A straight forward 100% Virginia, fine cut and light in color.

BrandW.D. & H.O. Wills

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)

McClelland Dark Navy Flake

Tin Note - McClelland scent

Appearance - dark brown almost black broken flake

Texture - Very dense, fairly moist

Packs well as most flakes. On my first bowl, I allowed no drying time which was a huge mistake. My mouth paid dearly for it. It comes way too moist. I microwaved the rest for 10 seconds after seeing the successful posts pertaining to it. The second attempt was much better. I was tasting a lot of sour notes mixed with general VA flavor. I still had to deal with a good amount of relighting. Perhaps another nuke will fix it. As it stands now, this is too much of a hassle to remain in my rotation. It isn't a bad tobacco by any means, I just like to smoke more than I like to prepare.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of those tobaccos that pops up occasionally so, when I paid a visit to my local tobacconist and saw this available, I thought I would give it a go.

The smell upon opening the pouch is a strange one, has quite a whiff to it, a mix of the very pleasant smell of cafe creme cigarillos and a dash of the disappointing aroma of cheap cigarettes. Packing and lighting are generally fine, there is a little dampness in here so the odd relight may be required but it's generally no problem. The flavour upon first lighting, though, is where it picks up. So long as it is supped rather than chugged, it gives a really nice buttery, creamy taste. Make sure to smoke slowly though otherwise it will develop a nasty, bitter taste. As the smoke progresses that creaminess does begin to fade and it's at this point it can get a bit funny. Sometimes in can change to something like a milder version of something like mellow virginia, taking on a nice leafy, oakiness, other times it can turn a little nasty and end up tasting like some cheap brand of cigarettes. It is also a disturbingly quick smoke, to concur with a previous reviewer, thirty minutes seems to be tops. The room note on this, however, is a pleasant one.

On the whole then, it can get a bit rough if smoked too quickly, can tail off towards the end and does, at times, give the hint of being padded out with cheap cigarette tobacco, but when it delivers, and does so quite often, it is very nice. For a nice, if mildly flawed and slightly neurotic, tobacco, three stars seems a fair judgement.

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As many have said, Tolkien's tobacco of choice. Being a Tolkien fan I wanted to try the author's fave leaf. However, as a fan of VA pipe tobacco, I also wanted a good leaf to smoke.

I bought a 50g pouch from my tobacconist for £11 and was met with a satisfying wad of light brown leaf.

Pouch note was hayish and sweet and there was a bit of moisture.

Packing was easy enough and as it is a VA I packed tighter. The taste was amazing. Sweet and summery and a buttery, creamy finish almost like sucking a butterscotch toffee. Half way down the bowl this changes to a sweet hay flavour but as has been mentioned, this is similar to Players navy cut but much smoother. It does burn quickly though although I tend to enjoy shorter smokes. It has a kick in the vitamin N dept but this is a smooth, cool and easy smoke best sipped and enjoyed with a cup of tea or a pale ale on a spring day in the sunshine. Only criticisms are the pouch as it is overflowing and leaking leaf (we need tins!)and a slightly underwhelming last furlong. That said, highly recommended and I would score a 90/100

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)

This is a very fine, unpretentious Virginia tobacco, available in the UK (as far as I know) only in 50 gm pouches. It comes in a shag cut (it isn't really ‘ready rubbed', as someone else has pointed out) – and this is a slight disadvantage if you want a really long smoke. It burns comparatively quickly, and it'll bite you if you puff too hard. If you pack it well and take it slowly, though, it'll reward you with a pleasant, fresh-tasting, undemanding smoke that will exactly suit the all-day smoker who doesn't want anything too strong, or too strong-flavoured. To put it another way: anyone who likes Player's Medium Navy Cut will like this. It reminds me a bit of an old, long-gone Player's tobacco called No Name. A mild, pleasant and civilised smoke with no gimmicks. Highly recommended to the Virginia lover.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)

Very pleasant, very simple and straightforward virginia tobacco. Quite full compared to many straight virginias, and burns cool and slow if you pack it right (quite firmly) and don't puff too hard. Like most virginias, "breath smoking" is the way to get the best out of this one.

