Classic Burley Kake is a new blend that pays homage to old-time Burley flakes and cakes. Using Tennessee and Kentucky Burleys, ranging from lighter white to darker mahogany, and a bit of matured red Virginia, this sliced cake tobacco is a traditional American-style blend. We start with four different types of Burley, the aforementioned Tennessee and Kentucky, plus two different premium white Burleys. Then we add a red Virginia for a maple-like sweetness. Then we use all-natural flavors- cocoa, rum and anise and steam the tobaccos with the flavorings and firmly press and slice it. The aroma is mellow and pleasant, and the taste is lightly sweet with a large volume of smoke. Hearken back to a simpler time when the sight of a pipe in someone's mouth while walking down the street was common, and the scent of pipe tobacco was everywhere.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It's a little stronger than your average burley blend. Lots of sweetness from the red Virginia, with flavors ranging from nuts to rum, anise and maple, to a deep cocoa. The white burleys add a mild sharpness to the mix, contrasting the sweetness from the other burleys, though all the burleys are downplayed a little because of the toppings, and some PG. The cake easily breaks apart and may need a little drying time. I found the cocoa to be overwhelming in a meer, but not so much in a cob or briar. A great morning delight with tea or coffee, it also makes a good smoke before bedtime, and I would not consider this to be an all day guest for your pipes.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (26)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells good enough to eat in the bag, so a very pleasant tin note. Physical quality of the tobaccos is OK but there are a few woody stemy bits hiding in the kake. Lights easily and immediately delivers a sweet wow in the form of a simple pancake syrup sweetness. Mid bowl a hint of chocolate is noticeable. Towards the last third of the bowl I can taste a sweet liquor taste, especially if I draw the smoke under my tongue. Although this is an aromatic, I think you can get away with smoking it in a pipe used for burleys and virginias; Old Gowrie leaves the pipe smelling sweeter than this stuff. This is a mild to medium strength tobacco and may only be mild. I think H&H deserves a compliment because of how well the complex flavorings are carried out here. If I were rating the quality of the tobaccos alone, I could never give CB Kake four stars, but for the flavor experience I feel it deserves four. I recommend smoking this kake in a larger pipe so that you have time to enjoy the nuances. Also, if you're wanting some N you'll need to smoke a big bowl of it. If there was ever a tobacco made to go with Coke or Pepsi, this would be the one. Finally, if H&H could improve their burley and make some stronger tobacco I'd love this stuff.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Egg COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: given as a gift

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

H/H Burley Kake… When I popped open my fresh new tin of this blend, I was surprised to find a tin full of mostly rubbed out tobacco, a few sliced flakes of various sizes, with a fluffy texture that reminded me of lint. I couldn’t wait to try a bowl.

The moisture level felt about right, so I stuffed my pipe and gave it a try. What I found was a cloying and annoyingly hard to keep lit smoke, not at all what others described on this site, certainly IMO not a 3 or 4 star blend. So I did the obvious, I removed the lid and let it air out overnight. Doing so did the trick as far as I’m concerned, the aromatics dropped down and the harshness turned into a smooth tasty smoke. Just as advertised, it was now a lightly aromatic OTC America type burley plus blend that I was hoping for. Cooler burning, bit free, satisfying and a typical OTC blend burn. I can see myself buying this product again, only next time in a larger quantity.

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (12)

Smoked same batch a number of times over the course of 3 years. When fresh, it was sweeter and really more of an aromatic. Now that it has aged, the aro sweetness is still there, but it seems to take more of a back seat, allowing the burleys to emerge a bit more from the faded casing with their own bold statement. A welcome development in my opinion. Stays lit, good mouth, thick smoke, good body, no burley bite, complex and interesting due to mix of different types of burleys and the punch of the burley backbone. Mild-medium nicotine. The listed flavorings make sense to me, but my blindfold test of the aged tobacco yielded a burley dominant mustiness that included a faded nutty-scorched-windmill-almond-cookie undertone. The body and boldness reminds me of why I love good burley tobacco. Smoked in corn cob, which I recommend for this particular blend (and most burleys). 3 stars fresh, 4 stars aged.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

If you like burley blends, I would give this a try. The Virginia is a light touch. The Kentucky gives it a little more strength and flavor than the average burley blend. I like this enough to have pipe dedicated to it, and I enjoy it. I do not like it enough to smoke it every day when I have other options.

There is a whiff or rum or something, but it is really tobacco flavored. The taste is not what I would call delicate or nuanced. It is a basic smoke that satisfies.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely delicious, right now my #1 favorite Burley. I'm smoking lots of Burley these days and this tops them all. Smooth, full flavored, slightly sweet, with that full round, nutty, cereal, classic Burley flavor. Pressed into fragrant chunks that crumble easily CBK has the perfect moisture content. It packs and lights up and continues to burn easily. I'm happily puffing away on it now. CBK seems to work out well in any pipe from a 9mm filtered Design Berlin to a unfiltered Stanwell to the old funky Magic Inch I'm smoking as I write this. The flavorings are mild and harmonize with the delicious blend of tobaccos. I wouldn't call this an aromatic. You can merrily puff away without fear of any tongue bite. If you love Burley don't pass this up. Highly recommended.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

From the moment I opened this bag I knew I had a winner. Got it as part of a sampler from pipesandcigars.com as I was looking for something more cost effective than Wessex Burley Slices.

The bag aroma is a nutty high quality burley smell with cocoa and a hint of something else in the background. This is not low quality cocoa but more like Ghiardelli Cocoa. Very rich and full on the nose.

