Mild, black, fire cured cavendish. Unusual rich flavor. Richly aromatic. Excellent for blending. Slow burning. Cavendish cut.

Notes: All natural tobacco. Cool smoking, even burning without a bite.

BrandBlender's Gold
2.0
gazpacho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazpacho (18)

Blech.

I bought this to see how drug store tobacco smoked. Save your time, save your pipe and save your money.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I purchased this for 11.99 per 12 ounce bag at Walgreens in hopes that it would be a suitable Black Cavendish for when the mood strikes me. What I found is that there is as much humectant used in this blend as there is tobacco. Almost no flavor whatsoever. If you're thinking, "Hey, Lane's BCA for a buck an ounce", think again. This is not even close to BCA in any capacity.

jerryd65641 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jerryd65641 (6)

This is my daily smoke and gives me what I expect... A pleasant tasting,even burning tobacco that is good on the go, indoors or out that doesn't offend thoes around me. I save my english blends for the evenings.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll be brave and go against the tobacco grain on this one. IMHO certain BG mixtures are best for blending. That being said, this brand seems to have gone through a metamorphosis of sorts. At first BG was available in 12oz bags. Overcased, too sweet or too bitey and inferior leaf plaqued this "house brand". In the past few years BG has only been offered in tins. Now that Sutliff makes this mass marketed to drug stores, I have found the quality and flavor to be on par with some of the more expensive brands. These aren't meant to be overly sweet mixtures, but letting them sit out rounds out the flavor and adds a certain richness. Golden Burley, Burley and Black, Vanilla and Cherry Cavendish can be smoked by themselves. While the Natural and Toasted should be blended together. I did this, airing out on parchment paper for a few hours then jarring for a few months. The end result was quite rewarding. A nice dry sweetness with a hint of nutiness and marrying of flavors that gave me a relaxing/unassuming smoke. Plum-like quality and a room note that has that classic pipe smell. Toasted cavendish tends to have a naturally subtle flavor, but will take on the characteristics of whatever it's blended with. Especially after aging. As well as add a sweet smokiness to a blend. Another method which brought out the flavors was for short term storage, to set tin upside down. For long term storage, do the same with mason jar but rotate jar lid side up/down every few months. If you're on a budget, looking to stretch blends out or like keeping an offbeat OTC mixture in your stockpile, BG is a good choice. I'll give this 3 Stars for versatility, quality and price.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Similar Blends: Should be used for blending. Works best when mixed with BG Golden Burley or BG Natural..

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (14)
Very Mild Mild Overwhelming Unnoticeable

I picked this up at Walgreen along with a couple cans of "Natural". The "Natural" was great. This stuff is, well, difficult to describe, and it is the first tobacco I've ever had to scrape out of my pipe. I don't see how it could be used as a mixer because it didn't seem to have any discernable flavor. Also, when I went back to a bowl of "Natural" to cleanse my pipe bowl this stuff had left a taste in the bowl which lasted through half a bowl of the "Natural" before disappearing.

This is my first negative review ever. I understand that Cavendish is a process which is done to burleys or Virginias to produce a product which is then sweetened or flavored. Many aromatics have a heavily cased black Cavendish to add a particular aromatic flavoring to the blend. So in that case I don't understand how these two tobaccos can be so different.

It's like that bit of dialogue in the movie "Better Off Dead." The wife serves up some gooey sludgey stuff to her family. The husband says, "what IS this?" She says, "It's bacon... you like bacon." He replies, "I know it's bacon but what have you DONE to it?" and she says, "I boiled it."

I know it's tobacco but what have they DONE to it.

Pipe Used: corncob

Purchased From: Walgreen's

AmdisShikariBrone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmdisShikariBrone (5)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

What can I possibly say about this tobacco? Its better suited packed into a trash, not a pipe. The flavour is horrid and the feeling it leaves in your mouth is even worse, I attempted to smoke a bowl of it walking home from when I purchased it. I smoked about 1/4 of a bowl before I emptied my pipe and almost emptied the container along with it. I did however have some success mixing it one part to two parts prince albert original, it made the PA last longer without much flavour changing. It was an okay use for it but still not good.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Purchased From: Walgreens

mistermassive1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mistermassive1 (2)

Here is my 2012 review and I am not an all together experienced pipe smoker. That said I have sampled many of the brands you find in the midwest from grocery stores, drug stores and various places not including tobacco shops. I purchase these "big bag" tobaccos for the price. They are the cheapest you can buy locally but there are even better deals online

This tobacco for me is just a "mixer base". I like to add it to other tobaccos of finer distinction to make the more expensive brands last that much longer. If you read the other reviews you will know you need to dry it out for a few days. I have also tried a new trick where I soak a few ounces in whiskey and then let it air our for a few days. After about 3-4 days it is still damp and messy but the food dehydrator makes short work of that! You are left with a very nice tobacco with this labor and great for adding to a fine flake (mixed well by hand).

If you enjoy mixing tobaccos at home you will find this to be much fun to use along with the other flavors they offer.

Straight out of the bag is risky as it will gunk up a pipe and (for me at least) give you bite (tongue goes numb). I have puffed as gentle as I could and still the tobacco bites without drying and mixing.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like everyone else says, this tobacco needs to be dried out before smoking. Once dried, however, I found it a pleasant enough smoke for when I just wanted to smoke something sweet. Mixed 50/50 with BG's Rich Vanilla, and left to get acquainted for a few days, it makes for an even more pleasant smoke so long as that's what you're looking for.

If you enjoy playing mad scientist with tobaccos, as I do, it does make for a good black Cavendish base for mixing your own aromatic blends. And it accepts flavoring very well. Frankly, that's what I'm looking for in any straight Cavendish, and if I can get it for $1 an ounce rather than $5 an ounce so much the better.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As with other BG blends I have to dry it out in a baking pan for a few days before smoking. If you like a very sweet cavendish then you might like this. For my part, although I do enjoy other BG blends this one is only tolerable.

Lii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lii (4)

I missed my window and have to wait to go to my local tobacconist next week. I only have PA left in the garage (see my PA review). So I stopped by Walgreen's and bought this bag of 12oz. As soon as I dumped a bowl full out I thought well thats what I get for $9.99 this clump of rain Forest floor. I tried to light it then tried again and one more time. Hey a nice round glow in the middle of my cob! It stayed that way to the bottom. It smoked cool and tasted like custard. My middle kid came out and said "that smells like burnt marshmallows. I asked is that good or bad? She said "I don't know" he he. For the money it is way better than PA. I know, I heard everyone gasp at the blasphemy. I would rather be stuck on an island with this than PA. I cant wait to get the tobacconist so I can see what a "real" blend is like because this is good a little sweet but good. It lasts a half hour in a cob and burns even.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)

I didn't like it by itself. No real flavor. Mixed 2 parts Toasted Cavendish to 1 part Smokin Joes Black Cordial. After mix marrys, very pleasant smoke. Note: This bag was extremely moist. Really needs to dry out before smoking. Won't buy another bag of this stuff!