Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blend TypeOther
ContentsPerique
Strength
Strong
Taste
Strong

3.7
late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Don't know if there's a little of the real St. James in this or not, however it's a quality product nonetheless. When compared to McClelland's blending perique, which has more of a pungent vinegary scent, I find C&D's to be somewhat milder, more musty and mushroomy in aroma. Also, I find the granulated cut of C&D perique yields more flavor in the bowl than ribbon when used for blending. When smoking straight, smaller bowls work best because of the granulation, which for me is the only drawback as I'm typically a sucker for punishment in large doses.

Note: There are 2 types from available from C&D, granulated and long cut. This review is obviously about the granulated version.

StraightBlades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StraightBlades (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Perique is a blending tobacco, but it is good straight. It has a sour flavor that I quickly learned to love. Its best quality when smoked straight is that it has virtually NO tongue bite. I smoke it straight in a small (1/2 in. dia.) pipe, and I usually set the pipe down for a few minutes about half way through. When I blend it I never use less than 25%. Sadly it has little bowl aroma: Fifty per cent latakia will fix that!

Just so you know where I'm coming from, Nightcap is my morning smoke.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

Not the insanity inducing trip I had expected. A mixture of fruity sweetness and spice. I understand that the properites of perique enhance flavors already present, in addition to introducing the hallmark elements. This was amazingly smokeable and actually tasty. Of course I love perique so...

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Great Perique! High quality tobacco like all of the C&D line. This is outstanding for adding to other blends in very limited quantity to enhance flavors. I got the granulated as opposed to the long cut. The cut is great and easy to work with. Top notch!!!

Strong None Detected Full Strong

This, of course, is not the real perique that people speak of. It is the perique that nearly all the blenders are using. I purchased the granulated version of C&D perique and had a ball with it. It really does change the taste of anything you put it in. I typically used this to kick up some blends that were previously lifeless to my tastes.

This is a blending product, so my review is for that purpose. Having limited experience with other blending periques makes for a difficult comparison. Of course, I tried a bowl of this straight and it was almost unsmokable. I just had to try it. Before I purchased this I did ask around a little about it. I was told by someone, who does know what they are talking about, that this perique and all the perique available from all the etailers in the us is the same thing from the same source.

I also asked him why the McClelland tinned perique was more expensive. He stated that McClelland buys a higher grade than everyone else and thus, the premium is justified. But it still comes from the same source. I also had the luxury of trying some pure perique in whole leaf form that a forum friend let me try and that was actually smokable by itself and was very tasty that friend claimed that that was the real stuff. The only real experience I had with a blend that was the real stuff was some old three nuns that I had the luxury of tasting and that stuff was the nectar of the gods. My self blending with this product never brought me anything close to that.

So rating this is kind of easy. Since there is better alternatives, it can't be a four star. Since it is pretty much the same stuff as everything else out there is selling, it is recommended as to the leaf itself; as it is available in bulk and not very expensive. In fact, it stands to reason, that perique shopping should be done on price alone with all of that in mind.

The only thing left to contemplate is the granulated form versus the ribbon. Having only had the granulated form, I can't speak with authority on that either, but will say that I think it would blend better in ribbon form at least in the ways that I used it anyway. I will reorder in ribbon form and come back to this review.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (284)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

My favorite blend since its inception has been Chatham Manor by Hearth and Home. I have been super happy with it and content but I still try other blends just so I don't get bored. Well last week I bought a tin of McClelland's Grey Havens which has Burley, Virginia and Perique and it got me thinking, Hey why not add a pinch of Perique to Chatham Manor since Grey Havens is almost the same blend as far as the components and the light topping. Well folks the addition of 15% Perique has risen Chatham to another level! My next order I am going to ask Russ to add a tin of Blending Perique to a tub of Chatham. It brings out the sweetness of CM and adds a bit of strength Nicotine wise, the snork or blowing out of smoke through the nostrils is heavenly!! Dark, meaty, plummy and spicy, C&D's Perique is awesome for blending!

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Opening the 4oz bag i ordered I really couldn't smell much of its odor, but as soon I put out a little for a smoke under my desk lamp I immediately got that pungent stink. I of course had to prod further so i stuck my nose right over top of that pile of tobacco and had my self a big sniff, leaning back into my chair as tears filled my eyes i knew I was in for something "special" Well that exactly what we have here. I don't know how to describe this taste, maybe over rip fruit and smoldering cedar wood might come close but again, not sure. It is a nice bacy by it self and a real creeper in the nicotine department and overall I really like it. Yes, one more thing to add is: go easy blowing this through your nose unless your into pain Olympics.