Packing was easy as my kakes had broken into a ready rubbed in the bag. Took a char and light immediately and decended into smoking bliss. The flavouring is not overpowering but lingers on the nose and in the room note. Definately cocoa with perhaps anise and unmistakable good quality burley. The bowl burned down with little tamping and only 1 relight and the flavour remained consistant until the final 1/3 when the burley dominated.

Room Note was like freshly ground coffee... even hours later it left a faint coffee/cocoa smell.

Overall this is a winner, far better than what Wessex is offering at a fraction of the price. Is it Egdgeworth? I think the flavour is close, but I can't say for sure since it's been years that I tasted Egdgeworth.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

When I see blender's notes that use words or phrases like "old-timey", "your grandfather's blend", "main street aroma" and the like my brain has my eyes read "OTC, drugstore, toothless, hacking wheezer." Moreover, I don't know if my grandfathers smoked but, if they did, it was a De Nobili root from the old country. So, enough sociology and on to this most pleasant of surprises. Coming from this smoker who's neither an aro nor a burley fan, I liked my 1-ounce sample enough to order 2 (I think) 8-ounce tins. Despite the list of strong-willed flavorings, I tasted more of a note of natural sweetness and flavor, much akin to H&H's Louisiana Red and Anniversary Kake. More like a tasty tobacco that was given a little spray prior to aging, pressing and curing. Whatever the process, the result is so natural that even non-aro fans (me) have no great leap of faith to make in order to enjoy this tobacco. Breaks easily, packs well, lights and smokes very well and evenly (a bit of airing as noted by others may be required based on your pipe's bowl shape and your own individual puffing pace) and gets richer in taste rather than deteriorating as you smoke your way down the bowl. Nice balance of the 3 component tobaccos, accentuating each others' better attributes while masking any lesser characteristics. It's one of a few tobaccos that I have on hand that I reach for and smoke while thinking about what I want to smoke -- stupid, right? Reminds me of John Lennon saying that life is what happens to us while we're busy making plans. So, go make some plans and remember to have a bowl of this cooking while you're doing so. Nice smoke.

Pipe Used: Billiards and Dublins (Peterson and Savinelli)

Age When Smoked: one year

Similar Blends: In a funny way, this makes me think of all the Froggies..

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Overall, I really like this blend. I received a generous sample from a forum friend that I just recently finished. It is a very sweet burley blend. While I don't doubt that a lot of that sweetness is due to the Virginia, I think there may be some sugary topping to it that helps accentuate the natural nuttiness of the burleys.

So sweet in fact, that I may refer to this as an aromatic as it is close to my pallete. A little like BLWB, but better. I don't think I can give it four stars, but can easily give it three as it will not be a waste of your time or money. Just a good smoke, that could border on boring.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a friendly all-day easy-going kind of smoke. I know this was modeled in the tradition of some of the American favorites, but I haven't smoked a single one that tastes as good as this. Me and burley are usually a bad mix. Typically, a couple blends aside, it really does my tongue a harsh disservice. Classic Burley Kake is one of the rare exceptions. As long as I take it slow I find that I can keep the bad chemistry at bay and amazingly this blend will give me ample fair warning to slow down.

For me it's best enjoyed after popping the tin, putting the lid back on and letting it sit in my tobacco cabinet for a month or so. At that point I jar it up and gradually work my way through the jar. The tin note is down right funky. To me it smells like Pla-Doh. But who cares. When lit I get a soft, slightly-sweet and extremely mellow smoke. The room note is terrific. It's got that perfect quintessential "pipey" aroma. The flavor is a straight ahead affair with no curves, turns or big surprises. As far as nuances go, every so often and mostly when I smoke it in my garage I get a slight taste of the rum and cocoa casing, but aside from that it smokes cool, sweet and nutty. I have smoked this in a number of pipes and it leaves each one smelling nice. However, I find it tastes best in a large wide bowl model.

Sometimes a simple dependable blend is all one needs. Classic Burley Kake fills that role perfectly. It also pairs nicely with tea, coffee or a good pint of ale.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (17)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you love heavily syrup laden, chemical drenched aromatics you will not enjoy this blend. This is of the old school aromatic persuasion, ever so subtle. I do catch the rum and cocoa, anise not so much, but then again that's not the point of this tobacco. The flavorings are just to making it a little interesting. Burley is naturally nutty (and a little bitter) but the small amount of VA sweetens it up just a little and the flavorings cancel out the bitterness and add a little something extra. Really a nice tobacco. In my opinion what an aromatic should be.

NotMyName Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NotMyName (1)

I have not noticed any hints of cocoa or anise. This is really a basic burley blend. It is nutty and warm with a nice room note and some sweetness on the tongue. Overall I find this blend a bit dull.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (7)

Got this one by mistake, am glad I did! Good flavor and aroma from the time you open it through the last puff. Reviews are all over the board, but I guess that is why there are so many blends! For my part it is a great all day tobacco. No bite here, I guess I am kinda partial to burley tobacco being from central Kentucky.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

Another one of my go to blends. If you get this stuff fresh the anise is extremely overpowering. If you let this stuff breathe for a week or so it mellows way out and becomes a excellent smoke. This is not your typical goupy aromatic. The flavor is tobacco forward with hints of cocoa and anise to complement the quality leaf. Burns very cool with consistent flavor from top to bottom with no goupy residue at all. CBK also pairs excellent with a strong cup of coffee.

Great job on this one Russ!!!

