An unusual combination of burley, Perique and Turkish tobaccos.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Strength
None Detected, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.3

Cornell & Diehl have created blends I loved, blends I sort of liked and blends I have not liked. With this one, they've created a blend I find characterless (although this supposedly is an Atlas blend they picked up).

A mostly mahogany brown mix of what appears to be pencil shavings and twigs, this has a heavy tobacco bag aroma with a very faint citrus note. Based on the definition of Shandygaff, I would guess it to be ginger but that very slight taste was more 7-up than Ginger Ale to my taste buds. It was very much to the rear. Up front was the "flavor" of non-descript burley with a perique overcoat. Whatever flavor this is supposed to have was garbled and confused. Mostly the effect was warm air with the full spectrum of nicotine.

Recommended for cigarette smokers looking to move to the pipe. Other than that, there's really no point to this one. One star ratings are usually for those blends I hate the taste of but this one earns one star for being a waste of time.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an interesting blend to try. I got a sample from a friend and was able to smell the tin as he put some in a baggie for me. The aroma that hit my nose was oddly enough that of Va and ginger ale, an aroma that I never thought I would pick out from a freshly opened tin of tobacco. Upon lighting the tobacco the taste of some wiley Va's hit my buds and as I continued to puff I exhaled a bit through my nose, this proved to be a good tactic with this blend as I again picked up some of that ginger ale flavor that I found so perplexing from the tin note. I found this blend to be one that I was willing to smoke indoors, and especially enjoyed during the spring season, it is a bit biting if one is not careful to sip as you usually should with VA's. I smoked this one during my second real streak of interest in Va's and found that it fit right into the rotation. If you smoke alot of Va's and you are looking for something a bit unique to throw into the mix, try this one, I don't think it will disappoint.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Shandygaff certainly lives up to its description when they say it is unusual. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would have purchased it, the combination of tobaccos didn't sound too promising to me. I knew I had to try it though when 'chaplikc' handed me a sample and said "You have to try this!" I'm glad he did.

This blend is full of surprises. Frankly, I had my doubts when I got home and looked up chaplikc's review. Salty? Yes, kind of. It does remind me of the sea air.

In a medium sized bowl, the Perique started off a bit strong for my taste, but soon settled down to a very pleasant level. In a narrow bowl, the Perique was much better behaved.

Burley is the base, and it forms a very sound foundation in this blend. The surprising thing, to me, was the way the Turkish supported the Burley without becoming overbearing.

After the first 1/3 of the bowl is where I feel Shandygaff really begins to shine. The nutty/bitter Burley is in full bloom with the Perique doing a little dance in and out. The Turkish is seasoning things ina very enjoyable manner.

At the end, I often got the usual "flourish of Perique" as the bittersweet Burley retreated. The bowl was bone dry with nothing but a powdery ash.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had high hopes for this blend. Ginger is a favorite of mine. In the summer months a shandy is a great thirst-quencher. So what went wrong? I found the ginger casing used in Shandygaff to be artificial tasting and the perique is used with a heavy hand. Too much pepper ruins the ginger. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, I'm not an aromatic Guy. Really don't like the stuff- Seems the taste is always kinda flat. If your anything like me, You'll probably like Shandygaff. Not unlike Spice nut, It has a great tobacco flavor, with a touch of something else. Mr. Dottle says ginger- and I won't argue. By definition, Its Ginger if the name is accurate to what it is. Whatever- I dig it. Great burley, Turkish tase. Throw just enough perique to make it spicy, and throw that flavor.... Its exotic, Tasty- and can throw you a mean head buzz if your not carefull.... Give it a shot.....Its worth it.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

Unlike the two previous reviewers, I did not detect a salty taste in this blend nor was I reminded of the sea air. What I did taste in this blend was a lightly spicy, gingery flavor that, for me, grew old quickly. The description does not state that ginger topping is present but another C&D blend, Valle Crucis, does have a ginger topping. Not knowing what 'Shandygaff' meant, I subsequently looked it up and it is defined as ?A drink made of beer or ale mixed with ginger beer, ginger ale, or lemonade.? So perhaps my taste buds were true to me with this blend. Shandygaff is a good and different tasting occasional smoke but not an all day smoke or a regular smoke for me.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6.9 out of 10

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I had to try this when I read the description. This is indeed an unusual combination for a blend. The burley took center stage followed by the turkish and then the perique. It is hard for me to describe the flavor in that I've never tasted a blend quite like this. It is nutty, salty, and had a pleasant sourish note that intermingled in the flavors. The perique would come in and out of the flavor throughout the smoke. This smoke very cool and packed very easy. Overall this kind of reminded me of the ocean or sea for some reason. Maybe it is that salty element that is in this smoke. This is a definate must try for the adventurous or curious.