&D's Good Morning is as close to the perfect tobacco for my palate as I have found. The taste is extraordinary: at once sweet and tangy, yet rich, smoky and woodsy. It's the pipe tobacco equivalent of a big campfire breakfast: bacon and eggs, pancakes, orange juice and coffee, while standing over an applewood fire. The taste is harmonious and level on the tongue, but this is not a simple blend. The flavor complexity of Good Morning startles me every time I light it up. There are layers of subtle, complex notes from this pipe tobacco that I've never experienced in a glass of wine, for example.

I don't know about the room note of this blend, but the aroma to the smoker is as rewarding as the taste. Sweet, light, and smoky. Very rich and pleasant.

In conclusion, the complex nature of Cornell and Diehl's Good Morning would not be recommended for the novice pipe smoker. However, for me, Cornell and Diehl's Good Morning gives a rich, satisfying, consistently enjoyable experience. Let me know what you think: e-mail me at greggandphyllis@sbcglobal.net.

brogreggblues

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I noticed all of the 4stars for this and feel like odd man out. I just am not wild about this. Odd taste, burns hot and not one I would get again.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Delving into the mysteries of the C&D blends, i tried this on a whim with my morning coffee. It delivers nicely with an almost earthy taste that i found to be creamy and spicy all at the same time. The sweetened virginias dominate this to a satisfying degree without it interferring with a dose or two of Latakia along with a dash of perique. Orientals are abundant here as the taste will tell when you savour its satisfying flavour. I like this in the morning as a wakeup blend to start my day off. Not bad at all for a mild English and is not particular of certain briars.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

The real deal EMP is back on the market, just stick with that. this is probably only the second blend from C&D I do not enjoy.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Whew...I opened the tin, and what did I smell?...shredded, used, car tires (read: rubber). I hoped liked Helk, this didn't smoke like it smelled. Good News!!...it doesn't. A mild, rich-flavored smoke, with absolutely, no bite. And as the wife noted, it smells like "Autumn". Was so fantasically good, bought a tin of USS Mason & Opening Night. Those rewiews will follow in a week, or two....let me enjoy my "Good-Morning"...first.

PipeCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeCat (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable

I acquired this mixture recently in a trade and all I can say is, this mixture is awesome. It reminds me of EMP, but without the topping taste I associated with the Orlik offerings. The first bowl I found a bit hard to tame since the cut is composed of rather large pieces of tobacco which does not fit into the bowl to my satisfaction. I found that drying it a bit under my lamp, then shearing it with a sharp pair of scissors resolves this issue. Still, several relights in the second half of the bowl. But the taste is right on the money. The Virginia is sweet on the tongue in a big way which is pleasing to my palette. It's also a rich smoke, coating ones tongue with lots of flavor. This is my absolute favorite C&D mixture to date.

Many times comparisons are unavoidable, but sometimes they are unnecessary and even undesirable. That said, C&D Good Morning is an excellent mixture of great mostly lemmon Virginias and Orientals, delicately spiced with Latakia (no more than what you can find in Fillmore, now that we're into similarities). Is it an Oriental mixture or a mild English? I don't know. The main component here is Virginias, that is for sure.

Good Morning is a great smoke for any time of the day.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

This one did surprise me both with its strength and flavor. It comes very close to the original Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill. I thought the mixture is as close as it can get, and it is a clear winner.

Out of the tin, it does not smell particularly good, 'spicy' perhaps. Expecting the smell would translate into an unpleasant smoke, I was positively surprised by how good - rich and full - it actually tasted. The best, in fact, of the "English" mixtures I have tried.

This one almost smokes like a strong cigarette. Halfway through the first pipe, I started to note a slight hand tremor.

Later, having smoked quite a few bowls of it, I still have to put the pipe away intermittently because I can feel my blood pressure rise! Boy does it give you a buzz!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)

Unlike the other C and D blends I have tried, this did not come bone dry: the tobacco was nice and springy to the touch. The tin aroma was muted. In the pipe it lit and burned well.

On its own it is a pleasant enough Oriental of no great distinction. The comparison to EMP stretches the imagination. I had a tin of Murray made EMP open and was able to compare the two mixtures. EMP had an opulent elegance coupled with manly but not brutish strength. In comparison Good Morning was insipid and weak. To enjoy this concoction one has to give up all thoughts of the Dunhill product, and consider GM on its own merits. It is not too bad.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)

This is perhaps the best 'first pipe of the day' smoke for me I've tried yet. There is just enough latakia to please my "English" sensibilities, and the orientals are a welcome 'waker-uper' on the palate. I usually begin the day with this and finish with the 063: Bayou Night.( With an expanding variety in-between, throughout the day.)