This is a unique burley aromatic that although described as a kake, I found it to be loose and "rubbed out" by the time it made it to my door step. The anise flavoring is quite apparent and perhaps a bit too overpowering when fresh. Some age and air tends to mellow that a bit as with most aromatics. Burns clean and has a pleasant, sweet taste. Best smoked after about a year in the humidor to calm it down. The Virginia in the blend does add a bit of an unnecessary bite to it.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant

Classic Burley Kake was on the market for a while before I ordered a sample. This is unusual for me as I am a confirmed burley-phile and would normally ordered soome a lot sooner but I had several other blends to try and had to smoke them first. I finally ordered my 4 oz. after it had been on the market about a year and these are my opinions.

CBK is a good looking tobacco in the pouch with a nice medium brown color and comes as a broken flake, although it is advertised as a flake. It has a very nice aroma in the jar, too. As with most broken flakes, I gave it a quick one second spin in my old coffee grinder that is reserved for this purpose. For most of this test I used an old favorite burley pipe, a Savinelli Bing's Favorite that seems to love burley blends

CBK lights easily and often doesn't need a charring light. It burns slow and cool, which is really nice because Bing's Favorites tend to burn hot because their walls are thin. CBK also needs a minimum of relights. The taste is that of chocolate mixed with a very mild burley nuttiness. I love the taste and my wife loves the room aroma, which she says reminds her of chocolate (she is a chocoholic). I REALLY like this tobacco!!

Scores for CBK?: flavor- 18 of 20, lighting and burn- 9 of 10, value- 9 of 10. That gives Classic Burley Kake an outstanding score of 36, for a high ** review. This is the highest score I've ever given a tobacco and a lb. of CBK will always be in my cellar.

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (5)

This is my everyday all the time tobacco. The room note reminds me of somewhere warm and pleasant, very comforting.

The tin note is Plum, Prune, Raisin, and chocolate (very subtle) and lights up like a dream! The tobacco comes fairly moist, but smokes cool, and like a well dried and aged tobacco! The crumble cake is like a moist brownie ready to eat....(tried it, not very tasty)

Smoking this blend has put all other blends on hold for me, nothing in my collection quite stands up to this one! I have smoked it every day 3-4x a day now for about a week and have yet to desire something else. Balkan blends taste strange to me now, and VAPER doesnt cut it for me either.

Burley Kake is here to stay, and my god I LOVE IT!

KINGCOLE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KINGCOLE (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The discription on the website left off any mention of added flavorings. I am not a fan of aromatics, so I was initially disappointed with this blend. I used to love Edgeworth Sliced and I was hoping for a substitute less pricey than Solani's wonderful aged burley flake. This is nothing like Edgeworth at all. That said, I do appreciate this blend for what it is - - a rich, smooth, cool-smoking aromatic with respectable nicotine strength and no bite. The flavorings do tend to steamroll over the burley flavor, but they are pleasing nonetheless and the virginia does express itself fairly well. For me, this blend is a diversion that reminds me that not all aromatics are atrocious.

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I consider this one of the best aromatics in the market. I purchased 2oz of this over a year ago and I've smoked it off and on in various pipes. Initially, I was very pleased with this tobacco and smoked it in a large Winslow tomato and a meer. In retrospect, the Winslow presented a good but somewhat muted flavor and the meer was, of course, very bright but also "dried out" the flavor in a manner of speaking. I recently picked up an estate Ser Jacopo Hawksbill and just last night tried CBK in that. SHAZAM! What a huge difference the right pipe can make. Where the meer was bright and kinda dry the Ser Jacopo brought out the multiple deep rich flavors this tobacco offers, the low basso profundo notes, if you will. One of the earlier reviewers commented that briar caused the flavors to vanish. It just goes to show how briar pipes present such varied results--a crap shoot really. If a new tobacco doesn't impress me in a particular pipe I've learned to rotate it through several of my better pipes to give it a fair shake. I've made some wonderful discoveries in doing this and I've rediscoved Russ's CBK with a new pipe. I'd also like to point out the longevity of this aromatic tobacco as mine is over a year old and has held its flavor thus far. I can't say this about all the flavored tobaccos I've come accross and it points to quality natural ingrediants in the blend. Last night my wife said it smelled like brownies or cookies were baking in the oven. Not a bad comment.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A great aromatic with a rich burley base flavor. I recently purchased an 8 oz. tin and have worked my way through most of it. Will definitely order more for the winter as it makes a great cooler weather smoke. Refuses to bite even when pushed very hard outside. A winner and a must try for burley fans.

SSG P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SSG P (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoy this blend. I ordered a couple of ounces of it along with a new pipe from pipesandcigars.com. I used it to break in the new pipe, & I grew very fond of it quickly.

Later on, I found a bag of this I'd stashed away, & tried it in my 1948 peterson dublin. WOW, huge difference! I immediately tasted flavors MUCH more pronounced than when I'd previously smoked it. Lots of sweet vanilla, almost a caramel, a subdued almost savory prune, very nice. It had a tendancy to bite if pushed too hard, but when barely sipped, it behaves wonderfully, & smokes like a champ.

I have had MANY compliments from co-workers & passerby when smoking this, many remarking that it smelled like a desert in the oven.

When smoked with a slow cadence, the flavor of the burley really shines through, like a good old school OTC blend.

I highly recommend this smoke. And for those with the negative reviews, I suggest trying a different pipe, it made a world of difference for me.

Terrible stuff. wouldn't call this tobacco. Sickening Vanilla cased burley. Threw this out after biting me bad. Oh , wife likes the smell , wouldn't you know!

