Based on the "Bad Nun" we add a 5% of Perique to the cake, and... See yourself the result!!

Blended ByKendal
Manufactured ByGawith & Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Medium to Strong, Strong
None Detected, Mild
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are citrusy with plenty of dark stewed fruitiness, a little grass and a bit of deep earthiness. The perique is elusive at times, and seems more raisin and plum sweet than spicy. The spice hit is not strong, not always noticeable. There's a floral essence that reminds me of Lakeland, but it may be coming either naturally through the Virginias or from the fact the tobaccos absorb a little Lakeland by being in the same factory where the scented blends are. Either way or both, it diminishes some after the half way point, it always remains to compete with the Virginias for attention. Burns cool, slow and requires some relights. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle and no bite. Has a strong nic-hit.

I edited this review to reflect my latest thoughts on the topping, but I'm still put off a little by the floralness, even though I have been know to rate blends with that characteristic higher, and often enjoy Lakelands. I also have learned that essence of Lakeland that is absorbed by unscented blends varies from batch to batch, which makes reviewing unscented G&H tobaccos a little harder. Hence the neutral two star rating.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I generally agree with Jim Inks' review, except on two important points: 1) I found the Perique noticeable throughout, and more importantly 2) I really didn't find any Lakeland florals or botanicals, just the flavors of the Perique. If there are Lakelands in this or plain Bad Nun, they obviously don't come through for everyone. I do smoke a lot of GH blends, with and without Lakelands, and I do 'get' the Lakelands on most of their flavored blends. Try these if you like a strong honest smoke and decide for yourself if the Lakelands come through for you.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs