556, the approximate distance in miles between Watch City Cigar and Richmond Virginia, is a mouth filling flake of red, bright and stoved Virginias dosed with St. James Perique for roundness.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

Flake #556 is one of the stronger, fuller VaPers that has come across my briar. The pouch offers a deep, sweet/sour scent. There may be some McClelland Virginias in the blend based on the scent. I prefer to rub it completely out and give it about ten minutes of dry time. The smoke is somewhat reminiscent of Escudo, but in some ways deeper. Fans of Escudo, fuller VaPers will want to try some #556. Also, English smokers looking for a full flavored Vaper will find a home here. This is a very well done flake that should age wonderfully. Highly Recommended!

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (85)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This stuff is flat out excellent. First off, I usually smoke English/latakia blends and have never really got hooked on already rubbed out Vapers/virginia blends. I find the latter to be too "light" of a smoke and I move on to other blends. Flakes are another matter and I have found them so good I like to work them into my Eng/Lat rotation now and then.

I am smoking a bowl as I type. This is actually my second bowl of 556 today. My first bowl was a batch of 556 I had cellared for a year and the bowl I'm smoking now is from a pouch I picked up in beautiful Framingham, Ma last month. I have smoked this fantastic mix fresh from the store, at the six month mark and at the one year mark. Let me contrast the experinces.

#556 right out of the bag is a just an excellent TOBACCO experience. The taste is strong, smooth tobacco. The smoothness of the smoke is remarkable as is the strength. 556 basically tastes to me like tasty stong virginias with a touch of perique. And a nicotine kick. Just straight tobacco taste. This is the kind of smoke that seperates the men from the boys in the pipe smoking world.

#556 aged for a year in my cellar is another equally great experince. 1 year old 556 can best be described as ATOMIC. The bright virginias have darken and the three tobaccos are now almost indistinguishable. The smoke is still very smooth but the flavor is much heavier and stronger than "fresh" 556. One bowl gave me a nicotine buzz so I wouldn't rate either as all day smokes. 556 at the six month mark was, obviously, in between the two.

A great blend! Excellent!

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (12)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

As a former cigarette smoker, I used to roll Peter Stokkebye Danish, Norwegian, Amsterdam or London shag toboccos with a Perique I'd get at Leavitt & Peirce in Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA). This combination was hard to quit, especially with the Danish Export, which is a blend of different Virginia tobaccos from three different continents. I haven't had a cigarette in two months and do not plan on starting again. As newbie to the briar brotherhood, I found myself at Watch City once again, this time to buy some Churchwarden, but also picked up some of this #556. It's wonderful. The flavor is mouth-filling and smacks of sweetness and a deep, leathery earthiness from the Perique that lingers on the palate. I felt wonderfully relaxed soon after sparking a bowl, which I attribute to nicotine. It rubs out well and it packs and lights easy. It produces volumes of thick smoke, stays lit, and the room note is pleasant. If you're a Virginia-Perique fan, I highly recommend this.