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

This one took me awhile, not being a pure burley smoker at first , but now I Stock up on this and other "quality" burley bacci (Solani Aged Burley Flake, can't wait to smoke it based on reviews here as well) for sure. Being somewhat new to pipe smoking, I'm finding it to be an art and science to smoking a pipe....not just fold/stuff and puff ;-) everything must be right (tobacco being correct moisture level, correct pipe for specific tobacco, smoking method, time of day, mood of smoker, etc the list goes on and on...but MAN when it is all in check WOW, I'm honored to be a pipe-smoker...when it is not, it means more work is needed on my part....so enough babble and on to my reviewof CBK

CBK reviewing an 8oz tin, came in broken kake, moisture was high on first tin- pop, casing super strong, hard to keep it burnig and overpowered by casings which I don't like in my bacci ( I like the Med-full English as well as our Vs and Vaps)...now with that said I put out a few pipe fulls for a 24hr dry time..after that this stuff is GREAT, smoked it in a big rusticated Boswell OPaul, just gravity-fill pipe with a light tamp....and off you will go.... pure bliss is given from this stuff, nice toasted nut flavors along with deep dark and rich chocolate flavors...all I hear from quality burley and LONG finish...Mmm-mmm-Mmm....

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)

Took a while for me to review this because I wanted to do it justice. This stuff is good. Reminds me of BLWB with more flavor. Has a very nice sweet mild taste,somewhat past PA and before CH. I think of PA as jean coveralls,CH as jeans, and this as burley with a sportcoat and open shirt or turtleneck. No goop,no bite, burns clean and dry. I shake it up in a gallon Ball jar and sift it on paper through my fingers so it is rubbed out. Packing it with a light hand with some pressure at the top works excellently for me. Has a nice creamy taste that goes well wih green tea,my only drink of choice. This is one of those chameleon blends that taste good in briar,cobs,and meers. Good for soothation (Funn Dictionary) of the mouth tongue after all day smoking. A definite slipper blend.Recommended for whatever you smoke. I smoke everything so this fits in extremely well. It is flavored but not to the extent of BCA or Black Cordial.

WSBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WSBlevins (3)

Upon opening the bag, I found the flavoring to be a bit heavy handed and the tobacco a bit too moist. I recommend upon purchasing this tobacco to place it in a non-air tight tobacco jar/humidor and allow it to dry for several days. The result is a perfect moistness level and a smooth flavorful smoke that will be bite free.

Upon lighting, you will notice a musty aroma that really takes you back in time to the days of your grandfather. The flavors blend perfectly to produce a tasty and mildly sweet burley smoke. It burns clean and the burley flavor is consistent throughout the bowl with no bitterness.

All things considered, this is one damn fine tobacco.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a beautiful looking and smelling tobacco. Total winner for an aromatic burley. The flavoring seems more natural cocoa than artificial chocolate. Seems to diminish with drying and as the bowl burns. Smooth and satisfying. Good burley flavor underneath it all. Does not overwhelm my senses with flavoring which I feel with their Trout Stream blend. Pairs perfectly with coffee as others have mentioned. Non-smokers have commented positively on the aroma. Great tobacco to smoke while socializing.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)

This is a unique blend but clearly very much an aromatic. The flavors are pleasant, but applied a bit heavy handed. The Virginia may impart some sweetness but that sweetness comes with a bit if that old familiar Virginia bite as well. Not something I would recommend for an all day smoke unless you enjoy using Biotene.

Overall it is a decent smoke, but with a bit more refinement it could be a great smoke.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

This is the standard to which all mildly aromatic Burley trying to bring back the old codger blends flavor and aroma should be judged. Upon first light, that familiar musty smell of Grandpa's pipe makes it's appearance.

Smokes clean and dry with no bite is smoked properly. The tobacco imparts the combination of flavors added without entirely hiding the Burley and the light touch of Virginia tobacco is just enough to add some sweetness without adding the bite. I detected not the slightest bit of bitterness so common with some Burley based blends. However, I think it would be even better if it contained about half of the flavoring that it does.

One of the best priced premium bulks you can buy, this blend is a must for Burley smokers who want that old time musty, aromatic quality.

Well done, Russ. Very well done.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have been told that all tobaccos are aromatic by definition. It is the common usage in the pipe smoking world that aromatic takes on an expectation of experience with black cav's. Having back-to-backed Grandpa's (Rich's) and Classic Burley Kake (H&H) my taste buds tell me these have more in common than not though the devil may be in the details. Steve Brooks (Rich's) Merlin-esque elixers (they are) balance is foremost. Both blends have managed to infuse their respective flavors without casing or topping in the usual 'wet' (ppg) sense but rather, for lack of a better taste descriptor 'dry melded'. Classic Kake burley (Russ O) is just a wee smidge edgier (burlier?) with flavor forward. It is no bite, no goop, very tasty and the experience in the bowl is nowhere near as intense as the nose in the pouch. If the price were the same I would smoke either with abandon. The Kake room odor is sooo good that my wife said I could smoke this in the car.....ocassionally. As it is Grandpa's is spendier at nearly twice the price than CBK shipped to NH. Classic Burley Kake is $34-ish, albeit much closer to me. They are both wonderful and personal taste and cost will determine your fave. Update: 10/24/10. Hey, where's the beef?! After carefully sitting in a screw-top glass jar in a dark place the wonderful nirvan-ic flavor has diminished significantly. It now tastes like a blend that only rubbed shoulders with what I originally received. Drats & disappointed

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

My bulk arrived as a mix of pressed sticks ~ 3"x1"x1/2" and broken off pieces that were still moister than my preference. The sticks were too large to pack as is and it was quite difficult to separate them for packing. Not worth the effort since I didn't enjoy the topping that covered up the true tobacco taste. The flavoring is advertised so perhaps this was my error to even try this one since I seldom smoke aromatics but the overpowering flavoring mixed with the Burleys didn't work for me. Burned evenly and without any bite but was too mild for me.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

So you say you like Prince Albert? You like to drink coffee with your smoke? You like lots of voluminous clouds of smoke? You like a really excellent tobacco at a great price? Look no further, my friend. I received a sample of this blend recently, and next thing I knew, the bag was empty. I promptly ordered 8 ounces more, and that amount is rapidly dwindling down to nothing. Classic Burley Kake is my new favorite blend. It has performed superbly in every pipe I've smoked it in. Easy to rub out, easy to load, easy to smoke, easy to enjoy.

