A soldier's favorite from the American Civil War. Virginia tobaccos and smooth black Cavendish are set with Colombian coffee beans and dark chocolate. The real thing for genuine coffee lovers.

BrandOld Virginia Tobacco Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Coffee
Packaging2oz Tin, Bulk
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (24)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I snagged one tin of this from OVT and have not seen it in stock again. Too bad, I rather enjoyed it. Upon opening the tin I caught the whiff of coffee and tobacco, plain and simple. I first tried it in a CG cob and it lit well and burned through. I found Gettysburg to be a delightful "Morning drive smoke," to be enjoyed while I am on my lengthy cruise into the office. I got the simple taste of Virginia tobacco and coffee but none of the "chocolate" of which others have talked about. It was definitely a morning taste and helped to get me ready for the day.

Pipe Used: CG cobs

Purchased From: OVT

ConfederatePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ConfederatePipe (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I bought several tins of the Civil War series from Old Virginia Tobacco Company. While I'm still fairly new to pipe smoking, Gettysburg is an enjoyable blend. It is a little moist in the tin and smells of strong coffee and dark cocoa. Burns extremely cool and is hard to get any bite. Flavor is of tobacco with a slight coffee taste on the back of the tongue. Stays lit well except for bottom being a little moist at end of smoke. Overall a good smoke for me.

Mr. Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Peterson (3)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I can recomend this to enyone who like a wel blended tobacco. The history behind the blend is also interesting. Smoking Gettysburg gives you the plesure of enjoying cavendish with virginia and thinking of the soldiers under the war who put coffee grounds into their tobacco pouches to 'stretch' their supply of tobacco. So enjoy this historical and good taste.

The Virginias are hay and citrus, the Black Cav sweet and toasty. They are both somewhat sublimated by the coffee and chocolate, especially the chocolate. It's the chocolate that gets in the way here. To my taste, it doesn't seem to fit in very well. I would like this much better if it were absent. Somewhat recommended for it's uniqueness.

Mild in body. Taste is mild to medium. Flavoring is also mild to medium. Burns fairly well with a few relights.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Purchased From: http://www.ovtc.com/index.html

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)

I was a little hesitant to try this at first because I couldn't smell the coffee at all and the toby smelled a little "funky"! Now I am glad I did try this. It's not often that I find a tobacco that I like, but this one is one of those precious few.

Tastes enough to tingle your senses, but not enough to bury the tobacco. Clean, easy and "honest".

Will upgrade this from my Occasional jar to my Regular jar! :D Too bad it isn't made anymore!

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is an easy smoking blend just made for a cob and a Fall afternoon. Heavily coffee-aromatic it has a pleasing coffee flavor and a room note that is wonderful. I am not a big aromatic smoker but Gettysburg, something of a novelty and now discontinued (but still in stock), is quite a lovely smoke.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I am not sure how long ago this was produced. I yanked this one from my "cellar" a few months ago to see if the taste matched th tin description... It did. I sure could taste coffee (very bitter), and the tobacco was, well, to be quite blunt, rank.

I sure am glad this is no longer made. I'd hate for a new pipesmoker to give it a whirl and be turned off to the hobby.