Named for our oldest store on Wilshire Boulevard. A unique Cavendish blend that is mild, flavorful and delightly aromatic.

BrandTinder Box
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringVanilla
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste

surfnspy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
surfnspy (1)

Wilshire was created in 1974 at the Tinderbox on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles.

Lane purchased it fom the Tinderbox which became Lane's infamous 1-Q.

Oh well, it's a low-maintenance, pleasant smoke if not pushed too hard. Plus, it passes the girlfriend/wife room note test with flying colors.

Recommended.

theLT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theLT (1)

I told the guy at tinderbox that I am a pretty enthusiastic smoker of english blends, but wanted to try out some "aromatic" types. He recommended Wilshire to me and I'm grateful he did. This is not my FAVORITE tobacco, but features heavily in my rotation now.

Positives: It smells sweet and vanilla-ish in the bag and the smoke is the same (my girlfriend reports the smoke is almost too sweet-smelling for her liking, actually). To me, the taste is akin to smoking a cigar while drinking a cream soda... but not too horribly sweet. Pretty mild, but not lacking in flavor. I felt no tongue bite, even with pretty aggressive smoking. Very cool-smoking, no gurgling problems. I packed it via the frank method and only had to relight it once toward the end of the bowl.

Negative: The only real negative thing I can say is a bit of a bitter-acid taste in the back of the throat that I've randomly encountered (rarely). Now, I have smoked pipes and cigars for about 8 years now and nicotine doesn't usually bother me, but the flavor I'm talking about is LIKE the nicotine flavor you get from a strong cigar or from chew. I'm not sure where this is coming from or if anyone else encounters this with this blend, but I have experienced it more than a couple of times. Strange... I'll update this review if I figure out what's going on (ie what I'm doing to cause this??)

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good blend. Good base tobacco flavor, with hints of walnut, licorice and honey/butter. The licorice makes this uniquely tasty, IMHO. Smokes clean on one light, no mess. 3+*.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: Tinder Box, Mishawaka, IN

This barely gets a three star rating from me. It's basically a vanilla flavored cavendish with caramel, or should I say "1Q, since that's what this is. It's pleasant to smell, pleasant to taste and smoke, and doesn't bite your tongue. I've mostly liked it when I had smoked it, but with the variance of new tobaccos in this genre entering the market in recent years, I find this has fallen a little lower on the chain of "I should buy this." For someone who wants a normal, basic no-frills all day smoke, it'll give you what you want, and there's a lot of good to be said for that. But I find myself more interested in other blends in this profile that give more contrasting flavors.

ericbernabe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ericbernabe (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A nice aromatic. Prefer other similar mixtures that have less of a taste of chemicals. This one will do in a pinch.

Bishop_Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bishop_Pipe (5)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This I picked up in the Daytona Tinderbox, after the manager recommended it, as it is their best selling tobacco. Well I have only just found out that 1Q comes from Wilshire, so I'm glad I put some money into the original blender!

The tobacco is nice smelling, no particular flavours that I could pick out. It packs and lights very easily.

To me this tasted like a nice mellow virginia and burley blend rather than cavendish. (Shows how accurate my tastebuds are!) But never the less, the taste is slightly sweet, a nice straw kind of taste. It is relatively slow burning, and very smooth indeed.

I would recommend this as an all day smoke.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

A good no-hassle blend. Smells a bit sweet when you open the lid with nice long strands of tobacco mixed with black cavendish. The vanilla is really an undertone if you will.

Smokes great, I just let gravity fill the bowl and top it off with a push of the thumb, char it then light it up full. After 5 minutes or so, I drop out the top ash and then it pretty much smokes all the way down to the heel with minimum condensation. Even with aggressive smoking it doesn't bite. Leaves a nice room-note.

Nothing real fancy in the taste, some sweetness in the wafting smoke some mild nicotine but does get some bitterness near the end, but then again, most of the tobaccos I've tried do that near the heel.

Good all-around starter or those who want to try a light Aromatic.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I was swayed by your reviews and glad I tried Wilshire. Not much of a selection here in Palm Springs and never was a fan of Tinder Box. This one is something I would try again. Very smooth with good aroma. This would be a great beginner.

mikeb_68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikeb_68 (4)

As a reformed cigar smoker(well, I still smoke a stick now and again) I've developed a certain palate that I will, hopefully, be able to refine a bit more now that I've started getting into pipes. This is my first review and my first "not-drug-store" tobacco so here goes:

The vanilla in the Willshire seems heavy to the smell...once lit though, the tobacco flavors kick in and remind you that you are, indeed, smoking something. As others have found, I thought this one to be a bit on the wet side and I had some issues keeping it lit through the first few bowls. Of course, as a new pipe smoker that might have been user error as well so I won't fault the tobacco too much.

