This recipe, skilfully blended from specially selected high-grade tobaccos to give a naturally cool and clean smoke with an extra mellow aroma, is reserved only for Park Lane No.7. The unique curing process ensures that Park Lane remains fresh and pleasant to the palate. It guarantees fragrant and satisfying enjoyment.

Notes: The name of Park Lane No.7 is still associated to the brand Dixon & Hamilton.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
latakiaowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiaowl (4)

I have been able to spot the white-striped pouch of PL7 on tobacconists' shelves in Italy since I was a kid. Then, in the sixties, few pipe tobaccos were available to the public, just the overrated Clan, the Amphoras family (then blended by the Dutch coffee merchant Douwe Egberts) AND the PL7. I am sincerely happy that the same pouch ( or maybe slightly smaller) can be seen on those shelves today too. A tobacco does NOT remain on sale all these years for no reason. ANd the reasons are more than one. The first is, quite obviously, that it's cheap. Less than Half a S.Gawith, in Italy. The second is, quite obviously as well, that it's GOOD. You can smoke this tobacco all day long and never tire yorself of the never-intruding taste, the pleasant room note ( my wife refers to it as "the good one" versus all the others I smoke - I am mainly a EM-very-much-loaded-with-latakia smoker so you can guess why) . The third reason, eventually, is that is perfect, never too dry, never too wet, never too strong, never too weak, not too thick, not too thin. Please stay, PL7! One of my favourites otuside the EM-latakia category!

felipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
felipe (6)

This is a great and honest tobacco.

The unsealed pouch contains eleven jumbo-sized flakes, that have a pleasant smell of honey and figs. It stays moist in the pouch for a couple of months, but I would keep it in a jar anyway. Probably it has some humectants and a very mild top casing, but it's extremely discreet and doesn't alter the taste of the tobacco. If you cut the flake at a 2/3 imaginary line, you can fold it to fit it in any regular-sized bowl, for a long lasting and satisfying smoke. The light is much more easier than any other flake, and the upkeep isn't complicated either. Being a VA blend, you don't want to burn the tobacco or it becomes like a Marlboro in a bowl with tongue bite.

The virginias are very good, and the burleys adds body to a subtle and nuanced smoke. The flake provides an interesting experience, with the last third of the bowl being the most tasty and satisfying, as I like it when I smoke VA blends.

I smoked this tobacco as an introduction to virginia flakes, but I still smoke it when I'm not in the right mindset for more complex (and expensive) tobaccos. Excellent for a morning smoke. I view it as a cheap substitute for Capstan. Some people use it for home blending but I don't do that.

Pipe Used: Many briars

Age When Smoked: Just bought

Purchased From: OTC tobacco (in Italy)

Similar Blends: Capstan.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

chocolate flake ! mild but not too much, ready to be smoked, excellent room note, and a real flake. cheap and good. When there is no Dunhill tobacco around for a VaPer, this burley-VA is an optimal choice for me.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Is not the best tobacco around but it does its nice job. When you open the package it's ready to smoke and it gives you a pleasant smoking with basicly no taste. It is also perfect to use as mixture with others tobacco. Only flaw the flake are too big.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Another blend that had its own unique personality that has changed today, losing all its unique taste. Today I do not know what to say, is a flake who smoked pure does not offer anything special. If someone has smoked before the manufacturer changed one knows what I mean, if you think I want to try, just buy a pack of 50g and if you can find something. What? I do not know!

danpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
danpipe (1)

I found my all day tobacco, finally! It is light and sweet enough to satisfy my taste, a faithful friend for every moment of the day, while reading, studying or just relaxing. It has an aromatic note that I really like, very balanced and never excessive, with a wonderful and delicate milk/chocolate flavour, without losing the taste of natural tobacco. I experimented many aromatic tobaccos in these years, but PL7 has something more than the others, I know it's just a matter of personal likes, but I think I discovered my ideal smoke, simply perfect for me. It is probably the lightest flake I ever smoked, and I consider this as a value, because I can enjoy it even in the early morning without any problem.

The only negative note is that Orlik does not longer produce this tobacco...I've read that maybe the brand will pass under British American Tobacco or Oettinger/Davidoff, however I hope that Park Lane will remain available, as it has been for decades.

In my opinion it is a classic, which surely deserve your attention.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with the other reviewers regarding their comments that this blend is similar to Amphora regular. Maybe it is a little bit lighter and less aromatic.

The very nice sweet flavor is associated also with an elegant pippery taste of real burley, which I consider a true tobacco taste.

Puffing slowly burns well, and satisfies almost all my needs. Maybe I would give it one more star if it was stronger a bit.

Would be an all day smoke for me. I am sure I would buy more of this, but the life is so short and there are lots of better tastes to discover.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE , 02-14-2011

Tried again recently, nothing has changed if not my appreciation so one star added.

Original review I agree with Skando about this tobacco: it's a "regular" very similar to Amphora Original Blend with more deepness but less elegange in flavour. It's often used for blending by many personal mixtures lovers, so if you (unlike me) are in the genre give it a try. Highly recommended for beginners as "first flake": it's very easy to smoke.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I have recently rediscovered this honest flake, which has been a stable mate at the Italian tobacconist since my beginning as a pipe smoker in the mid 70. Its always been on the cheap side, just like all the pouched OTC tobaccos, but the only one in flake form, and meant to be chocolatey.

The pouch is white, smaller than standard, and not sealed. Its actually showing to be made by Orlik of Denmark; I clearly remember some years ago it was manufactured in the Netherlands under license of the phantomatic Dixon & Hamilton, which was supposed to be a British trade mark. I dont really know if PL7 may have been ever produced in the UK.

The flakes inside are the whole length of the pouch, I may say each flake is long doubler than standard. More or less 15 flakes per pouch. Their colour is a mix of bright and medium/dark brown, the smell quite mild and neutral. I dont smell clearly any chocolate/cocoa topping, just something faintly sweet and grassy.

The tobacco doesnt come wet, nor its much dry due to the non-sealed pouch. A single flake, folded in four and slightly rubbed just to open the weed, perfectly fits a medium-large bowl (Im reviewing it by a Savinelli Tiger 101, a sort of chubby billiard). I have not faced any particular problem in lighting.

The first puffs release a nice sweet aroma to the nose, I cannot detect the kind, but one may tell its milk-chocolate. This is going to disappear soon, and place is let to a well rounded non-offensive smoke, which I would associate to Skandinavik Regular or Amphora Original Blend, or even to McBs Golden Blend. As a consequence I should classify PL7 as a VaB flake (the pouch doesnt list any ingredient, nor does the site of the Italian distributor, not to say the the Orliks site is not listing PL7 at all) in the regular family.

Just like the Skandinavik line the pouch is also shown the classification in three points: BODY: 2 AROMATIC TASTE: 4 ROOM NOTE: 3

Therefore, in as scale from 1 to 5, PL7 should be classified as a medium-mild strength, medium-full aromatic tobacco with a pleasant room note& I dont agree with the second.

Regarding me, I just found a honest flake which I will surely revisit again, to be smoked when one doesnt look for a dramatic experience. Caution should be given in mainting a slow-draw just to avoid a faint acidic and ashy back-flavour.

My rating should be easily three stars, but as far as TR means offering an opinion based to how much the other fellows would appreciate PL7, two are enough.