Black Cavendish and Cube Cut Burley with a wonderful Vanilla flavor. Medium strength.

BrandSillem's
Strength
Taste
jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

This was my first experience with both Sillem and cube cut - am fascinated by both.

Am a bit unsure as to best packing method for cube cut and, as a result, pipe required multiple lights.

While there was no bite, there was considerably gurgle at mid bowl, which eventually dissipated, but which did produce obvious (and sour) moisture in the churchwarden stem (Vauen Nobile) despite the 9mm filter.

Will dry the cubes prior to next smoke and provide an update.

I want to like this - very much - and not just because of the tin and wonderful cube cut.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

This is the only aromatic that I smoke in a non-filtered pipe. I especially enjoy smoking it an an old Danish Jarl that I restored some years ago but it has smoked nicdely in everything else that I've loaded it into. Musketeer is my tobacco pipe version of a tasty bowl of naturally sweetened granola or perhaps Grape-nuts. The toasty/nutty cubed Burley gently sweetened with the mild vanilla Cavendish is a kind of pipe smoking comfort food. No tongue bite, sparks up easily but as Burley blends often do it burns rather quickly. Musketeer goes great accompanied by a nice cup of Earl Grey tea with milk. Most Highly Recommended.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Shortly after I requested a review of this tobacco on this site, and while I was anxiously awaiting my first order of Musketeer, I was pleasantly surprised by the review posted by Brother K. and I was all the more excited to try this blend.

I was not disappointed. My tobacco was very moist but not at all soggy and was composed of black and gold cubes (mostly black) - the smallest cube cut I have ever seen. I did not wait for any drying time to delay the start of my smoke. It was quite remarkable! This tobacco lit with two matches and stayed lit to the end of the bowl in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke Billiard - no filter. Gentle tamping was all that was required. Upon lighting, I tasted but a hint of that Virginia grassy flavor which soon vanished after a minute or two. It was one of the coolest blends I have ever smoked. I tested this one with hard and fast puffing, but I could not get this one to even hint at burning hot - let alone bite. It was delightful. There was a medium strength Burley taste coming through very nicely, not at all harsh, and mildly sweet throughout the smoke. The tin aroma did not smell like vanilla to me. It certainly smelled sweet, but more like apricots/honey if I had to name something. Although I tasted none of the casing while smoking, I am sure its presence accounted for the sweet taste of the tobacco. It's very enjoyable exhaling this one through your nose. There was never a gurgle, and I was left with dry, medium gray ash at the end of the smoke. It is truly the only aromatic I have ever smoked that did not give me even the slightest of problems. Smoked it next in a Savienelli bent sandblast and it was even sweeter! I have even mixed some of this with Sillem's Black for a very satisfying experience. It added a tad more sweetness to the Black which was to my liking.

Not a typical aromatic by any means. Well tempered Burley, medium in flavor. If I had to voice one negative, it would be that it seems to be available only in 50gm tins and is a bit pricey at $10-11 a tin, but in my opinion, well worth it.

Brother K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother K (7)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

When I noticed that this fine tobacco had not yet been reviewed I could not pass it by with out putting in my two cents. This tobacco is cube cut, so it is like hundreds of small six sided dice with each one wrapped in a vanilla cased Cavendish leaf. To my very limited knowledge this is one of the last cube cut tobaccos made, and if you have never smoked cube cut before you should it smokes like nothing else I have ever tried.

The room note is very sweet, but the taste is not overwhelming and it delivers just the right amount of nic, and makes a very nice morning bowl.

I recommend it to anyone for the smooth flavor and nice casing, but especially those among us who have to got to smoke the cube cut before. For sure an experience worth having.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This blend in my opinion does not give any sensation of taste and flavor, I find it quite devoid of personality, perhaps the quality of the tobacco used is not of great quality, or the casing has not been done better. It is very smooth, maybe too much! There's much better to choose