A blend of Bright flake, Red Virginia, Burley cube cut, Latakia and Perique with a mild fruit flavor. Reminiscent of House of Windsor "Revelation".

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5oz Pouch

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Presentation in the tin is cubed and chunky. It is drier than most tinned tobacco, and just about perfect for smoking as far as I am concerned. A sniff suggests fruit and a little latakia.

I have gravity fed and don't pack it very tight. Smoked I get a very good VaBur with some sweet topping and a little spice from the perique. The latakia is a light touch, but it is there and contributes nicely to provide a whiff of fireside smokiness. The highlight for my palate is the way the perique works so well with the other flavors.

This blend is a home run as far as I am concerned. I never had the orginal Revelation or the HoW version so I have no idea how they compare.

This is meant to be Sutliff's version of Revelation before House of Windsor got their hands on it. The HoW version left me with a bad impression all the way around, from the dullness of the burley to the relative lack of sweetness, depth, and flavor. This is a vast improvement. The medium brown Virginia has a mildly natural sweetness. The burley sports some earthy points, plus a light tangy nuttiness from the burley. The perique is very lightly added for a hint of spice. The latakia brings very mild smokey, woody bass notes to give this mixture a slight flavor push. The topping is mildly fruity. This is a well rounded, medium tasting blend for the all day smoker who wants a decent nic hit with a lot going for it.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just finished the tin of this I purchased nearly two years ago and I will say this one was not too bad. Granted, it was not that great either. I suppose this is the Sutliffe version of revelation, a blend lost to time that I have not, or likely never will, taste. I have, however, tasted epiphany, which is Cornell & Diehl's version of the same.

My first impressions on this blend is that is has a pervasive chemical presence like many other of the Sutliffe blends I have tried. I believe this in the form of PG and it is quite heavy in all their blends. It adds a sweetness that is easier to perceive in a blend such as this rather than an aromatic, where it is often muddled by the topping.

The blend is easy enough to smoke and is pretty good for a mindless smoke. It is also pretty cheap for a tinned blend. Although, I cannot compare this to the original revelation, I can compare it to epiphany, and this one pales in comparison to that blend. But they are also pretty different in that Epiphany needs a relative calm and contemplative setting where R blend can be pretty much enjoyed when you are working around the garage with a pipe stuck in your craw.

For what it is, I would somewhat recommend it.

Pipe Used: various best in my pete b11

Purchased From: a B & M in Shelby Twp., MI

Similar Blends: Most similar to Man's best friend, also by Sutliffe..

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked up a single tin of this to compare to C&D's Epiphany, both being clones of Revelation (which I never had). I smoked a good three ounces of the C&D blend before cracking the tin of R Blend so I had a good foil to test. Tin aroma is similar to the C&D product but not quite as heavy which for me could be a good thing. In appearance R Blend has less Latakia and more burleys. It is a more complex blend in formula. The presentation is more refined.

But it is in the pipe that counts. C&D bills their blend as an English. Looking at the recipe for R Blend, one might say the same of it, but not in the smoke. It's not there. I hate to say it but this seemed a waste of good blending varieties as the topping was 'lemony' for me and masked the tobacco. It has a tang that was not pleasant. In fact the flavoring is about all I can really get out of this besides a big nicotine buzz, that and hot air. In nicotine it is heavier than Epiphany. Some may like that. R Blend is more of an aromatic made from English blend components which do not come together well. The C&D is an English that is flavored - and it works. R Blend is basically a codger burley, which I don't do.

I felt I should like both or not like both. That was not the case for me. I expected better. I apologized to my pipes.

These two will likely be the last flavored blends I smoke (or rather buy) and certainly the last I shall review.

Quite obviously, I am no Albert Einstein.

Update: Despite those who dislike my review, I revisited this blend this morning in a cob that will never smoke another blend, now. I will double down. It does not deserve the two stars I gave it.

Pipe Used: Briars and corncobs

Age When Smoked: New tin

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 068: Epiphany.

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Sutliff Tobacco Company - R Blend (Sutliff Private Stock)

Picture a nice grassy and lightly sweet VaPr with its trademark long malty/milky/peppery finish, and perch a sturdy rider of nutty burly on top, holding a small torch of smoky latika to light the way, and then set it loose to announce the arrival of the British, and you have R-Blend. Towards the end of the middle third the rider starts to droop in the saddle a bit, but the VaPr underneath carries the day to the finish line. A very nice and well balanced smoke that no doubt will find traction with VaPr fans who find most English blends a bit too latika heavy for their tastes. A great smoke for outdoor grilling & barbecue.

I give this 3 1/2 stars (out of 4), which I'm forced to round down to 3, since this site doesn't support halfsies. I'd like to give it 4, but I just can't quite do it (although I may change my mind after a few more bowls). Add half a star if you're a latika fan. Recommended.

Misc Addendums:

> My tin seemed to burn a tiny bit fast and hot. The coarse cut seemed very slightly on the dryish side of perfect, perhaps due to the slightly too-roomy tins Sutliff seems to favor for their modest 1.5 oz fill levels. If you sip slowly, all is well, but if you puff too fast, the latika and perique can start to tag team your tongue a bit, like licking a weak 9v battery.

> I dont find any trace of the fruityness mentioned in sutliff's product description.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Freehand Briar (Group 4)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: (sample from friend)

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sutliff Private Stock R-Blend

Burley, Virginian, Latakia, Perique and Flake

Tin Notes: Various cuts of tobacco with nice color, all leaf not roughage, The tobacco has good moisture content right out of the can. The Aroma is slightly sweet with a little pungent twist and an ever so light smokey smell

Smoking: R Blend has an overall good flavor profile. Even though i thought the content percentages of the latakia and perique is small they both add enough of a slight kick to the VA/Bur blend to make it and interesting and enjoyable smoke. The tobaccos burn well in any type of pipe. Straight out of a new production tin - the tobacco has a slight hint of new or green tobacco, I think this blend will age nicely over time

Room Note: Fair

My 5 Star Rating = 3

Somking

Pipe Used: Briar, Pipestone, Corn, Meerschaum

Purchased From: sutliff

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)

This is a wonderful tobacco!! Tasty and complex and burns down to the end with minimal relighting. There is not only a very outdoorsy feeling that comes with this, but a spiritually familiar resonance. It makes me think that I have tried this flavor of pipe tobacco before, like a past life recollection and makes me feel like I'm touching base with my ancestors. It's hard to explain, but there is definitely a calming familiarity to this tobacco. Major quality. This is a first rate smoke. I particularly love the fact that it is a great roamer - you can let your imagination soar off wherever it may go and when you come back to Earth, you realize that you have just the perfect little smoke going on!! I love this blend. It is comforting, earthy and super delicious. Great for the artist or writer, because it taps into something primal and encourages creativity.

Pipe Used: Laxey Meerschaum