Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blend TypeOther
ContentsPerique
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Tolerable, Strong

3.8
StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the 4oz bag i ordered I really couldn't smell much of its odor, but as soon I put out a little for a smoke under my desk lamp I immediately got that pungent stink. I of course had to prod further so i stuck my nose right over top of that pile of tobacco and had my self a big sniff, leaning back into my chair as tears filled my eyes i knew I was in for something "special" Well that exactly what we have here. I don't know how to describe this taste, maybe over rip fruit and smoldering cedar wood might come close but again, not sure. It is a nice bacy by it self and a real creeper in the nicotine department and overall I really like it. Yes, one more thing to add is: go easy blowing this through your nose unless your into pain Olympics.

late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Don't know if there's a little of the real St. James in this or not, however it's a quality product nonetheless. When compared to McClelland's blending perique, which has more of a pungent vinegary scent, I find C&D's to be somewhat milder, more musty and mushroomy in aroma. Also, I find the granulated cut of C&D perique yields more flavor in the bowl than ribbon when used for blending. When smoking straight, smaller bowls work best because of the granulation, which for me is the only drawback as I'm typically a sucker for punishment in large doses.

Note: There are 2 types from available from C&D, granulated and long cut. This review is obviously about the granulated version.

StraightBlades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StraightBlades (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Perique is a blending tobacco, but it is good straight. It has a sour flavor that I quickly learned to love. Its best quality when smoked straight is that it has virtually NO tongue bite. I smoke it straight in a small (1/2 in. dia.) pipe, and I usually set the pipe down for a few minutes about half way through. When I blend it I never use less than 25%. Sadly it has little bowl aroma: Fifty per cent latakia will fix that!

Just so you know where I'm coming from, Nightcap is my morning smoke.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Great Perique! High quality tobacco like all of the C&D line. This is outstanding for adding to other blends in very limited quantity to enhance flavors. I got the granulated as opposed to the long cut. The cut is great and easy to work with. Top notch!!!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

Not the insanity inducing trip I had expected. A mixture of fruity sweetness and spice. I understand that the properites of perique enhance flavors already present, in addition to introducing the hallmark elements. This was amazingly smokeable and actually tasty. Of course I love perique so...