The base of this delicious flake is a mixture of golden and orange Virginias. This tobacco seduces you with its natural, complex sweetness and slight nuances of lemon. Delicate aromas of meadow honey and fruity orange underline this.

Notes: Description is translated from German packaging.

BrandIlsted
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
FlavoringHoney, Orange
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Full

3.7
dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aroma description on tin is quite accurate.

This is a great allday smoke. A quality virginia blend with subtle honey and orange topping lingering in the background while you puff away. This one i put in the same category as Orlik's Golden Sliced and Richmonds Navy Cut. Probably Golden Flake is the mildest of these three.

Virginia Lovers should try it at least once!

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

After ordering this on line, I noticed that lemon and honey is used as a topping, my heart sank. On opening the tin, a quick sniff concurred, lemon and honey, I had a mental image of a McB's salesman "Will that be six scoops of honey or seven"? followed by a cheery "Three lumps of caramel to cover your tasteless tobacco sir"?

I was pleasantly supprised to find both lemon and honey, which is present, well and truly in the background. A tempered hand has been used, proven by several DGT's.

IMHO, the benchmark for an excellent Virginia is Sam Gawith's Golden Glow / Medium Virginia Flake and Capstan Flake Medium.

Golden Flake however, is in my opinion, of a lighter vein, this does not mean it's bad. The flakes rub out easily and take to the match, the flavouring remains firmly in the background as noted and a good quality virginia, without bite I may add, comes to the fore. For me, this will be a more interesting smoke as the weather warms. For now, a good tobacco, I have no regrets buying two tins, they will not gather dust and as the summer progresses, I may well buy more.

Well worth a try without being an outstanding smoke.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

This one's mostly VA; it reaches me in perfect condition for smoking (not too moist, not too dry), and after some tests, I tend to use my smallest bowls for it when rubbed out.

The taste is potent and sweetly VA-ish; I can't detect any flavouring or casing (except for that possible hint of Burley). The smoke is quite strong and dense; if you put this in a wide bowl, it's likely to run away and burn too hot. Rub it well, and don't stuff it too tightly.

The room note is a complete beauty: this tobacco leaves a very gentle, nice sweetness in the air that doesn't hint at all at tobacco -- if you live in a condo and have sensitive neighbours, this might be your ticket. The scent this flake leaves is much nicer, more refined and far less obtrusive than any room deodorants!

4 out of 4. I've been looking for the "perfect" flake for a long time, and this one comes close enough that I think I'll stick with it.

-- update 09-08-26: after having smoked this blend folded rather than rubbed out for the last few months, I tend to recommend that style of packing. The first half of the bowl will be potent and sweet; the last half will turn out quite strong and very satisfying.

-- Note 10-05-26: shortened and corrected the beginning of my review