I must admit, I love a mild burley. PA, Granger, Mild Kentucky Club, Boswell's Premium Burley all trip my trigger, but this blend takes the Kake. I've tried a number of Cornell and Diehl burleys, and they are all too strong and harsh for me, with the exception of Habana Daydreams.

This blend is smooth, completely bite-free, lots of pure flavor, with a touch of flavoring that I can't quite pin down, but is the ultimate complement to a cup of steaming black coffee. I can't wait for the cold weather, so I can sit outside wearing my favorite wool sweater, drinking hot coffee, and enjoying many bowlfuls of Classic Burley Kake. I think I'm in love.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know why, but I've had an especially hard time warming up to the Burley-based tobaccos from P&C. I gather it must be because of their choice of Burley, which strikes me as an especially obtrusive and woody tasting leaf. That's unfortunate, because I think that some of these tobaccos have potential. I genuinely disliked the LJ Heart Burley, haven't much enjoyed Beverwyck, and I haven't been much impressed with the Classic Burley Kake either.

CBK arrives as an abused looking reddish to dark brown pressed block with lots of broken chunks floating about the bag. Though I understand that this tobacco is designed partly as an homage to the OTC tradition, I find this much more heavily flavored than most of the familiar OTCs. Bag notes are strong and a combination of chocolate, licorice, and sawdust. Rubbing out is easy, though it does tend to stick to the fingers. For me, at any rate, the flavorings used here are just too strong and too overdone. The smoke itself is dry and pleasant, but the aggressive flavoring made the first dozen bowls a chore to get through. And the chocolate and licorice flavors tended to be overmatched by that sawdusty Burley.

I do, however, find this to be an admirable blender. I'm a big fan of lightly flavored Burley and I find a small quantity of CBK (about 10%) can add interest to more neutral Burleys like MacBaren's Symphony, Peter Stokkebye's Cube Cut, even Carter Hall and Five Brothers.

As for rumors of its relationship to anything Edgeworth…nada, niente, nil. And given that some reviewers have described as "tasteless" a blend I find overwhelmingly aromatic...well, I wonder about product consistency. It'll take me a good 5 years to go through the pound I foolishly ordered.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tastes like tree sap and ash. Room note resembles cigarettes, although less acrid. Burns well after being dried properly, doesn't get bitter at the bottom of the bowl and doesn't bite. All in all not a bad tobacco but too bland and ashy for my tastes. I much prefer Russ's Trout Stream. And so would most non-smokers.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (14)

I somewhat recommend this blend for daily smoking update my second order of this tobacco totally lacking in taste and very little aroma.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)

I have fallen in love with Russ Ouellette's blends. This is a delicious, fairly simple, old-timey tobacco. It has a sweet, rich pouch aroma with the maple and rum pretty forward. There's a mouthwatering earthiness to it. This old dog burns readily, smokes with exceptional smoothness, and only bites if you poke it with a stick lots of times. The flavors are quite subtle, and I find that it smokes best in a clay pipe. A lot of the more gentle flavors in this one seem to vanish in a briar, and it can come through as somewhat bland, though still very nice. In clay, however, every nuance comes through beautifully, and it really shines. This is very good, smooth, civilized tobacco, and at a great price.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)

This cake does taste as good as it looks. If I had a choice, I would prefer a bit less flavoring but it is without a doubt a good burley blend. Someone likened it to ESB. There are similarities but this is not Edgeworth. I say that only to keep others from expecting a copy of ESB.

This burley, like others blended with rum, refuses to bite. I pulled pretty hard (which is necessary if not dried a bit) and received no teeth from this delightful blend.

Upon lighting there were hints of a smooth nutty flavor beneath a mild semi-sweet to lightly sweet chocolate chip flavor. I did not taste any anise, and my wife did not immediately detect such a note. About halfway through the bowl I noted a mild nutty flavor that was a bit different than the usual Burley-Nutty flavor. I can best describe the flavor as "toasted sunflower seeds". The "full-on" "roasted-nut" flavor was detectable beneath the other flavors, but did not dominate as with other burley blends.

This tobacco must be well dried in order to ensure a dry smoke.I filled a bowl a day previous to smoking in order to ensure this. This is reasonable since it does come in broken cake form and so probably retains much of the moisture that develops during processing.

I gave this 3 stars because I would maybe have preferred slightly less flavoring, but I also will say that as the bowl continued it became much better. Also, my second bowl was better than my first, and the third better than the second. From this, I conclude that this tobacco is a very good "all day" smoke that could easily become a "go to" blend in time. I ordered 7 lbs all told and will see how it ages over the years. Thanks Russ!

I'll report back in a year.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The second in a sample pack I tried. I like high quality burley. I don't mind good flavoring agents to kick it up a little. What the heck this is, I don't know. The french toast aroma that was missing in my sample of Capitol Staircase, now I know where it went. This stuff seems heavily cased with something like vanilla or maple, but it's more like artificial flavors than the natural thing. And, the earthiness of the burley is too earthy; it actually tasted a bit like unwashed mushrooms (that were dipped in artificial sweetener). This earthy pungency combined with the overly sweet casings were just too weird for my tastes.

