A rich blend of imported and domestic tobaccos. Smooth vanilla flavors. Long cavendish cut. Superbly aromatic with no bite, guaranteed mild and pleasing.

BrandBlender's Gold
1.9
BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Another Blender's Gold product rendered unsmokeable due to the insane amount of humectamt applied.

Master of Bag End Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Master of Bag End (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this as my first pipe tobacco when I first started smoking pipes. Mainly because it was so cheap at around $13-16 for it. When I first tried this tobacco, it was extremely wet. At the time though, I didn't know much about pipe smoking and smoked it like that. Talk about major tongue bite! As well as it having a type of ammonia like quality to it when retro-haling. And I don't know if it's just me, but it doesn't really taste much of vanilla. It is sweet overall which I don't mind too much but still tasted like tobak. So, I started pipe smoking at around 18-19 and I'm 21 now. And I've still yet to actually finish it all haha. Mainly cause I don't smoke very often. It was somewhat smokable after allowing it to dry almost a year and now, almost 2 it's a lot better. I still have half a tea tin left of it but by now, it's not too bad to smoke and is somewhat enjoyable. I'd recommend buying something different though. I'm just too cheap to throw away tobacco.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

I once had to buy this one before when I could not find the brand that I was looking for. Well when I got it home, I noticed how moist it was. It was almost like wet. When I tried lighting it, I had difficulty getting it to stay burning. All I can say is that it definately has a bad bite, and is very synthetic. It is very bad tobacco and I would never recommend it to anyone.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is brown burley ribbon. Natural Burley taste. Better flavor than some bulks I've paid $3.5 per ounce here in Cal.

The bad: There are others much better for the same price. I should have gone with the toasted cavendish. It looks black and like a real Cavendish.

Too much PG. Propolyne Glycol. Greasy to the touch when I pulled some out to dry. Must be dried. That took about one hour in the sun and I still get too much pipe goop.

Too bad they didn't use real vanilla or some good topping for this decent burley tobacco, but then it wouldn't be 1.16 per ounce would it?

But you know what;I'm smoking this. I put a wind cap on my pipe and smoke this very slowly and it's not bad. I'm going to try to find something that this mixes with.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)

Like they said. Right out of the bag, it is too wet and sticky to smoke. I expected that when I grabbed it at the Walgreens. I mean, come on. It costs barely over a dollar an ounce with tax, and it sells in drug stores. What did you expect?

It is ribbon cut. Not bad at all. I have found no stems. There was some powdered tobacco in the bag, but not excessive.

It does not look like it has been Cavendish processed, but I do detect a hint of Cavendish taste occasionally when I smoke it straight. (But I did toast it first. See below.) It is rather sweet, as one would expect. Does not bite.

The internet tells me that propylene glycol has a flash point of 232F. So... I spread it out on a cookie sheet and baked it at 275F for three minutes five times, after each time tossing it until it quit steaming. It is still a tad wet, but good enough. It will light and burn.

My intention was and remains not to smoke it straight, but to use it with other stuff to add just a little vanilla. A mixture of 4 parts Carter Hall, 1 part Blender's Gold Vanilla, 1 small part perique was not bad on first try.

Recommended with reservations.

Crazy Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crazy Dan (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Just like others who reviewed this. I thought it tasted like plastic. smoking the bag it came in may even be better that the tobacco itself. I am a very frugal(CHEAP) guy so I really wanted to like but, I can not force myself to smoke this stuff. It was very very wet and sticky. I thought if it were dryer it would be better. I spread it out on a cookie sheet lined with a couple layers of paper towels. I then put it in the oven on warm for about 30 min turned the oven off cracked the door of the oven open a little. Let it cool down to room temp. This helped but it was still wet. Back in the oven it went for a second time. It was better but still not dry. I tried another bowl and still it was a plastic flavor with no hint of vanilla flavor. Which I do not understand as it had a great scent threw the bag in the store. I will not buy this again.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

This tobacco turned out to be considerably better than I had expected. It was too moist, as others have said, but a couple of days in an open coffee can (giving it a shake whenever I passed) took care of that. It also filled the room with a very nice vanilla aroma. The vanilla flavor is natural, not overwhelming as I had feared. Also, it's not particularly sweet, another factor in its favor. The taste of tobacco is predominant with the vanilla still present. And the tobacco does taste good, a pleasant burley.

Oddly I did note a bit of astringency at the top of the bowl, something I've noticed in my own home-cased blends. (Not sure where that comes from but in my own blends it tapers off when cellared for a while.) That bite goes away after the first few puffs however, and then I can settle in to a long enjoyable smoke. The vanilla flavor predominates early in the bowl, gradually fading to the taste of burley alone. After the first few puffs it doesn't bite, but I do taste the burley for a few hours afterward (not necessarily a bad thing). The pipe does need cleaning afterward, but it has not left a ghost.

If you don't like vanilla you won't like this. But then you won't like anything else vanilla either. If you do like vanilla and you also like burleys, then you may find this to your liking as well.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)

Although I enjoy other blends by BG, I really don't care much for this one. It's the vanilla, not one of my favourite flavours and in this case is just a bit overdone for me. Drying it out for a few days helped somewhat but not much.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I wasn't too optimistic when I picked up a bag at my local Walgreen's, but never one to judge a book by it's cover I dug right in.

