Blending Tobacco of Lemon Virginia.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

From the C&D website: "High grade Old Belt golden Virginias. Sweet, with just a hint of citrus, because a naturally high sugar content and relatively low presence of oil, this bright leaf makes a both fine companion to a Burley, and makes for a dandy smoke on its own. "

I got a supply of this at the same time I got some Burley Ribbon Cut for the same purpose - curiosity mostly. What is probably considered blender is indeed a blend well suited to smoking alone. I do enjoy a matured VA flake now and then, but I mostly avoid them as I do not like the lingering aftertaste they leave (at least for me). This however is Virginia naturally sweet, tasty fruitiness (not citrus to me, more pineapple) with a pleasant grapenuts cereal flavor for after effects and no bite.

As a blender I have used this 50/50 with the C&D Bulk Burley Ribbon for a decent smoke and I used it 40/60 with C&D's discontinued Orient Express to sweeten it up and make a fine homemade mixture.

I am considering getting some of their blending perique because this VA reminds me of McClelland's Blackney's Best Arcadian Ribbon (without the perique, of course) in taste profile and see what some more home experimenting can come up with. Can't beat the price.

Pipe Used: Corncobs, briars

Age When Smoked: New production

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Tin: This is a C&D blending tobacco. It is Lemon VA, only available in bulk. Sweet, buttery pancake scent. The tobacco is at the correct moisture level. A uniform tan to light auburn color.

Packing & Lighting: #517 is also available in flake form. The ribbon is derived from rubbing out the flake. This results in a ribbon product that is stiff and long, with some unrubbed flake mixed in; packing a bowl is not simple. The tobacco lights, and stays lit, with one match.

Taste & Aroma: Lightly sweet; tangy pancake taste and aroma. The taste gets richer and better towards the bottom of the bowl. Easily burns to ash.

Nicotine: A surprisingly strong nicotine jolt

Room Note: Similar to the aroma

Overall: Recommended. Initially mildly tangy, a rich, classic VA buttery oats taste and aroma develops only towards the bottom of the bowl. Compare to Samuel Gawith's FVF.

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)

I recently picked up some blending tobaccos to experiment a little and see what sort of blend I could come up with for myself. Among these is a pound of this Virginia ribbon, and of course I had to smoke a bowl by itself to understand what it might bring to a blend.

The aroma in the bag isn't grassy and hay-like as you'd expect from a pure VA, but when smoked you get a teensy bit of that. It has a very full flavor, maybe a bit oaty, but despite my expectations, didn't bite unless I really smoked fast. A nice enough smoke on it's own, but nothing I'd bother keeping around on it's own merits. A bit more boring than I really expected, considering how popular straight virgina tobaccos are and I can understand why it's much more popular when mixed with perique.

[EDIT] After smoking this plain VA ribbon for a week, I guess it grew on me and I fell in love with it, and will keep this to smoke by itself from now on.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Great VA similar to samuel gawiths full virginia flake