*A week later I am trying this tobacco again, just to see if there was any improvement at all. Some of the really pungent, artificial maple topping seems to have left, but it still smells really strong. The flavor is actually much worse than the last bowl I tried; just plain gross.

str8blastpot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8blastpot (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

find this a wonderful and comforting smoke. sweetly and discreetly flavored. soft and caressing plumes of room friendly smoke. and a forgiving nature make this just about a must have in my rotation. smokes easy as breathing.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

Nice tobacco. I am learning how to prep "Kake" to smoke so the bit of over heating and bitterness in my first few bowls I chalk up to a learning curve.

After I figured it out this smokes nice. Tasty notes of nuts and vanilla. I really enjoyed it. Seemed different from the other burley I have had. I think if you like burley it is worth a try. I think as I get better at the prepping and packing this will get wven better.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Russ did it again! This is one fantastic baccy! Never really went for Burley before but the reviews here piqued my interest and I ordered up a batch. One of my really good decisions.

Comes as a bunch of somewhat soft, very moist chunks that are really messy to rub out the traditional way. After developing a whole new rubbing technique, laid about 4oz onto a cookie sheet and dried it for a day. Very difficult to get some small flakes/patches to separate but very, very few sticks which makes me happy. After the drying, still a little too damp but loaded up a pipe with it and had at it. Really great stuff! First light tastes about like the pouch aroma smells, kind of sweet and fruity/nutty but not what I would call an aromatic (never really tasted the rum, either). Lights easily, even when too damp, smokes cool with no hint of a bite, lots of tasty white smoke, VERY pleasant taste all the way down and no goopies left in the bowl. Smoked 3 bowls full in one morning in the same pipe and everything was super smooth and pleasant without leaving any objectionable residue in the pipe (or my mouth). The wife also had no complaints.

Will continue to dry this out some more, but I foresee no problems. I really don't think that there is any humectant in this and it feels like the most natural flavored and tasting baccy I have ever tried (at least as a Burley). Expect to keep this around as a regular and am putting it in my very favored shelf.

Thanks again, Russ, you're the greatest!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a solid smoke, sweet and tasty throughout the bowl. Although cased with Rum, Cocoa and Anise I would not describe it as an aromatic. I could not detect any of those flavors in the pouch aroma nor the smoke, yet an added sweetness was obvious. Not being a big fan of Burley dominated blends, I do enjoy this one. I would give this four stars if not for the looong lingering aftertaste. Finished a bowl about an hour before dinner one day and could still taste it after dinner. Some people enjoy this type of long finish, I do not.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It took me a fair number of bowls to get past this blend's aromatic pretensions, and then ... In a word, excellent, although purists who can't stand the thought of a flavored tobacco passing their lips will probably hate it. It consists of top-notch burlies sweetened with Va and a sublime mixture of flavorings. The burning characteristics are superb, and it's one of the most bite-free smokes I've had the pleasure of trying. My one complaint is that it burns a bit hot, but going slow tends to curb that tendency. If the idea of a sweetened tobacco appeals to you at all, this is a must-try blend. If not, give it a shot anyway -- you might be surprised! Four stars as an aromatic, 3.5 stars as a burley mix.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, on the strength of the reviews here I ordered 1lb of this weed and tonight filled an Inderwicks I am breaking in with burley, sat back and watched 'A river runs through it' directed by Robert Redford, really a film tribute to fly fishing. This is one fine burley...smoked gently and contemplatively it has a wonderful taste and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mellow and pleasant it certainly is with the lovely undertones of bread, nuts and chocolate slipping through. I'd say that it's definitely one to smoke slow and sure, not puff away like mad at or you'll suffer as others seem to have done in the reviews before mine. For me it's a winner...gets my 4 stars.

Added 20th August...I am absolutely loving this; so long as you smoke it gently it has the nicest flavour. I'm ordering another 3lbs as we speak. One of the nicest tobacco's I have come acrosss in years.

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)

This Tobacco filled a void in my smoking world. I am a certified Va Va/per lover but was looking for something with a little change of pace. This tobacco is a very smooth good tobacco base of several burleys and a small pinch of virginia, then flavored lightly with a slight cocoa rum and anise (a licorice like flavor). This is not a goopy aromatic. This is a fine tobacco base with a slight sweetness that complements the tobacco.

I love it!

Maboman

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

From reading other reviews, it seems like I got a completely different tobacco. The tobacco I got had no flavor other than ash. It seriously tasted like I had just filled my pipe with ash and smoked it. I took possible five pulls of the stuff and then tapped it out. Definitely not for me.

Coffeecup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coffeecup (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I like this one, but it's a little too mild to be a regular smoke for me. Not a thing bad to say about this one, just wish it was twice as strong. Good Flavor but not nearly enough.

Novangelus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Novangelus (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first venture into pipesandcigars blends - and it was wonderful! This is a very nice blend that smokes dry in the bowl and lights up the palate with a nice array of flavors. This is a blend that can be smoked freely in company as its room note is very appealing. Several people asked what I was smoking when they smelled it. Certainly a must try.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First off let me state that I am neither a burley nor an aromatic smoker. As with many of us I did go through that phasen early on in the 70's and finally settled on Virginia-Perique. English and Balkan mixures. Somewhat smug about my stance I contined for many years satisfied that I had the "true word" on tobacco blends and was somewhat condescending toward any other points of view or opinions. I am sure most of you know what I mean.

Humility comes at a price it is said and I find this to be true. Russ' burley blend is a delightful change of pace and I admit this freely. Nice taste,good burn qualities,easy packing and very little aftertaste--none of the goopy slug either. My cheif room note evaluator - my darling wife - also likes the smell of this "old-timey" tobacco. What more could be asked for?

