Reviews: 72093 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blend TypeOther
Full, Very Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (151)
Very Mild None Detected Very Full Pleasant

'What does a persimmon taste like, Dad?'

'Umm, errr, well....maybe we better just get you one to try for yourself.'

Sometimes describing the taste of something is a lost cause. In the current instance, those who have tried straight Cyprian Latakia will not need to be told, and those who have not will just have to try it themselves.

It's a blending tobacco. Can it be smoked by itself? Well sure, but it will be a monotonous experience.

For those who still would like to be told: This is a dry tobacco that burns easily and gives off a heavy terpene aroma. On the tongue it is very acidic and yet sweet and salty. The taste is metallic for those of us who still have a sense memory of running our tongues along the playground equipment as kids.

It has almost no nicotine. Very good price.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier, Missouri Pride

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As all have said before, this is a blending tobacco. Yes, I smoke it neat but that is just so I can compare as an adjustment to the other tobaccos I blend with it. This is a quality tobacco. Easy packing, easy burning. Many blends can be enhanced by this tobacco. I purchase several tins at a time to insure I have enough on hand when the blending mood strikes me. I make many mistakes but that is half the fun. As my wise old grandmother always said - "There are no failures, just lessons learned from dumb experiences to eliminate the wrong roads in your future journeys." I find it best mixed with unfired Virgina's, a bit of Burley , some spicy Orientals and a dusting of that magic herb - deer tongue. Perhaps some master blender will one day construct that very blend using the skilled arts that I lack. Try your hand with this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Nothing. Only latakia is latakia..

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Mild None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

From their own description: "Pure, straight, unadulterated Latakia leaf - this tobacco is, quite obviously, intended for blending purposes, whether it be making your own blend from scratch, or adding an extra kick to a particular off-the-shelf favorite."

Yes, that says it best.

I took the opportunity on a repurchase to smoke some of this straight. Best I can say is, "Been there, done that". I will not need to do that again and am glad I only loaded a small pipe half way.

It does its job well; very little is needed to tweak a blend. If building your own from scratch, inch this gradually into the mix, it is very potent smokey wise, which is the point.

I always will have some on hand.

Pipe Used: small Dr Grabow Golden Duke

Age When Smoked: New production

Purchased From:

Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

Dark and smoky Latakia from Cyprus, to be added to your Virginias, aromatics or English blend to enhance smokiness and flavor.

This is a very good quality blending Latakia from Cyprus, sold in bulk at very affordable price

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Very Mild None Detected Full Strong

Straight up latakia. Very sweet and smokey tasting. I don't think I'd smoke it alone but is obviously a good blending condiment.

bourbon&pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bourbon&pipes (2)

A hint of Sweetness, matched with a woodsy smoke. A mild smoking Latakia. I enjoy smoking this tobacco as is, neat. It pairs quite well with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel. It's a little heavy in the room, but it's a unique enough note that it's not unpleasant, IMHO.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Lone Star State Cigar Co.