Swedens foremost pipe tobacco with a clean taste and sweetness from the tobacco itself. No artificial fooling around allowed in these pouches. Can easily be smoked with great pleasure occasionally or for, as many Swedes do, a lifetime. The Grev Hamilton Blandning has been sold since 1924.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Manufactured BySt-Group Assens
2.5
Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sweet with a little fig like flavor in the mix. Leaving a wonderful fragrance in the room which smoked in. This mixture is a true Swedish classic

Pipe Used: Smaller pipe bowl recommended

fred1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fred1 (4)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is a holy thing here in sweden. Everyone you speak to about pipesmoking (in sweden) young or old is gonna tell you to buy and try this pipetobacco - Greve Gilbert Hamiltons blandning. And why is that you might ask? The answer is...tradition! Yes, tradition. Your grandads dad smoked this when it came out 1924 and his son after him and the sonson and now you have bought your first 300kr pipe and a pouch of "the Count". You pack your pipe real bad the first time and put a match to it and inhale and...it forgives you for how bad you´ve packed the pipe. It burns quite well and doesn´t need to be relit most of the times. Thats why it is good starter for any "pipenoob". I did this trial and it took me...8 years to admit to myself that this is what a genuine pipetobacco should be.

After this i jumped on the Aromatics line and for a while i liked them better than the regular blends. But now i´m back where it all begun. Enough about me...

I like this tobacco in all ways, except the taste. I find it to be little cigarett-feeling about it. Maybe it is just me or the fine cut the tobacco is cut in. I love the roomnote, that is the best about it. Second comes the smell of the baccy itself and the looks of it. If only the taste would be more like "round" and not so sharp i could have smoked this more often. I can bite you if you´re not careful (i seem to puff to heavy).

I think this tobacco has been "sold out" a bit too much. It deserves a higher place than a simple supermarket tobacco. This is a classic and i will puff it between my other blends that i have just to remind myself how a "cheap*-gasstation-sold-in- wending-machines-tobacco" can taste so much of tradition.

*= Tobacco in Sweden isn´t cheap at all.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I got a packet sent from a friend in Sweden. I regret this is not sold abroad. Solid tobacco that with hints of fruit and a savory touch that tastes like pepper or clove. I loved the stuff, never tried anything else like it, it could be classed as a semi aromatic or a non aromatic, quality all day packet blend, not too sweet, not too cased. Top stuff.

Subcomandante Claes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subcomandante Claes (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Probably my favourite tobacco of all time. It has a simplicity that makes it almost impossible to get tired of. It's clean, strong and full bodied. Amazing. I started my life as a pipe smoker with this 15 years ago and wish I wouldn't have been lead astray and smoked roll ups for the following 14 years. It's a shame it's so hard to find outside Sweden. If I still lived back home I would smoke this everyday for sure now when I'm a pipe smoker again. The best substitute I have found so far is Peterson - Irish Oak, but if anyone have found something more similar please let me know.

Berthold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berthold (4)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Strong

This is the most common pipe tobacco in Sweden, sold in all supermarkets and convenience stores. I started smoking pipes with this blend, but I soon gave it up for more pleasant brands. I did buy a bag just the other day out of curiosity and this is what I found:

The taste is very harsh with little actual tobacco flavour. Fair amount of nicotine but nowhere near Dunhill Nightcap. It will cause tonguebite unless smoked very carefully or with a filtered pipe. I dont consider myself a lightweight and I enjoy full strength tobaccoes, sometimes I even smoke pure latakia, but this is just awful in every way.

To sum it up in an elegant and artisctic manner; smoking Hamilton is like inhaling exhaust fumes with a slight aroma of old boots and potato peels.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dunmore, MM Legend

Purchased From: ICA Maxi

Mattias1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattias1981 (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

can give a little tongue bite from time to time...

Essawi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Essawi (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

NOT Recommended not even worth the money , only smoke if you don't have anything ells , very poor taste

mr Afo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr Afo (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Update for being fair. I added an extra star. But anyway I don´t recommend this. (It´s just that I don´t find it correct to go ahead and give bad judgement on something I wouldn´t ever like, and also only tried once).

------------------------

This is not for me! Since I´m quite new to this thing with smoking pipe I couldn´t recommend it to beginners. I do prefer mild to extremely mild tobaccos/aromatics and this is certainly not one of thoose.

