Super Value Buttered Rum is a blend of mild leaf flavored with a soft, warm note of sweet rum. A delicious confectionary taste and aroma define this blend, which packs easily; lights well. A consistent experience is maintained throughout the smoke.

Notes: Dream Castle/Super Value pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Sutliff Tobacco Company.

BrandSuper Value
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

2.3
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Has a buttered rum topping as stated, and isn't as overpowering as I was expecting; more on the mild side. You can also taste a little of the grassy, citrusy Virginia and the nutty, lightly sharp burley a tad more. Has little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Dry it some, or you'll have too much moisture in your bowl. Needs a few relights, but not enough to bother you. Though it'll still have some dampness in the bowl, you'll have a pleasant all day smoke. Has a decent after taste and room note.

mtitus83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtitus83 (10)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The buttered rum was my favorite of the blends I have so far (until I had BCA) but the two of these I think are very similar in nature. The Buttered Rum is a nice smooth smoke with just enough flavoring to not be over powering and its another that leaves a great room note. Some of the notes I picked up on from the taste were of mild vanilla and cherry but not enough. If you are looking for something smooth with subtle flavors this should be right up your alley.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega (Briar)

Age When Smoked: 2 Weeks

Purchased From: J&R Cigar; Selma NC, USA; www.jrcigars.com

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Got this 1.5oz pouch as a complimentary extra with an order of tobacco from pipesandcigars.com. The freshly opened pouch releases delicious aromas of baking cookies, hot rum cake, rich vanilla frosting, and melted butter mixed with graham cracker crumbs. I'm not kidding, this stuff smells great. I don't however smell any trace of the tobacco.

Packs easy, Lights well. Smoke starts out sweet, rum and vanilla are present but not overwhelming. The tobacco comes through barely, mild and muted. The flavoring is persistent through most of the bowl, and tastes fairly pleasant. The end of the bowl sweetens with caramelizing sugar, quite pleasant with the vanilla in the background.

Better than your run-of-the-mill drugstore blend. But generally, too mild, too weak, too boring. It's obvious this is lower grade leaf like most bargain aromatics, but the casings are pleasant and don't taste quite as chemical-like as most bargain blends.

OK -- but I won't be buying anymore, it‘s a little tiresome. There are too many tastier tobaccos out there. I did eventually finish the pouch though.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)

Super value? But only if worth smoking. There are way better Buttered Rum to waste time with this one. Seeing how I have 12oz, I plan to doctor the blend. I'll update when I come up with a mixture. Got to let it dry out a bit. Bitter. Needless to say I won't be buying another bag of this stuff. It has a pleasant pouch aroma and also a pleasant room note.

Update: I mixed with Tinderbox Wilshire. Wilshire is a ribbon cut Cavendish mix. It's better this way. Still, not ever buying Super Value again.

Another Update: I gave more than half the bag to this guy I see at the smoke shop. He dried it and mixed it with chopped up packing tobacco from out of a cigar box. Drew Estate's Acid line. It smelled like strong vanilla blend and he throughly enjoys it. Go figure! LOL

tbear79072 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbear79072 (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Tried this for the first time. Didn't find anything wrong with it at all. Will be ordering more of this very soon. If you want a strong full bodied blend or something with a heavy room note then move on. This had a very pleasing vanilla note that was not heavy or obtrusive. It had a pleasant aroma and taste that will work great for a daily tobacco or a blender to tone down one that has too much flavor or strength. Leave it packed loose so it burns well or give it some time to dry before you smoke it. I had unburned tobacco in the bottom of my bowl when I was done. It burned well and produced a nice thick smoke. I had no tongue bite or burn from this blend at all. Probably do to the amount of burley in the blend. I see a lot of people talk about this line of tobaccos being second rate. Second rate to those costing $25-$30 or more per pound. This for a 12oz. bag is $15.99. That makes it $21.28 per pound. For an everyday smoke that is not bad. No it is not 1Q or anything like that. If you expect it to be then you are only fooling yourself. This is meant to be a bargain priced tobacco for the person that can't afford the higher dollar blends. I've found with most of the Super Value blends if you go slow and give them time to breathe when smoking they are not all that bad. In fact I keep several on hand to use for daily smokes and as blenders for other tobaccos. If you want more then pay more but if you want a good honest tobacco that will do what it says then go with this and enjoy. I plan to.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood

Age When Smoked: 1 Month

Bjorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bjorn (4)

I do enjoy this pipe Tobacco I like the mildness of it. There is little to no tongue bite and it keeps a good moisture for the begginer pipe smoker I think that it is an excellent start.