The cut is a medium shag, not sure why they call it ready rubbed, as there is no sign that it was ever pressed. The colour is a nice chestnut brown, and the scent in the pouch is pleasant, hints of slightly fermented hay, very natural. Lights very easily and stays lit well, the flavour is very soft, pure simple virginia tobacco. I get hints of fresh hay, bready toasty flavours, and occasionally a surprising but unmistakeable hint of pale roast coffee.

Good tobacco for outdoors activities like gardening, it stays lit well and doesn't demand too much attention. You could smoke it all day, if you are an all-day pipesmoking kind of chap. Not too strong. The aroma is simple, rather like a good quality cigarette, but without the burning paper ruining the smell. Not too strong a scent, not all-pervasive as some "aromatics" can be, and much more natural.

The first pouch of this I bought had unfortunately gone mouldy, and smelt awful. I returned it to the address on the pouch, and was sent two fresh pouches and the stamps to cover my postage. Exemplary customer service from Imperial Tobacco.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This is a straight, mild and pure Virginia tobacco.

The cut is more shag than ribbon and it has a high humidity level, so I prefered to air it a bit. It packs very well and easy to light. Because of its shag cut properties it has a tendency to burn fast. This disadvantage can be fixed by a tight packing and slow puffing cadence, which also helped me to enjoy this tobacco much better.

It has a subtle Virginia flavor. The taste is cigarette like. It has also a nice dosage of nicotine. If you look for very tasty and sweet straight Virginia smoke this one can dissapoint you.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

As I know this is Tolkien's favorite tobacco... I want to test it ...Im scare about flovoring couse i dont like Mellow Virginia etc. But this blend its ok...

One problem its burn like a cigarette toboacco...In 30min your bowl is empty...

I like this tobacco but not too much...

Carrot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carrot (13)

I am very fond of good virginia tobacco and I've tired quite a few. Capstan ready rubbed is the strongest virginia tobacco I've come accross so far. It is not overwhelming but has an extra kick that I've found other virginias lack. This is not my everyday virginia but I smoke it when I want a bit more of a stronger smoke. I always have a pouch of this around for when I require it. If you are looking for a good virginia tobacco with a bit more punch this could be the one for you.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

I tried this again about a year and a half ago, I did not like it. Having read Christians review below, I had to go back and try it again and compare it with the flake version which I found to be almost identicle, but a little fuller.

The ribbon cut is a little fine for my liking, and as stated, could be used for RYO, although I've never seen it used for that here in England. Packed light to the bottom and tighter to the top, I was able to get a nice burn all the way down to the bottom with no dottle. As stated, this is just a good honest straight forward viginia, with absolutely no pretences, and I love it.

I can happily smoke this during the day and save my flake (which I also love) for the evening. I sincerely hope this ages well, I have no reason to think otherwise, as I have a few pounds of the flake carefully gathering dust. As for the pouch Ready Rubbed, I'm a little unsure, unless of course it's jarred.

Other than this, I can add nothing to Christians fine review except of course my thanks, for prompting me to go back and try it one more time.

Just bought another 250g by the way.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

this is the british version of capstan ready rubbed as opposed to the danish version.

it's ribbon cut bordering on shag, and is probably used by many for ryo (for which it serves very well). smells good, of winey fermented hay, plus in the background, a flavouring i can't figure out.

esay to load, easy to fire up, easy to keep lit, except that it burns a litlle wet towards the bottom. it does, of course, burn a tad fast if not packed rather firmly.

the taste is pure and simple well aged virginia, though the strength makes me suspect some burley. i don't notice the flavouring. there's no real development in the taste during the smoke, just - a nice uncomplicated smoke... the room note is reminiscent of a fine cigarette. a very honest tobacco which i'd smoke a lot more if it were available in flake form, and i like to have a small stash ready at any time.

the honesty and apparent purity of this blend makes me think that it will age very well, and i'll soon have to jar a pound of it. besides, you never know when the next old fashioned blend will be discontinued.