A bold, swarthy blend of bright Virginias, Stoved Reds and fragrant Latakia with a hint of sweetness.

Notes: Warm and earthy, with a light and lingering sweetness that is carefully interwoven with a subtle smokiness.

BrandLow Country Pipe & Cigar
Blended BySmokingPipes.com
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
3.4

The various Virginias offer a fair amount of sweetness. The red Va. is tangy while the other Virginias are a little fresh and dried fruity, and fermented in the McClelland manner with some familiar barbeque notes. I detect a bare hint of grass and some earth, with minor spice hits here and there. The Cyprian latakia is a moderate addition, and noticeable for the smokey, woodsy flavor you expect from it. Whatever the topping is, it's sweet, though I suspect the sweetness comes as much from how the Virginias were processed than how it was topped. Well balanced and consistent in taste, burns well with not many relights, but it leaves a slight bit of moisture at the finish. It also leaves a very pleasant after taste.

TheBriarSire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBriarSire (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I discovered this blend on smokingpipes.com only to realize this was their "house" tobacco (I believe). Buying it on a whim with very little to go off of other than the description, I decided to give this lesser known brand a try. In the tin, I was very surprised at the strong scent of BBQ, which I have gained familiarity with when it comes to latakia. The main point of separation was the intensity of this smell, as well as the addition of other foreign (but pleasing) scents -- I was very eager to light up as soon as possible. To my dismay, I was not dazzled with it upon my first few puffs down to about a quarter of the bowl. Described as "swarthy," I was expecting to be blown away from the first puff, not rolling my eyes at its lack of strength. I was very wrong. Like a boxer warming up with his first couple of jabs to test his opponent, I was not prepared for the knock-out uppercut about to be delivered mid-bowl. Suddenly, all the latakia burst forth and hit me like a freight train. This coupled with the nicotine really left me hurting -- with pleasure, that is. From this point on, the blend only continued to astound: it became very "charred" in flavor, and the stoved reds only gave it more nicotine fuel. Yet despite all the power, there was still a very predominate "spicy-sweetness" that took shape and gave me the impression that I was smoking BBQ chips (no joke)! I must add that I was drinking black coffee, and was smoking this in the morning on an empty stomach. However, I feel this only added to the wonderful time I had smoking this blend, all the way to the bottom of the bowl (which burned to a fine, black gunpowder, I might add). Needless to say, I was rather dizzy and grinning like a fool drunk on his favorite brand of spirits by the end. This tobacco has not gained much recognition yet, but I have a feeling as more lovers of full, dynamic english blends give it a try, it is sure to make its mark in the tobacco market. I highly recommend!

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Black is sweet, musty, and strong.

In body and bouquet it is the most cigar-like blend in my cellar. I can't place the topping but, again, think "cigar" rather than "aromatic." There's a cinnamon and cedar spiciness to it, and the strong latakia component provides the dark oomph that underlies those flavors, rather than standing at the fore. Instead of the "savory campfire" that defines many of the latakia-heavy blends I enjoy, Black might better be subtitled "blackened Cajun gingerbread." It is a unique blend that, to my tastes, doesn't fit neatly into the traditional English category.

If provoked, it can bite. But smoked carefully, it provides quite a heady bowl of incendiary voodoo. I'll be very interested to see how it ages. At present, I'd give it 3.6 out of 4 stars.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a very nicely balanced English blend for those who like something a bit more on the strong side. Unlike the name implies, there are quite a few red and light tan leaves in this blend. The flavors are of very nice and somewhat sweet VA tobaccos with a very assertive Latakia presence. It is not overkill like say Pirate Kake, but more in a Londonblend 1000 way. The tobacco came way too wet, as most do to my taste, but once dried smoked very well. There is no tongue bite and very few relights, overall one that I would seriously consider adding to my rotation.

I'm reluctant to go against the crowd , but I just didn't find this one special. I find the blend mild but burns hot, reminds me of something ??? maybe a Dan's tobacco product, not very interesting. Has a light vanilla topping that I find distracting, not what I want on my tobacco, although it produces a nice scent.. This blend lacks body, is light on latakia and seems to need aging . Too many middle of the road latakia blends out there to buy this one again...

I agree with reviewer "Wellpipe ", " Unfortunately the spice is slightly too much for my palate and leaves my mouth sore the next day"

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: Dans Mellow Mallard with topping.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Smoky and swarthy are good descriptors for this blend. At match the initial flavor presentation is olive / bitter olive - elegant in its way but not suitable for a main course. The olive is gradually joined by a sweetness that starts small and builds until the sweetness is plump and beautiful at center stage like a big rack of ribs in the middle of the table smothered in tangy barbeque sauce - the sweetness stays here for the rest of the bowl. There is quite a bit of spice in here too - tasty and tangy, nicely paired to the sweetness. And at some point mid-bowl there is a solid but not overwhelming jolt of nicotine.

The sweetness sets this blend apart - special indeed. Unfortunately the spice is slightly too much for my palate and leaves my mouth sore the next day. If it weren't for that aspect I would smoke this all the time.

Pipe Used: Wellington Full Bent

Age When Smoked: New - tin date <30 days old

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If this blend were a woman I'd marry her. It's that good. What makes the blend shine for me is that little touch of sweetness. It's such a startling contrast to the rest of the blend. Outstanding.

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Spicy, dark and cigar-like, this blend is a little edgy with a noticeable smokiness.

There's also a disconcerting tin aroma that I can only guess is some kind of chocolate or coffee flavoring. Very strange.

UPDATE: Having smoked 1792 Flake, I wonder if there isn't some tonka bean flavoring in this blend? Still can't pin down that weird tin aroma and flavor note.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It is not common to find such excellent blend these days. Full, potent, easy to smoke and pleasant aroma and smoke. Great tobacco!

My rate: 5.0

D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I will start by saying this: When my favorite retailer gets with my favorite blender and makes a blend- its as good as sold. I have all but the X-mas blend that I didn't know existed until today. This is my new favorite all-day english blend. It hits all the right spots on my palate and satisfies my desire for sweet and salty all at once. It comes very user friendly and perfect for instant packing. The smell is like a warm spring hike through the meadow by the Little Rock River. In the tin and on the air it hints at dark soil and moss, wood and leather. In one of my own handmade pipes, this blend burns consistantly from first light to last puff with never a bitter suggestion or fowl aftertaste. If you like english blends occasionally or constantly, I couldn't recommend one more highly at this time.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin of Black is from 2009 and I have not smoked it new. Based on that, this is a very tasty blend. The flavor is sweet and smoky. Although I am sure the Virginias have sweetened with time, there is definitely some added casing or topping to Black. But that serves the blend really well. The tobaccos seem to be in perfect proportion and in addition to the sweetness; there is a noticeable spice component to Black too. It doesn’t bite but it can burn hot if puffed quickly. That is the only thing that takes away a star for me. Black could be considered an aromatic English or a “crossover” English blend. Regardless of the category, this is a delicious tobacco and kudos to Smoking Pipes on this fine, somewhat unique blend.

Pipe Used: Mainly Group 4