A rich English type mixture based on No.503 with added unsweetened black Cavendish and Latakia.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

Corinthian is one of the Atlas blends C&D still offers. Atlas was the name of the New York company that the Tarlors bought which then became Cornell and Diehl.

I certainly am happy C&D began offering newly-developed blends in their selection, and after beginning an exploration of the Atlas blends, I'm just as happy they've retained those to this day as well.

I would not hesitate to smoke #516 all day, and since getting my hands on a few ounces, I haven't. Future quantities will arrive in 1 lb bags. The tobacco burns well after taking easily to the match and seems unable to bite. Those qualities alone weigh the blend heavily towards the four stars.

The taste would bring the blend into the five-star range if there were five stars possible. It has a certain mouth-watering tang and faint saltiness which promote the smokiness of the Latakia. There is not really any sweetness that I notice, but I don't look for it on account of the balance and roundness of the blend as a whole.

Corinthian doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve. No changing of flavors, no complexity or nuance of the sort that demands concentration. This is a straightforward medium English blend suitable any time of day, any season, and any pipe.

This is a nice English in the style of Dunhill 965, but much more restrained. It is in the medium range of fullness and strength. It has all the quality components, cut, and proper moisture typical of this fine blending company. Alas, for this piper, that is not enough. This blend is much shy of a bell ringer. It is smooth, but there are many C&D blends that are so outstanding, that this one is overshadowed IMO. I have considered using this one as my son's first pipe, but that is about all I will ever use it for... where did I leave my tin of Haunted Bookshop?...