A soldier's favorite from the American Civil War. Virginia tobaccos and smooth black cavendish are set with Colombian coffee beans and dark chocolate. The real thing for genuine coffee lovers.

BrandOld Virginia Tobacco Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Coffee
Packaging2oz Tin, Bulk
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I snagged one tin of this from OVT and have not seen it in stock again. Too bad, I rather enjoyed it. Upon opening the tin I caught the whiff of coffee and tobacco, plain and simple. I first tried it in a CG cob and it lit well and burned through. I found Gettysburg to be a delightful "Morning drive smoke," to be enjoyed while I am on my lengthy cruise into the office. I got the simple taste of Virginia tobacco and coffee but none of the "chocolate" of which others have talked about. It was definitely a morning taste and helped to get me ready for the day. 5 Sep 17 I found a few more tins of this in stock this summer and grabbed them up for a trip to Minnesota/Wisconsin. During the drive up there I was able to spend some more time contemplating this blend. Virginias and coffee. To me the "chocolate" is a minor background, like mocha coffee with a strong coffee blend. Over all I find it enjoyable and stimulating without being a huge "nic hit."

Pipe Used: CG cobs

Purchased From: OVT

The Virginias are hay and citrus, the Black Cav sweet and toasty. They are both somewhat sublimated by the coffee and chocolate, especially the chocolate. It's the chocolate that gets in the way here. To my taste, it doesn't seem to fit in very well. I would like this much better if it were absent. Somewhat recommended for it's uniqueness.

Mild in body. Taste is mild to medium. Flavoring is also mild to medium. Burns fairly well with a few relights.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Purchased From: http://www.ovtc.com/index.html

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is an easy smoking blend just made for a cob and a Fall afternoon. Heavily coffee-aromatic it has a pleasing coffee flavor and a room note that is wonderful. I am not a big aromatic smoker but Gettysburg, something of a novelty and now discontinued (but still in stock), is quite a lovely smoke.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I am not sure how long ago this was produced. I yanked this one from my "cellar" a few months ago to see if the taste matched th tin description... It did. I sure could taste coffee (very bitter), and the tobacco was, well, to be quite blunt, rank.

I sure am glad this is no longer made. I'd hate for a new pipesmoker to give it a whirl and be turned off to the hobby.