Syrian Latakia, Smyrna and several Virginia varieties are blended and long matured for a typically natural English mixture, with full body, classic fragrance, but mild taste.

BrandChonowitsch
2.9
Stagr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stagr (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought T16 from Germany. The tin does not write on the description "Latakia" instead it writes black cavendish, Virginia and perique. The scent brings to mind coqnaq when you open the tin, the scent is mild and discreet. It's cut makes it easy to fill the pipe even for an amateur, burns very well and dry, it keeps it's scent up to the 3/4 of the bowl. It does not leave much dirt to the pipe. It has a characteristic aroma that someone will love or hate. My personal opinion (if it matters) I liked it a lot and will buy it again. Please excuse my writing because I am not a native speaker. Thank you for reading.

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)

N.B. The composition of T16 as stated on the bottom of the tin: "Hergestellt aus kostbarem Black Cavendish, Virginia und Perique". No latakia or orientals whatsoever. This is also true of the vinegary bouquet and the smoked product itself. As such, it is an interesting experiment in the field of neo-vapers. Again, a meerschaum pipe is to be preferred for capturing the fresh notes at the end of a rim-filled bowl, unlike no other tobacco. Sweet sixteen or an enigma? I can't make up my mind.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a mildy flavored English Mixture based on Virginias and Orientals, with Latakia on a secondary role. There's a slight dominance of bright over dark Virginias and the Izmir is well noticed throughout the bowl. I'm not sure about the topping, it tastes like nothing I've smoked before, and it's subtle enough to make this mixture more of a unique English than an "American English".

Not an all-day smoke, but certainly something to enjoy every few days.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

The tin description is interesting. Traditional English Mixture with Syrian Latakia, Smyrna and Virginia varieties, long matured. Full Body, classic aroma. It is wet and displays a melange of color as a background to a tin note that reminds me of Sacrament Wine. After letting a bowl's worth dry for awhile, I lit it up, without difficulty and started to enjoy the Smyrna's moderation of the Bright Virginia leaf that's mixed in with darker Virginia. I'm thinking that this tin note, which does not really influence the smoke, is the result of fermentation of Virginia leaf, that has not been pressed into cakes, but instead allowed to age in this ribbon cut. It's an earthy, reflective smoking experience of sweet character, that has no bite or regrets. Surreal in it's light hearted character, the component contributions weave in and out like fleeting images in a rippling pond. This one's worth investigating further as it does not disappoint. Good tobacco produces good blends. The Syrian presence is just enough to provide occasional counterpoint, but is not a central figure in this act.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The only German-blended tobacco that I have tried in the past, to my memory, were a trio from Robert McConnell. I have not reviewed them, but they were Pure Havana, Black & Gold, and Oriental. They all were dreadful, but the latter is probably the worst pipe tobacco that I have ever smoked. I do not think that I have smoked another German pipe tobacco until T 16. (I also recently purchased a few Robert Lewis tins and a tin from Fribourg & Treyer. I some point I will review all of those, no doubt, but this review is about Jess Chonowitsch's T 16.) The tins states that is it a 'Product of England', but this weed is made in Germany. It is another disappointment from the DE. With that said, this is not without some decent qualities. In the tin, the odour is rather inviting and reminds me of honey; it may have a mild topping. This is a good-looking Virginia-base tobacco with a sprinkling (very little) of Latakia. If you like Virginia-base tobaccos this might be something to try (even if the weed tastes utterly cheap). I am more of a Latakia fan so, as-such, I cannot recommend this fully--it is very expensive and finishes very harsh (odd for a generally mild tobacco). Indeed, it is a shame that T 16 is not more flavourful and the aforementioned harshness is a bloody letdown. One can buy two tins of something far superior for the price of this enttäuschende vergeudung. Let it pass.

12-04-2004 A beautiful English blend!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: This blend is beautiful to look at! There are reds, yellows, browns, and a few dark smidgins of Syrian Latakia. The tin aroma is musty and pungent like a good English should be.

Packing and Lighting: After letting the tin breath, it packed easily and lit with 2-3 lights.

Initial Flavor: The VA's are dominant but taste delicious. The red VA leaf in this is particularly noticable, a good thing.

Mid-Bowl: This blend is a delicious English, it reminds me of Renn., BlkPnt., Solani Gold, with the exception that the Orientals and Latakia are a little more in the background.

Bottom of Bowl: A nice build up of strength, the smokiness of the Syrian comes out at this point and blends well with the sweetnes of the VA.

Overall: This is a very nice English that is up there in quality and taste with some of the offerings by Pease, Esoterica, Solani, etc.. While not a daily smoke for me, I do thoroughly enjoy it when I do. The VA component is particularly delicious in this blend and for that alone, lends itself to ageing. Don't expect a high Latakia content in this as the Syrian, while detectable, is here for support only.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 points, enjoy....

jesse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jesse (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This is a very impressive-tasting English! I am quite taken with it of late, and my tin's now gone. It's a very classy and sophisticed blend, of medium strength with a full body and complicated flavors. More elegant and sophisticated than most, and I suspect that English-loving palletes will almost certainly not fail to appreciate it.

As with anything, it may not be to everybody's taste. Non-smokers tend to dislike the room-note, though to me it smells like "an English".

This blend doesn't make me want to burst into applause, but I think that "classy" sums it up and would recommend it to anyone who likes English-style mixtures.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

''??.” suggested this tobacco to me. I don't know why, but I was hesitant with this series of tobacco. Virginia, Oriental and some Latakia in a secondary role form a sweet mixture, easy to smoke, with a very special aroma coming out of a newly opened tin, probably formed by the Smyrna. Something that immediately caught my attention is that it does not light up easily. It takes 3-4 efforts at first, but then it provides you with taste and aroma up until the ¾ of the bowl. It smokes dry right up until the end, but it gets quite heavy and does not maintain its flavor. I would buy it again, as I really liked this odd aroma that arose once I opened the tin. It wasn't the classic Latakia scent

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This is a lovely blend for virginia lovers who want a little something extra with their virginias. The oriental and latakia are used very sparingly in this very mellow mixture. Several quality virginias provide a very nuanced and balanced taste. The light sweetener is not overdone and adds a wonderful addition to the overall composition. This is a blend that can be smoked all day without requiring much attention. There is no harshness whatsoever and T16 burns to an attractive white ash and burns evenly throughout the bowl. I lack an appreciation for predominately virginia mixtures and my rating reflects that.