4 Virginias, Syrian Latakia and Perique

Notes: Rare Syrian Latakia is used in this blend.

BrandRich's
Blended BySteve Books
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Full, Very Full
stephano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephano (3)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an old favorite of mine, but alas, Steve has left Rich's and I can't seem to drum up any more.

I used to love using this to break in my pipes. It added a lovely coat of carbon to both a Peterson and a Ser Jacopo that I now smoke daily.

I'm currently searching for a replacement. I've been using their OF 759 on my new pipes. Seems to do a comparable job.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is another winner from the great master blender Steve Books. The Syrian Latakia is less smokey than its Cyprian cousin and makes a rounder flavor that allows the Virginia's to shine and for the Perique to dance with the Latakia for a well balanced flavor. the Perique is very lightly used and only adds depth to this blend. This is a little damp and needs to dry a little before packing as this one keeps going out. After letting dry in a mason jar open for a day, then resealing for a couple of weeks, this blend worked out nice. It still is a little moist and can leave a modest gurgle in the pipe, but it burned nice and easy on the second match. Those looking for a Latakia Bomb of a tobacco need look to other blends that use Cyprian Latakia. One strange element to this blend is the use of what appears to be McClellands Navy Flake. I am familiar with the yummy but strange rubbery texture of that tobacco along with the strong vinegar smell and those are definately here in one of the components. Steve Books is truely a master blender, but not a manufacturer. He seems to buy his tobaccos from other sources already prepped and ready to blend.

*12/24/09 pulled out my jar of this for Christmas Eve along with my Jar of Sasha Plus. I downgraded this a star because it does not hold up against Sasha Plus. This is still VERY good but just not outstanding like Sasha Plus is.