The humectamt is really overwhelming with this one, way too wet right out of the bag, and I ended up having to dry it in a paper towel by mooshing it with my hands before I would ever think of putting it in my pipe. It doesn't really smell like vanilla at all, it smells more like raisins. The vanilla flavoring is decent, though, and once I got past the fact that it burned hot and wet I decided to not throw it away (I hate wasting tobacco).

I have since dried it as much as I could in the open air and cellared it, hopefully the aging will help to round it out, although with the plethora of other things I could be smoking I'm not sure I'll be coming back to this one in this decade or the next. Somewhere, fifty years in the future, I doubt exactly what brand it was (and what it was like when I bought it) will make a difference.

If you want a semi-palatable drugstore tobacco and this is all that's around, go for it. If you have an option to smoke something else, though, I would implore you to. Save your money and your pipe.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

A humectamt slightly laced with tobacco and vanilla. Not quite enough tobacco used in the blend to suit me. Good plastic bag taste too.

EdifyGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EdifyGuy (1)

Well, I thought that at $13 and change for a big ol' bag, it just might be worth trying. I had reviewed some of the bulk-bag cheapo 'baccies, including this one, and came to the conclusion that some people like 'em, and some people don't. I also determined that of those cheapies, Blender's Gold was the least expensive, and possibly the least artificial.

Upon opening the bag, I was greeted with a much more natural-smelling weed than I anticipated. It was decidedly spiked with vanilla, but didn't smell especially artificial, and wasn't overwhelming: it still smelled like tobacco, not just a big bag of Easter Grass coated in fake vanilla sauce. It felt good, at about the right moisture level, and I was rather excited. Nothing about it said "expensive," but nothing screamed "fake!" either.

Still a bit skeptical, I loaded it into a cob. I mean, how good can it be for $1.10 an ounce? The char light, then a light tamp and a relight yielded an ember that stayed well. It was at the perfect moisture level to stay lit without puffing like a steam engine, and I found that indeed, this 'baccy is not a biter. The taste is not strongly of tobacco, but it's there, and the vanilla is very mellow, and dare I say it....rich! It isn't particularly artificial, either.

Overall, I'd have to say that people who like Captain Black (white) would probably like this, and I think it's actually a little better (less artificial), and for 1/3 of the price! Furthermore, I think that the humectants used (if any) are not overdone like some. I look forward to trying some of the other Blender's Gold blends. Golden Burley is next, as I very much like Burley.

=====================UPDATE=====================

I still haven't finished the bag. My wife and landlord won't let me smoke in the house, so I haven't have time to burn through this giant bag. I even gave a bunch to someone else who was more broke than I am and liked it a lot!

A few further thoughts: I love the flavor, but something in this can leave a burning sensation in my mouth when smoked in my cob. That pipe smokes very hot. I'll have to see what this does in a "real" pipe when I can find a chance. (I won't carry a nice briar in my pocket because I don't want to destroy it.) This isn't especially goopy, in my cob. A briar might be revealing, though...... But hey, this stuff make AWESOME roll-your-own cigarettes! That's actually what I gave some to someone else for. And those don't burn my mouth, either, which is why I'm inclined to blame that cob for the burn.....it does it with other baccies, too.

I'm no expert, but I think this is a burley-based blend, which is unusual, as most vanilla blends are black cavendish-based. I like that about it. It gives this blend a bit more tobacco character than, say, Captain Black White. Not that I hate the Cap'n, he's just not my style.

I see that any time someone writes a nice review of this stuff, (or any other discount tobacco, for that matter,) someone immediately feels the need to write a "terrible" review. Hey, it's cheap. If you only like designer blends, then don't buy cheap ones! Don't dump on those of us who appreciate a $1 hamburger as well as a $50 steak. No one would claim that this is a designer blend, or anything in the least bit fancy, or even great. It's just simple, cheap, no-nonsense tobacco for those who can appreciate it that way.

==============ANOTHER UPDATE==============

I STILL haven't finished the bag, for many of the same reasons, but I still like it. I have created a blend with this and Milan Tobacconist's "Black Forest" that is really good. Vanilla + Caramel = something very yummy that's too sweet to smoke all the time but very nice on occasion.

I did dry my bag out some by propping it open with a broken plastic spoon for awhile, and that definitely made it a nicer smoke. I look forward to trying out some of the other flavors in the line. "Golden Burley" is next.......

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this on a lark, was in the store buying some antibiotics after having a root canal today, and having never bought a Blenders Gold Blend before, had a sweet tooth and thought "what the heck". It was just over $12.00 for a large bag and I really thought it would be a cloying aromatic and thought I would try it and if it was bad just throw it away. but I was reallt surprised! It was actually very good. It was a ribbon cut, mostly burley blend with a vanilla topping. but it was very mild with no bite and a rich vanilla flavor. What really surprised me the most was it was not too wet, burned very well and left no goop in the bottom of my pipe. It burned all the way down without relights and had a great room note and a very good taste. Sometimes we are surprised. I am normally not a vanilla smoker but this was one of the best I have had in this gender. A great blend when among non smokers and one I will keep around for when I get a sweet tooth. Try it, it will surprise you. At least it did me.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I use this blend as a topper. Mix 2 parts Black Cavendish to 1 part Golden Cavendish. After mix marrys, I mix 4 parts with 1 part Blenders Gold Rich Vanilla. Very pleasant smoke. Many comment on pleasant aroma.