Hamiltonsmix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hamiltonsmix (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Have smoked and really enjoyed GGHB for 20+ years, but not any more. Since 01-01-2011 the EU requires pipe smoking tobacco to be more coarse cut (min 1.5 mm wide) and the manufacturer - Swedish Match (SM) - has complied. I wouldn't be concerned by this alone but it appears that SM has also changed the flavor. When opening the pouch there is an apparent 'fruity' scent and, in the hand, moist is more noticeable. My first impression wasn't GGHB at all, but cherry or vanilla flavored Borkum Riff (me not like). To add to the disappointment the tobacco now burns differently, probably because of the coarse EU-cut, so the slow, relaxed smoking style has become memory. A truly sad result from 'product development'.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My grandfathers tobacco for me this smells granpa smoking pipe makes me go memory lane 28 years a go he died.but theres many better tobaccos out there.i not buying again sorry granpa.(this is in sweden nr 1 grocerystore tobacco nr 2 is caravelle nr 3 borkum riff thats what you find in a groserystore in sweden you have to pay 20 usd for this in a groserystore.in us a groserystore blend cost 2-3usd.so i only order my tobaccos from us where you got fine tin and bulk tobaccos for 5-10usd.)

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Seeing that a few reviews of GGHB popped up recently, I felt I had to add my "two crowns" to the matter. As a part of the "somewhat" newer generation, spoiled with the benefits of globalization and the internet, I have no real nostalgic attachment to "the Count" (other than a vague memory of dabbling with it, and Caravelle, some ten years ago). If I remember correctly, it didn't really strike any chords with me back then, and I can't say that it did now with the pouch I got a week ago or so. It's a decent smoke, as has been mentioned, with a pretty good nicotine hit, discreet sweet aroma and a decent body and taste. It is however quick to burn the tongue and gurgle if not smoked carefully.

A little trivia: A. Jansson & E. Lindfelt in "I Pipans Vänkrets" (pages 110-112) states that GGHB is manufactured by MacBaren. It is also noteworthy to mention that it (the book), in an old ad print, is also stated that it is a mixture of VA and oriental (page 124-125). If that (or the manufacturing) is true about today's mixture, I don't know.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

my first (pipe) tobacco. i'd always enjoyed the room note with its lovely smell of baked apples, and when my mentor gave me a pipe, matches and a pouch of "the count", i really looked forward to tasting the same notes. i didn't, of course, untill much later, as it's a quite powerfull tobacco, with a rather dominating share of kentucky right next to its virginia base. i'm not sure i recognize any cavendish here, but it may be responsible for the flavourings?

it smokes quite fast if you're not carefull, and invariably ends up wet in larger pipes. relights are quite unpleasant. ergo: smoke only small pipefulls. quite strong as it is, you won't need more, anyway. i like it quite well, as it's a reasonably honest and straightforward blend, but i may be partly influenced by nostalgia, too.

the brand is Swedish Match, but it's being produced by Orlik. i see no difference between today's count and the one i tried 27 years ago. still quite strong, flavoured with apple juice and other stuff - and really a quite decent smoke. recommended if you're in Sweden and low on the real stuff (like, say, walnut flake).

ThomK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThomK (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

This is where it all started in 1964, I got my first pipe and a punch of Greve Gilbert Hamilton, a sun of a gun in its time.

Invented from the biginning by a Curnel in the cavalry, but made and sold by the Swedish Tobacco from 1924 and even today 2009 09.

It´s a fincut tobacco, almost cigaretcut. Burns to fast and becoms very hot and strong in a big bowl pipe and should only be smoked in a pipe with a wery small hole. It´s made by virginia, burley, lakartia and some seckret addings.

This is a tobacco I never will forget, and I use it as a reference for all other tobacco Excuse my bad English, I´m not born in England !! /ThomK in Sweden.

Bo-Erland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bo-Erland (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the tobacco for the connoisseur pipesmokers that doesn't enjoy flavoured, vanilla-, fig- and molasses-tasting and spiced tobacco at all.

The main ingredients in Greve Hamiltons Blandning are Virginia tobacco mixed with some Burley tobacco but also a little bit of Oriental tobacco are included. Most of the tobaccos are air-cured but even dark-fired and flue-cured tobaccos are ingredients in this mixture.

The taste is outstanding and smooth and very pleasant, from the tobaccos natural sweetnesses, but can burn your tonguge, like most Virginia tobaccos, if smoked too hasty. Preferably Greve Hamiltons Blandning should be smoked in a clean, small bowl pipe as it used to, when this tobacco was introduced on the market in 1924. It then burns quite slowly, when you sip your pipe gently, and your pipe will not become too hot. Greve Hamiltons Blandning will then certainly give the smoker a great feeling of satisfaction. Even the smoker's non smoking wife or hubby will enjoy the very pleasant smell that appears when it's smoked with care.

When finished, the remains are just grey ashes and your pipe will be easily cleaned afterwards, because there are no sugar added at all.

I love it! Highly recommended!