Though I am still not an avid burley or aromatics fan I will nevertheless highly reccomend this blend while deferring to those true burley smokers who have more experience than I do.They seem to agree for the most part with my evaluation though.

Very nice job Russ. A somewhat timid tryo at burley blends.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Saluki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Saluki (11)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Some smokers may like a tobacco with a "maple-like sweetness" and a combination of cocoa, rum, and anise. I don't.

Big Kev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Kev (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great simple burly/light aromatic. This comes as a sliced kake and looks and smells delicious. It is a burly/va blend topped with cocoa, rum, and anise which all work well together. Don't let the aromatic description turn you off to this. It has none of the usual characteristics of most aros. It is a cool and dry burning tobacco with great taste and room note. The more I smoked this blend the more I had to have. The flavor really picks up about 1/4 of the way into the bowl. Flavors range from nutty to pleasantly sweet with the occasional hint of the cocoa. It is pretty straight forward so don't go into this looking for something complex. A great smoke that I would recommend to all pipe smokers. Beginners take special note. This is a very easy burning, trouble free smoke that tastes great.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

This is a very nice burley blend. The cake is fun to break up and pack into the pipe, I've found it's best to avoid overpacking. The first few puffs produce a somewhat weird mixture of tastes but it quickly settles down into an almost sweet, cocoa like flavor that has hints (at most) of anise. Slower burning, very cool and dry. Definitely aromatic but in a quieter kind of way. I think this will be a good hot weather, summer smoke. This is not your usual sweet/goopy aromatic smoke but something more muted and refreshing. Every burley smoker should try this once, the burley in this is wonderful.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is 1 of the best Aromatics I have ever smoked. Please do not confuse this with Uhle's or Peretti's Burley mixtures. NOT even close!This is a full aromatic and should be thoroughly enjoyed as such. There is a wonderful flavor of sweet chocolate backed up by Anise. This is absolutely delicious without being cloying or goopy. If you like P&W Bohemian , you will like this. My only reservation is it starts out a little hot before calming down. After 10 minutes though it is all smooth sailing. 3.5 of 4 aromatic stars.

My problems with aromatics (and I would consider this an aromatic) is that they tend to be too gooey in the pipe, too mild in taste and too overdone on the aroma. This one is guilty of none of those things. The only thing this one does that I don't appreciate is it has a short burst of foul taste on first lighting. It's a soapy flavor that is very disagreeable, but it goes away within a few seconds.

Once I'm past that initial soap taste, I'm treated to a wonderfully clever combo of tastes that somehow meld into a harmonious whole. Rum, anise and chocolate sounds like a recipe for disaster but this is a lightly flavored and lightly scented blend that allows the true taste of high quality burleys to come through with that speck of virginia sweetness. I needed to find a good aromatic for when people are around but something that I don't smoke just because I'm trying to please others. It's gotta be personally satisfying; otherwise why bother? This is the finest aromatic I've ever smoked. I gotta try some more of this guy's blends - if his other stuff is this high quality, I may be missing out!

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoke burleys on occasion and decided to try this one based on the reviews posted on this site. When reviewing pipe tobaccos, one needs to smoke many bowls in a pipe dedicated to the blend that you are going to comment on. Only is this way can you fairly judge a tobacco. After several bowls of this I have come to really enjoy this blend. The additives are mild and the tobacco smokes very cool right down to the last. I would rank this right up there with Wilkes NBB and Stonehaven. It is easy to prepare for the pipe and lights very well. It really does have that old time burley taste. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a very nice smoke.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Grassy, immature and tasteless with unbalanced casing, I was completely disappointed with this experimental house blend, the 8oz I have is gone inside the jar for years, there is so many good burleys out there to try before this one.

A very interesting burley with a different trio of flavorings. Considering this trio, there is very little in the way of moisture or goopy dottle at the end of the smoke. I was able to taste two of the flavorings in this blend, and fortunately it was not sickeningly sweet. The anise was predominant upon lighting and then the chocolate kicked in. These two danced with one another throughout the smoke. Depending on the individual kake I prepared for smoking, at times the anise was the dominant flavor, and other times, it was the chocolate. I would have preferred the chocolate to be the more forward of the two each and every time. Sometimes with the anise, it is way too harsh when forward in this blend. I couldn't honestly taste the rum, but it burned like most other rum blends - hot. I'm not talking bite, just a very hot smoke which detracted from the overall enjoyment for me. Even with slow puffing, my mouth (especially the hard palate) was always aware of the heat, but not in a scorching way. This was, for me, a major drawback. Even slow smoking did not eliminate this. As far as a solid Burley taste, I found it lacking. My favorite Burleys are Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Wessex Burley Slice, the long gone Edgeworth Sliced, and Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, so now you know where I'm coming from taste and strength wise. Packing (the Kit Kat-sized cakes crumble very easily) and lighting are relatively easy and the blend stays lit for the most part. Due to the trio of added flavorings, what tobacco taste there is remains way too far in the background. The overall Burley flavor that I was looking forward to was greatly masked and a bit harsh to boot. It didn't remind me at all of Edgeworth Sliced, and only similar to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed topping wise (rum and chocolate); although ERR (the original, not Lane's) was a cube cut, slower burning, less heat, and sweeter tasting. The taste of CBK can be a little cigarette ashy at times. This is very noticeable if you return to the bowl after letting it go out a spell.

The room note, at first, is pleasant while it is being smoked. However, the room note, after a few minutes, can become cigarette-like. It is very ash-smelling, reminiscent of wet ashes, occasionally translating into the taste.

