525 Byzantium - This is a blend with some symmetrical symbolism. Three legendary cities: Byzantium, Constantinople and Istanbul, three unique tobaccos: Latakia, Oriental and Red Virginia form this blend. (from Altadis website)

ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

2.4
ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I got this, and a few other Altadis blends, for free from a local shop that i frequent. To be honest, i thought it was awful, and it brought back memories of Mixture No. 79. Admittedly, i smoked half a bowl about 2 months ago, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it again.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A very powerful and full Balkan mixture. This is in the same vein as Peretti's #40. This is an after dinner blend. I found, however, that when mixing this with about %20 IRC 3 STAR EBONY(also an Altadis product) IT smoothes out the blend and adds a little desired sweetness. A solid smoke. 3 stars!

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I have come to like this but not as a everyday smoke. It normally seems to go into my big mixing jar after a few bowls. Tolerable but not a great blend.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A bulk Balkan mixture, from a company better known to me for aromatics - I was skeptical at first, but couldn't pass this up when it came my way in a trade. The tobacco arrived in a plastic bag,and in spite of being well sealed the distinctive smell of Latakia came through strongly. A good sign, as far as I was concerned. The tobacco is a mostly dark brown mix of broken flake and short ribbon, fairly moist. Packed lightly,it takes a couple of lights to get going, but then burns as well as any Balkan.

The flavor strongly reminds me of Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme and Balkan Sasieni, but is a little sharper, with a suggestion of heat - not really bite, but a little spice on the tongue. The orientals must be the same or very similar variey, but the smoke does not seem as alkaline as the Stokkebye. There may be a topping of some sort, at times there is a little nutty flavor that I don't expect in a blend of this type.

The finish is clean, no goop, and only a little ashy. Overall, and especially for the price, this is a solid addition to the Balkan range.

Barbaric_Yawper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barbaric_Yawper (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While I'm still in the middle of a 3 oz. sample I still have yet to make up my mind about this one. I'm a sucker for blends that use inventive names to draw attention to themselves (what could possibly be any more alluring than a blend called "Byzantium"?) and a big fan of Balkan and English styles and this blend fits all those bills. I would liken it to any basic blend that uses the same known tobacco types in this blend (Cyprian Latakia, Oriental, and Red Virginia) and I think it would make a nice medium-strong introduction for anyone curious about moving from lighter English blends into more "dangerous" territory. There is a slight bite mid-bowl and it can be tough to keep lit from time to time, but the overall experience is just right for an everyday smoke. But let there be no mistake: this is far from aromatic and it is likely to frighten away others in the room. I know it won't be daring enough to interest the most seasoned of English and Balkan afficionados, but this blend will be an interesting challenge for anyone who is just getting to know the style. Recommended.