Double broad cut light and dark Virginias, Old Belt plug, Macedonia, and Latakia make this characteristic medium Scottish mixture cool and slow burning with flavor.

BrandChonowitsch
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

First T15, now T17. You think you'd died and gone to pipesmoker's heaven. These blends have been flying under the radar for years, according to the date of Pipestud's review. My guess is that they are produced in very limited quantities and therefore the manufacturer and distributors don't want us to clamor for these when there are others available in greater quantities. Why didn't I find these years ago. And I was considering putting away my pipes for good. Forget it! This tobacco needs to be bone dry in order to enjoy the faboulous taste and nuances.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Finally a Kohlhase & Kopp mixture that tastes different from the usual ( they make Banker's, Comoy's, Robert Lewis and they're all the same)! Maybe because this isn't a reissue of an historical tobacco...The cut is REALLY broad, with Virginia leaves the size of a blanket; you better tear them in smaller pieces to harmonize the size with that of the other tobaccos. The moisture was perfect to smoke upon opening the tin. The first impression is that of an overall sweetness at the smell, and this impression lasts after having lit but the sweetness is unobtrusive, pleasant. The second part of the bowl is the better one, when the slightly acrid oriental leaf counterbalances the sweetness: I personally would have tried to add a little more Latakia to suit my taste, but the blend is nicely balanced however. The sense is of a general mildness and tranquillity, a mixture that can suit every moment of the day without becoming too invasive to the palate, burning well and dry. Just pay attention at smoking it slowly: it can bite if rushed, due to the high percentage of the Virginia leaf, but it never becomes bitter.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

- One reviewer said Gingerbread, yes, nice room note, very mild but with a nice flavor, a good change of pace from heavy Latakia blends. Nice when snorked, it gives that Oriental forward. I know I've tasted a similar blend before, maybe Dunhill's London Blend, but milder, it has that "split oak" flavor, or "pencil shavings" flavor!. Really not a big blast of flavor, I think this is one I could get hot and ashy if I wasn't paying close attention, but when sipped and savored and not pushed, it's nice. Not a lot of billowing smoke, I always feel like it's going out. I could give this 4 stars if it had a little more body and strength, but it is nice. Not as flavorful as LB, no kick. Mindless puffing gets you a mediocre smoke, like sucking hot air and 2 stars . Ok, we are between 2 and 4 stars , I'll give it a generous 3 stars, just don't expect to get anything if you're a northern winter smoker running outside to catch a few puffs, it needs to be savored!

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Similar Blends: A mild Dunhill's London Blend.

spyrusthevirus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spyrusthevirus (2)

This was the first latakia blend I tried, when I had no idea how it tasted. Now, with some blends under my belt, most of them english, I'm here to review and recommend this blend to every pipe smoker!

Smell is strong and smoky. smoky smoky smoky. At first I though "bacon" but then a friend offered a better term: "BBQ sauce". And he was damn right. Best thing? it's wonderful. Taste is full and complicated. There is smething that reminds me of an old, dusty coat, then some vinegar-ish tops, then bacon (the smoky part of it). Almost every time I smoked this blend I would just discover a new taste hanging around there, waiting for you to look for it. There are large pieces of not well cut tobacco. I didnt feel any difference when smoking them whole or torn. Smokes reasonably cool, not much need for relights, can usually be smoked till the end of the bowl and if you don't abuse your pipe (ie, smoke 3 bowls of this without rest) it leaves it remarcably smell-less.

I don't know about you, I'm sure as hell stocking this one.

Vladlon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vladlon (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Remarkable blend!!!.....tasty,well balanced,without taste changes due to smoking till the end of the bowl.....every smoker must try...and after that must have

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The aroma of dark plug tobacco hovers behind the ghost of Virginia tobaccos - subdued and mellow. More sniffing bring out caramel, chocolate, red wine, gingerbread, wet leaves and birch bark. Noticeable sweetness seems to come from the casing rather than the Virginia. (Typical light, sweet Danish casing.) Danish blends usually bite my tongue - due to the casings they put on everything - but we'll see.

Interesting cut - very coarse. Fairly easy to pack. Burns well.

Smoke begins with dusty tobacco flavors, Virginia tastes toasted and mature. Peppery, slightly sweet, faint pine flavor, more dusty notes (reminiscent of raking dry autumn leaves). Casing brings caramel and raisins - in subtle small doses. More dry, dusty moments, like a tobacco barn in November. Pleasant, but comes across kind of dull. Drop the sweet Dutch casing, and pump up the Virginia and Oriental mix, and then You'd really have something. (Not that much like a Scottish Mixture to me, but too bland and cased to tell what the blend was meant to be.)

As I said, quite pleasant. Not bad but not exciting. Nice smoke for busy times when you aren't paying that much attention to your smoking. Smokes well but I doubt it will be a regular smoke for me. Doesn't bite as much as I feared.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

I've just started to smoke this blend & find it remarkable. The blend description, Double broadcut light and dark Virginias, Old Belt plug, Macedonia and Latakia. Cool and slow burning Scottish mixture with full flavor, got my attention but really didn't prepare me for the sublime presence & smoke of this fine Tobak. The tin note is muted scents of Autumn, and the tobaccos are just as colorful. It lights easily and burns with little effort. You can almost dare it to bite, but instead find subtle note of the blend components step forward in gentle harmony, that still allows for the occasional center stage presentation of each, owing to the wild cut. Smooth as Blues slide guitar, it weaves a tapestry of flavors that are mellow but not timid. Be glad that this one's still around.

A very pleasant surprise!

Appearance and tin aroma: mostly darker leaf with some mohagany and lighter leaf interspersed. Broadcut ribbon. Smells very fragrant with a slight "honey" topping noticable too.

Packing and lighting: Moisture is perfect out of the tin. Packs easily even though the ribbons are broad. Works better in big pipes. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: When I think of a Scottish mixture, this is it! Not too sweet and heavily cased like the MacBaren offerings, not too full and cloying like 965. Not too light, like Old Dublin. You get the point?

Mid-Bowl: Nirvana, this blend gets into the "zone" with all the leaves balanced properly, with a nice room note to boot!

Bottom of Bowl: Finishes with a slight increase in strength, dry, no bitterness. Let's reload!

Overall: I really enjoyed T-16 and really had no expectation for this blend. In fact, I was expecting to be disappointed. This blend has filled a void in my overall rotation. It has replaced MacBaren's Scottish Mixture Flake. I really liked the perfect mix of leaf and slight casing and its overall smoothness. For those times I want something sweet, but not overly, T-17 will be the one. Try it, you'll like it!

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend have a nice tin note. Slightly fruity scents with smokey and herbs flavor. The color is black and dark brown with coarse cuts and the moisture level is good. Easy to pack and fit in almost all my pipes.

With a good moisture level, the tobacco is easy to light, I'm packing with usual 3 layer packing method. Just give a nice cherring light, little bit tamp, relight again, and then I can start a long time smoking because is not difficult to keep the light on. Burnt slowly and relative cool at my Ben Wade Standard 275 Barrel Poker.

The taste is quite mild, not strong. The smokey taste is very slight and mellow and just a little slight spiciness, and that also almost not detected. At the half of the bowl, oriental little bit dominant, pine and slight herbal taste detected and stick on my palate without loosing the sweetness. I think this English blend is dominated with virginia at larger portion. During the smoking time, virginia is the most dominant taste of this blend.

I'm not dissappointed with this blend and quite like it. For those who loves a mellow mild english I really recommend this blend. I think this blend is a good starter for those who wants to try English blends without getting any overwhalming smokey taste of Latakia or strong herbal taste of Orientals.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Standard 275