A classic bright golden flake made of selected, fragrant, fully matured Virginia tobaccos. Its exquisite, very refined, fruity aroma is carefully balanced and develops into perfect smoking pleasure in your pipe.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Taste

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)

First impression:

This is a very good Virginia Flake. The tin scent is very sweet, just a good, matured high-quality Virginia. Medium- blonde flakes, obviously high-quality leaf. Stuffing a Flake, I always use the fold and roll method. It works pretty good with only half of a single Flake. The tobacco is not pressed too tightly, so it is very nice to handle. Lighting it is no problem and it stays lit well down to the bottom of the bowl. Pay some attention and smoke it slow. If you really do, you will fully enjoy it. Otherwise, as many Virginias, it might get hot, but that will be no problem either. This tobacco is very easy to handle in temperature. Its taste is surprisingly not as sweet as one may expect from the tin scent. It's rather spicy and smoky, even though the natural Virginia sweetness is always preasent in the background. The taste is becoming fuller after the middle of the bowl. Its smoke is creamy and full. All in all, a very good Virginia Flake and a classic, respectively on the German market. I wouldn't recommend it, as any Flake Cut Tobacco, to beginners, though. If a good English tobacco is a 'gentleman', this one is a 'sailor'. You may image sailors smoking this in the harbour after the work is done :) Rich and satisfiying. And in my opinion, better than f.ex. McBarens' VirginiaFlake. A nice change of pace for an english smoker like me. I like it.

UPDATE: This tobacco has proved very well since I cracked the tin. It's just a great smoke. It's a steady and reliable tobacco, something you can always trust. It seems to give me the same kind of silent enjoyment every time I smoke it. Earthy, slightly sweet, malty and grassy. An everyday- anytime smoke for me.

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Seven years between tins I would still claim that Richmond Navy Cut is one of the most consistent and reliable flakes I've smoked. Typical Danish cased Virginia Flake reminiscent of blue Capstan and why not Troost Slices. Affordable, nice and easy.

pfeifen-spirit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pfeifen-spirit (1)

Reasonable price and high quality, Could find it only in Europe.Five Stars if possible.

Connaisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connaisseur (2)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

The tobacco requires no magic to be well fired. For a flake he glows very well. The heat development is surprisingly low. In summary, very good smoking qualities. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the taste. Initially, a light sweetness from the Virginia is noticeable. This sweetness is quickly drowned out by a very natural and bitter taste paired with a mild soap taste. The taste of this tobacco lacks in balance, finesse and subtlety. For me, the taste experience is too uncouth. If this tobacco is smoked too greedy and too fast, he will punish your tongue with descreet brand.

If you like more natural and primitive tobaccos, you might have some fun with the Richmond Navy Cut. However, I stay married with the Mac Baren Navy Flake...

Age When Smoked: Initial purchased, fresh

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the second historic Richmond mixture. Once you pop open the tin you see the nicely trimmed flakes waiting for you to enjoy them, even though they are quite moist at first and need some drying. They are not very pressed making it easier to fill the pipe, light it and keep it puffing.

It has an honest Virginia taste without too much sweetness. Surely a small bowl fits best to this tobacco, cause when I tasted it in a big bowl, after the 3rd /5th it became much stronger but also a bit bitter. I like it, but not as much as Mixture.

Arko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arko (8)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This one is - as far as I know - only available on the German market. Which is too bad, it's a great Virginia flake!

It's nothing fancy, it really isn't. Don't expect a huge and colorful Virginia blend like, say, McClellands Blackwoods Flake or SG Full Virginia Flake. The Richmond is much more of a wallflower compared to these, and I guess that some smokers would even find it rather boring.

Not me though. In fact this one has been one of my favorite flakes during the last couple of years, and besides a dull tin a while ago I've never been disappointed with it. For me it's more or less the perfect all-day-smoke, and I would even go as far as to call it a potentiel desert island tobacco. Again, it doesn't have the deep dimensions of some of the 'big' Virginias, but it sure has a nice little character of its own, and I often find a great variety of sweet fruity flavors coming at me. Delicious! Lo-fi but delicious!

flyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyer (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

i think this brand name is around some 30 years. Maybe then it was still UK made. As far as I remember there have been 2 Richmond flakes around both somewhat similar. Actually a nicely made flake - if scented, only a bit. The maker is using obviously high quality raw tobaccos and its reasonable priced.

You can´t go wrong smoking this tobacco if somebody like natural VA flakes.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)

Light, sweet, a bit fruity VA flake (though I wouldn't go as far as calling it an aromatic - for obvious reasons it might be called a danish "touch"). Good flavour and very low bite tendencies. Perfect moisture straight from the tin. High quality, and one of the cheapest tinned flakes around Europe. It's a no-brainer to smoke and maintain throughout the course of the smoke.

I can't really find any problems with it, so for me it's definately a keeper.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

A very nice quality flake, not exceptional, but very good all the same.

The flakes are well cut and nicely presented, allowing easy seperation, moisture content is fine and flakes can be rubbed or folded without extra drying time.

A very good medium bodied smoke, smooth and a little creamy, no bite, burns well without relights all the way down and no dottle to waste.

Now for the tragic part, I've gone through several tins of this and each time, having opened the tin (and very carefully replacing the lid) within a few days, the taste and flavour have vanished.

Was this a bad batch ? young tobacco ? I still have a couple of tins left, now with a year or so on them so I may be tempted to crack one open to see if the taste and flavour will remain a little longer.

Therefore only three stars whereas four would have been an almost certainty.

I first met this flake way back when I had been smoking the pipe for maybe a year or two; it was my very first flake, which I had originally bought on the strength of two other blends made under the Richmond monicker, both of which have since been discontinued. Ever since, this flake has been my mainstay fallback tobacco whenever I run out of options or ideas as to what to smoke.

Opening the square tin, a delightfully fresh, grassy VA aroma greets the prospective smoker. The flakes are bright golden brown and, while quite moist at first, already in good smoking condition without having to dry the tobacco. RNC can be packed either by folding a flake (the slices are fully the size of the tin's cross-section ) into the bowl or, for smaller bowls, rubbing out the tobacco; both varieties will give a tasty, aromatic, satisfying smoke so long as (as it always is with pure VAs) one doesn't suck too hard. If one does, so will the tobacco.

The aroma is nice, sweetly full, lingering on as a beautiful room perfume without going over the top; the taste is sweet, lemonish, only very slightly sour, with a good beefy flavour that in my experience (approx. 20 years down the line from my first contact with this 'baccy) indicates high-quality VA is in the majority here.

This used to be my absolute favourite flake until I recently ran into Poul Ilsted's Golden Flake, which has more strength and is spicier. But it definitely will remain a part of my repertoire; it's still one of my top-ten blends.

Anecdotically, I managed to leave a half-empty tin of this blend somewhere in the back of my cabinet in the early 2000s. Some six years later, I found it again when I was moving house, and found its contents still in quite good smoking condition despite the unsealed tin having sat there for all this time.