My wife and friends enjoyed the scent from this one which is a big win since much of my smoking time is around others. I will purchase this again as I really like the fragrance and copious amounts of smoke that it imparts when it gets burning good!

I'd also like to note that I really enjoy reading the other reviews on this site! They've been invaluable to a newbie and I appreciate all the work done by others!

Crazy Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crazy Dan (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

It smells good and tastes good. I liked it and will buy it again. to up the nicotine level I did mix the last litle bit I had about 50/50 with Prince albert, That was pretty good the taste of Wilshire came threw over the prince.

Marklemagne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marklemagne (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I enjoy Wilshire by itself, but my preference is to mix Wilshire 1-to-1 with Midnight from Tinder Box.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)

I have smoked this of and on for about 15 years and often use it as a blending tobacco for harsher aromatics. I would recommend it to newer pipe smokers, but I have to say, be careful, sometimes it's a bit dry and may need slight re hydration and then it can be very wet and in need of drying. That aside, it has a very mild vanilla spice flavor and is one of the mildest aromatics I can think of. It remains consistently flavorful from first light to last puff. A good rotational tobacco when going from aromatics to light English blends.

AlexJordan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexJordan (2)

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed this blend. That said, it is pretty generic (Yes, I know, it's Lane's 1-Q.) in taste and quality. To me, it had a robust, yet very subtly sweet taste, that at times hinted at a cigar-like flavor. By and large, this is a forgettable blend, but while it's being smoked it's a pleasurable experience.

This is a great blend for someone just getting started with pipes: Not too harsh, but just enough spirit to keep you interested until you find something you like better, as you most certainly will.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The very courteous and helpful Tinderbox store clerk confirmed that "Wilshire" is indeed their private label of Lane's 1-Q. It is worth buying Wilshire just to keep the local pipeshops in business. With the new proposed increased federal tobacco tax, they will become a dying breed. I suppose that is how the do-gooders who want the government to control everything want it. Until then, stock up. If you want to read my review of Wilshire, just read my review of Lane's 1-Q - it's exactly the same blend.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Tinderbox recently sent me an email offering a sample of Wilshire if I purchased some other stuff. I've been hearing about Wilshire forever, but never tried any before. Yes this is the Lane 1Q renamed. So what? This is the #1 seller in the US. I let some dry out for 3 hours. It's a very very nice aromatic. No bite. Lots and lots of smoke. No gurgles. The cleanup is no worse than any other aromatic. A wonderful smell and taste. 2 matches and that was it. I can see why this is the biggest seller. There is nothing wrong here. You could smoke this all day and never complain. Probably the perfect aromatic.

Mister Entertainer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Entertainer (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Maybe I just got lucky, but the few ounces of this that I bought were not at all goopy. It is a nice smoke that doesn't have an overpowering flavor added to it and you can taste more of the natural tobacco. I haven't had a problem with it keeping lit and it did not gurgle for me too much. There is some sweetness but it is quite pleasing. I will continue to buy this.

Guardian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guardian (3)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Otherwise known as Lane's 1-Q, the Wilshire blend is my favorite of the Tinderbox bulk aromatics. I've kept coming back to it over the years, as it has a warm and sweet yet subtly spicy flavor and aroma with hints of perhaps vanilla, almond, apricot, and ginger. This is one of the classic aromatic tobacco blends which inspire such fond memories.

I feel that Wilshire is often unjustly written off by those who are looking for a bolder, more distinguished and prevalent flavor, and by those that don't care for a sweet smoke. That being said, Wilshire isn't for everyone, and shouldn't be smoked by those that are looking for something more than what it has to offer.

I would actually caution newcomers away from this blend because it can be more temperamental than others if you're not yet proficient with a pipe. It can be on the moist and sticky side, so I would recommend letting a fresh batch sit and dry for a time before being packed. Also, don't smoke this one too quickly because it can bite and muck up your pipe if you're impatient with it.

If you find yourself frequenting this blend, I would recommend having a briar pipe to use just for it. It doesn't smoke as true in pipes seasoned by most other aromatic blends (though some aren't a problem) nor does it compliment pipes seasoned with English blends. However, its subtle flavor wont ghost an aromatic pipe.

Wilshire is perfect for a relaxing and gently flavored pipe to linger on for an hour or so, filling the air with a hearty and sweet aroma that aims to please both the casual smoker and company alike.