I waffle back and forth with this one. It has stuff going for it that I classify as 3 star, but with the heat factor and that awful cigarette presence, makes it at best no more than a 2 star blend. I have tried to smoke this one by taking one of the brownie-like cakes and put it into a pipe with a bowl to accommodate its length and breadth. It smokes a tad cooler but there are times when you are greeted with a burst of anise which is way too much for me. You still need to keep from puffing too fast to keep that heat factor turned down! I'll give it a recommended - just for its nice chocolate presence, although I wish it were more pronounced. Overall...2.5 stars.

UPDATE 7-29-13: Definitely smoother with age on it. I still have nearly a pound that's well over 3 years old. While puffing on it today it really reminded me of Mac Baren's Honey & Chocolate, but more subdued. Didn't detect the cigarette-like presence as previously stated. Actually, the room note upon returning to where I was smoking it was quite pleasant. The Anise is more pepper-like this time around...perhaps there is a bit of Perique (actual or artificial I can not tell)? I'll bump my personal rating up to a solid 3 stars; although this will most likely be an occasional smoke for me for when the mood strikes.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Russ has created another fine tobacco in Classic Burley Kake. The aroma of this tobacco is mouth watering and the thick flakes crumble easily. This is an excellent burley/VA tobacco that has an excellent nutty flavor, smokes cool, and has not bite. I would call this tobacco an aromatic, but the flaovrs stay in the background and don't interfere with the taste of the tobacco. I guess becasue the flavors are steamed into the tobacco.

If you like burley and burley flakes, this will be a real treat. Stonehaven was my favortie burley flake until smoking Classic Kake.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Oh yes!! This is what a Burley Blend should be. The flake or "kake" cut on this is 3.5 inches long, 1 inch deep, and 3/8 inch thick. The flakes are a deep coca brown with a wonderful aroma. One especially notices the cocoa, rum and anise top note upon opening. The flakes are not overly moist, although I have found that some drying turns up the flavors. This flake "krumbles" easily for filling the bowl, but can be left in large chunks if desired.

Burley Kake has a nice room note, and the flavor is very consistent from top to bottom. Some may find this boring, but I enjoy its uniform flavors which I find mild and subtle. This flake does not bite or burn hot. There is a basic Burley taste - not very sweet - with hints of cocoa and rum. It does not get bitter at the bottom of the bowl (which speaks to the high quality Burley leaf used) and stays lit easily. Although Burley is not noted for improving with age, I plan on lay more of this away.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am admittedly averse to Burley blends, and often shy away unless the leaf serves as a minor component, as in, for instance, many of the Lakeland tobaccos that are primarily Virginia based, with a bit of Burley to extend the blend's body. But I do like to sample tobaccos of every genre, it just seems that my cabinet of smokes is full of those optimistic Burley purchases that went nowhere but upon a shelf, waiting for their day.

And today I decided for a break from the Virginias and the Englishes that populate my pipes and palate...and so pulled a pouch of the old Carter Hall for a rare resampling. The past few weeks I've forced myself to cease my monthly tobacco restocking, simply to finish off a few the many blends that I push off to the side in neglect. I chose to smoke my rare Burley sampling in a very small pipe to limit my discontent, as the leaf tends to wear on me in larger pipes.

I got that "nutty" flavor of which so many remark, though I only call it "nutty" for lack of a better vocabulary. It is that characteristic taste that grates on me over time, endemic to most of the lower end OTC blends, but seemingly lacking in the higher end blends like Solani's Aged Burely Flake, which I admire most of all.

The smoke was decent, and I put together a pipe to immediately follow my most recent Carter Hall experience, filling her with Russ's Classic Burley Cake. My sample is nearly a year old at this point, and has a peculiar rubbed out consistency. Either the press failed or was forgone entirely, of which I'm not certain. This has happened before from Russ's blending house, as in my purchase of Plum Pudding, also conspicuously absent of the press--though not that it would matter much in the smoke. The blend itself smells sweet out of the mason jar, and quite inviting. The moisture content is quite high, and the tobacco itself is very soft but not at all sticky to the touch.

Upon light, the casing is more muted than what I have read from the reviews here. It is indeed evident, but never detracts from that nutty flavor of the Burley. I do see some darker leaf in the jar, which I suspect might be the Kentucky referenced in the description, though it appears to be minimal, perhaps less than five percent of the blend. At no time could I detect the Virginia, though its inclusion might explain a limited profile of that characteristic Burley nuttiness.

Classic Burley Cake is a mild blend, more so than the Carter Hall, and never builds an intensity that I find objectionable. It will be admittedly difficult to finish off the remainder of these 2 ounces, but that is of no fault of the blend. I can't speak for other reviewers, but I don't suspect the flavoring will repel the more hardened Burley admirers out there--toward the end I could pick up light chocolate notes, but the primary character of the topping seems to me a an added sweetness that compliments the leaf. Or maybe that's just my sample, as perhaps I got an odd batch? To be fair, I wouldn't have picked this up had I known the tobacco wouldn't have been caked as promised.

Regardless, this is a decent blend, but not one for the Burley connoisseur. It's simply a light, sweet Burley blend with no pretensions, very fitting for those times one would enjoy a kind, mindless smoke.

First let me say that I love Russ Ouellette's blends and have several in my rotation, but Classic Burley Kake simply is all of the things I don't like about some aromatic tobaccos. I do enjoy one on occassion, but CBK is simply too overpowering and I find it difficult to get a sense of the tobacco flavor. CBK is a very moist krumble Kake with a very sweet pouch scent. I found it sticky when rubbing it out and it will ghost a pipe. If you are a fan of Russ's tobacco's I suggest it's worth a try, it just isn't for me.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Bought this because of the positive reviews. However, I just got some flat and tasteless tobacco in my pipe, with also poor burning properties. Not recommended at all.