This goes extremely well with my morning coffee: home-brewed Starbuck's Italian Roast, black with no sugar. The Virginias in this one give me all the subtle sweetness I need in the mornings. And the latakia and orientals play well with the smokey sweetness in the Italian Roast.

I put down no room note because the wife makes me smoke outdoors. But the few times I've been forced to smoke in the car on the way to work it left a pleasant aroma that lingered until my return.

Because I enjoy this one so much for a day-starter I have tried is an an all-day smoke. It is perfect for the first bowl of the day, but after that I find I need something with a bit more of, well.......everything. That's not to say that one couldn't smoke this all day, I just find that it leaves me wanting more than it has to offer beyond the first bowl of the day. I usually move onto a heavier Balkan or English blend, or sometimes mix it up with a robust Virginia or Burley blend. To each his own.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Like G. L. Pease's Chelsea Morning, C & D's Good Morning is trying to fill the EMP gap. I find it extremely well done. It is more Virginia-oriented that Chelsea Morning and there is only a hint of Latakia. The result is a sweeter blend of Virginias and Orientals that is perfect for a first pipe. It would be a bit too light for me as an all day blend but is great with morning coffee. Unlike some of C & D's ribbon cuts, GM is easy to keep lit and doesn't arrive too wet in the tin.

Good Morning is likely to get lost in the huge mass of C & D blends but is really worth a try for those who appreciate a light Balkan as a day-starter.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is indeed very close to the famous Dunhill EMP. The tobacco has a less aged taste and seemed a bit rough around the deepest edges of the smoke. Otherwise, this is an outstanding Latakia/Oriental/Virginia blend that is easy on the palate. The contents burn evenly and somewhat quickly.

A delightful four stars for Good Morning.

Tim in Ohio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tim in Ohio (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I am a fan of some C&D blends. This one didn't do anything for me. A very bland an uneventful smoke in my book.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have never somked EMP but had read that this was a good replacement. I keep C&D Sunday Picnic in my rotation and found Good Morning to be a good quality smoke as well.

It smokes clean, light, and to a nice grey-white ash. The smell out of the tin has character, without being overwhelming. Moisture content was just right for me - feels "fresh" without being sticky.

Great taste and well suited for the first smoke of the morning. I generally don't smoke in my car, but have relented recently and can smoke this blend without leaving a smell in my car. Good basic mild taste - not overpowering.

I recommend this tobacco and plan to keep a tin in my rotation.

Schnaupps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schnaupps (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have not had the chance to have tried EMP. In fact, I am a new pipe smoker, having only been smoking for about 8 months. I've walked the path of the usual 'noobie' pipe smoker, trying various aromatics, and finding them delightful. My tastes have matured, and I am sticking my nose in some English blends, though I still have a tendency toward flavoring.

However, all that aside, 'Good Morning' is crazy good. It smokes clean, light, and to a nice grey-white ash. The smell out of the tin has character, without being overwhelming. My can was perfect as far as moisture, not too wet and not dry either.

The taste... dear gawd it's good. Absolutely wonderful as an early morning smoke, and lasts throughout the day. Full, flavorful without being ‘sweet'… a pick-me-up that, as others noted, is wonderful with coffee.

If you get the chance, try 'Good Morning.' You won't regret it. I will definitely be trying more Cornell & Diehl in the future, and keeping ‘Good Morning' into my rotation.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Edit 04/06/2011: I don't smoke this blend anymore as Classic Burley Kake has taken over as my AM smoke. It's still a great tobacco and maybe I'll revisit it again in the future. Downgraded to 3 stars.

WOW... all I can say is wow! Having had the chance years ago to smoke Dunhill EMP I can say that I really think they nailed the flavour with this blend. This is a definate keeper in my storage and one that I smoke every morning with my coffee... which is really what it's ment for. The flavour is extremely well balanced with many nuances jumping out at you as you slowly puff away. My second tin had 1 year of age on it and had developed some nice notes of plum, prune and apricots. If I could give it 5 stars I would, I just don't think 4 stars does it justice.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

Truly NOT similar to Dunhill Early Morning, completly different. Very immature taste, insipid and tasteless. This is the worst C&D blend i never try.