Enjoy.

alley00p Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alley00p (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a 2oz sample from a friend, and decided to try it today on my lunch break. While I'm not a big fan of aromatics, this pouch from Tinderbox, seemed a bit sticky and took a few lights to get burning.

The taste was OK, but not something that I would have in a regular rotation of tobaks. I do enjoy cavendish at times, but this smoke was almost too sweet for me. This might be a good starter for someone who wants to try a sweetish aromatic.

The biggest turnoff for me, was the amount of deposits it left in the bowl and the stem of my pipe. I don't enjoy having to use pipe cleaner after pipe cleaner, just to get all of the residue out of the stem and pipe.

Perhaps I'll try this one again in about 6 months, and see if it has gotten any better. Otherwise, I'll go back to my VA's and VA-Per blends.

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)

This is my favorite tobacco. It doesn't bite at all and is a great smoking experience. It is a very mild and easy to handle tobacco for a beginner or occasional smoker.

Colby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colby (9)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

So I hear that this is the same stuff as 1-Q, which I've never had a chance to have, but I smoked a bowl of this stuff that was about a year old from a friend who came over with it. I had to say I really liked it. It was a really earthy and smooth blend and I enjoyed it till I got to the dottle and it turned nasty, but most tobacco does. I'm not giving it 4 stars because I went out and got some new Wilshire from Tinderbox and it's taste was a little more bland, more dominated by the cavendish and not a real tobacco flavor. But I'm assuming if you let it age a bit, the taste factor will increase. Cheers.

UPDATE:

After 3 months of aging in a shoe box in the closet, the sweetness level has gone down and a very smooth, non biting aromatic has taken shape. I really like it. Taste did change when I got to about 1/2 the bowl, so I dumped, but overall a quality bulk tobacco.

Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I too tried this early in my pipe smoking career. The Tinderbox chain had several shops in Florida in the late 1980s.

This is indeed Lane's 1Q, and it is a mild, mellow, somewhat fruity and sweet blend. If you like mild Cavendish blends like this, it is decent.

It didn't take me long to realize I prefer more natural blends, so my dalliance with this was short.

That this is Lane's best seller tells us where the pipesmoking community was back in the 1970s and 1980s. Even today when the average person thinks of pipe tobacco, they think of some vanilla laced concoction such as Captain Black, 1Q, RLP-6, or BCA.

So while I never became a huge fan of this, being able to walk into a store that primarily sold pipes and tobacco was worth the trip all by itself.

wildwoodweed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildwoodweed (4)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have found this to be wet candy! I will give this two stars simply because it can be obtained at the local drug store, aka Tinderbox.

Mike1614 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike1614 (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Lane 1-Q is a goopy blend like most of their other stuff, heavily coated in glycerin, perfumed, wont dry out- ever. It's the best selling blend at my local shop and I'm told, in the US. I find it to be awful, little flavor, fouls up your pipe, burns hot and wet, etc. If you're reading this, you know there are a hundred better, cleaner tobaccos to smoke. It's interesting that McClelland has begun to 'copy' some of the Lane bulk blends (as the whole pipe tobacco industry seems to be collapsing, at least temporarily). The McClelland version of 1-Q is better, as McC does not use all that glycerin. Look for it, and other McClelland tobacs in bulk- a better alternative to Lane.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I got acquainted with Lane's I-Q (aka Wilshire at Tinderbox outlets), back in the late 1970s where it was known as "Special #2" at the old Pipe Pub franchise shops located around the southwest. I am glad this one is in the database and will give fellow pipe smokers knowledge regarding what they are actually purchasing if they pick up a pouch at a Tinderbox Chain Store.

This is one of my all-time favorite aromatic blends. It is nutty, sweet, tastes like tobacco, has a bit of nicotine strength, is very cool burning and is enjoyed tremendously by those non-smokers who happen to be around me while I'm puffing on this classic. Enjoyed by pipe smokers worldwide in droves, it is not THE all-time top selling Lane tobacco blend for no reason.

Good anytime, day or night... If you have a sweet tooth.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

As most every one knows, "Wilshire" is actually nothing more than Lane's 1-Q re-named and thus should be removed from the database.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)

To be fair, I am a novice and this was one of the first blends I've tried. I'm still trying different blends and I haven't found a 'favorite' yet, but I would put this as my #2 choice of four blends I've tried so far. It's not overly flavored, the smell and room note is pleasant, but the smell seems to hang around in my pipe more than the others I've tried. To me, it smokes a bit hotter than other blends, and if smoked too fast, it leaves me with a bit of tongue bite. I think I'd buy more of this blend in the long run, especially once I've gotten more experience in pipe smoking and can enjoy the subtle nuances of the blend.