A bold, swarthy blend of bright Virginias, stoved reds and fragrant latakia with a hint of sweetness.

Notes: Warm and earthy, with a light and lingering sweetness that is carefully interwoven with a subtle smokiness.

BrandLow Country Pipe & Cigar
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.1

The red Va. is a tad more obvious than the other Virginias, and offers tangy, dark fruit and a little earth. The sweetness is fermented in the McClelland manner with some familiar barbeque notes. I detect a bare hint of grass with minor spice hits here and there from the bright Virginia. The Cyprian latakia is a moderate addition, and noticeable for the smokey, woodsy sweetness you expect from it. Whatever the topping is, it's sweet, though I suspect that attribute comes as much from how the Virginias were processed than how it was topped. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. Well balanced and very consistent in flavor, it burns at a moderate pace with not many relights, but it leaves a slight bit of moisture at the finish. It also leaves a very pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If this blend were a woman I'd marry her. It's that good. What makes the blend shine for me is that little touch of sweetness. It's such a startling contrast to the rest of the blend. Outstanding.

I'm reluctant to go against the crowd , but I just didn't find this one special. I find the blend mild but burns hot, reminds me of something ??? maybe a Dan's tobacco product, not very interesting. Has a light vanilla topping that I find distracting, not what I want on my tobacco, although it produces a nice scent.. This blend lacks body, is light on latakia and seems to need aging . Too many middle of the road latakia blends out there to buy this one again...

I agree with reviewer "Wellpipe ", " Unfortunately the spice is slightly too much for my palate and leaves my mouth sore the next day"

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: Dans Mellow Mallard with topping.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin of Black is from 2009 and I have not smoked it new. Based on that, this is a very tasty blend. The flavor is sweet and smoky. Although I am sure the Virginias have sweetened with time, there is definitely some added casing or topping to Black. But that serves the blend really well. The tobaccos seem to be in perfect proportion and in addition to the sweetness; there is a noticeable spice component to Black too. It doesn’t bite but it can burn hot if puffed quickly. That is the only thing that takes away a star for me. Black could be considered an aromatic English or a “crossover” English blend. Regardless of the category, this is a delicious tobacco and kudos to Smoking Pipes on this fine, somewhat unique blend.

Pipe Used: Mainly Group 4

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

Smoky and swarthy are good descriptors for this blend. At match the initial flavor presentation is olive / bitter olive - elegant in its way but not suitable for a main course. The olive is gradually joined by a sweetness that starts small and builds until the sweetness is plump and beautiful at center stage like a big rack of ribs in the middle of the table smothered in tangy barbeque sauce - the sweetness stays here for the rest of the bowl. There is quite a bit of spice in here too - tasty and tangy, nicely paired to the sweetness. And at some point mid-bowl there is a solid but not overwhelming jolt of nicotine.

The sweetness sets this blend apart - special indeed. Unfortunately the spice is slightly too much for my palate and leaves my mouth sore the next day. If it weren't for that aspect I would smoke this all the time.

Pipe Used: Wellington Full Bent

Age When Smoked: New - tin date <30 days old

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It is not common to find such excellent blend these days. Full, potent, easy to smoke and pleasant aroma and smoke. Great tobacco!

My rate: 5.0

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Low Country - Black.

I had a battle opening it, the ring pull snapped off so tin-opener to the rescue! Once the lid comes off a very coarse blend is revealed, one where I can easily identify some pieces of flake. It appears a 50/50 split between brown and black tobaccos, and the moisture's faultless.

Where the taste is concerned at first I get quite a fair divide between sweet and smoky, making it an exceptionally smooth English. Once the bowl's stabilized the smoky addition easily overtakes any sweetness; it's still remarkably smooth, but smokier. Regarding the sweetness I'd be inclined to say there's the presence of a topping, it seems a bit too much to be natural. It burns cool, and only bites slightly when REALLY strained.

I'm one of the few who like the room-note, and I find the nicotine above medium.

Low Country Black easily warrants four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: L' Anatra

Age When Smoked: One month

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)

Having been partaking of a 2014 version of this blend and a well-aged tin of Bombay Court, I much prefer Black.

Tin note is signature McClelland's, and hits the nose with wafts of wine, fruit, bbq'd meat, and smoke.

At the match, the dark fruit comes through, in a syrupy sort of way, bringing to mind flavours I find in a blend such as Dark Twist, quickly followed by a smooth, smokey push from the latakia. The tastes darken to a degree as the bowl progresses, but don't deviate far from the sweet, smoky profile that is evident at lightup.

I found I enjoyed this most when I'd consume 1/3 of a bowl, and then leave it alone for a day or so. Coming back, all the flavours had concentrated, offering a deeply satisfying taste experience, with a moderate amount of nicotine. Medium flavoured +, but very well behaved.

This is nice stuff, and unique, as noted by other reviewers. Recommended.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (23)
Very Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Who the hell find the strength medium or even above!!!! This is a very light IN NICOTIN tobacco and this is what asked for. I often find latakia forward blends which are rated strong here on this site. Latakia is a very mild tobacco IN NICOTIN . I think many people here confused taste and streght here. Now to the blend. I find it boring. To me it is a average , lightly flavored english. I was really looking forward and when i openend the tin i was greeted by a rather dry tobacco which smelled tipically smoky with a little vanilla. And so it tastes. Boring and I smoked many blends in this manner. And not satisfying by the lack of strenght. By the way: Is there any american fellow who is interested in trading german tobaccos for us made ones? Mail me . I would send at first,so it is not risky for you

Purchased From: smokig pipes

Similar Blends: Sam gawith Perfection.