A fully matured red Virginia of the rarest quality with a light, sweet taste. Presented in a ribbon cut which does not need to be rubbed out and free from any flavorings or additives.

BrandGeorgetown Tobacco
Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Lowland Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lowland Piper (12)

A good, solid, quality red Virginia, full of natural tobacco flavor. It's slightly sweet (from the natural leaf). I tend to like these kinds of tobaccos. They let you explore the taste and aroma in a more subtle way without screaming their flavor. I love supporting local shops and local blenders.

Update 07/22/2011: I bought some McClelland 5100 Red Cake a couple months ago. His Master's Choice is nearly identical to 5100, but with a very slight top note of more sweetness and a little touch of spice (clove comes to mind perhaps). It's a subtle difference. I could easily see mistaking the two for each other if the jars were not labeled.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

My first pound of Georgetown`s His Master`s Choice was purchased from the Goegetown shop - in Georgetown - some time in 1993 or 1994. It was quite a memorable day as I also got my first tin of Penzance, along with several Georgetown blends, including Jabberwock, Palisades, Malawi, Cube Cut etc.

His Master`s Choice was absolutely delightful in every way. Allowed to dry out a bit, it burned steadily and without heat. The taste and room note were nothing short of fabulous. The first pound went quickly, as did the second and third. The fourth declined to dry, no matter what I did. It also seemed a somewhat bland. I sealed the pound in two ounce packages and try out a package every year. Despite considerable age now, it never recovered its original glory.

Tobacco being an agricultural product one should be prepared to put up with occasional variation in quality, though most producers manage consistency of taste and quality. I hope I was just unlucky with my last purchase. If the original quality has been restored this deserves four stars.