Somewhat lighter than the Balkans, more gentle, not so bold in flavor. Mostly the same tobaccos.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Full

2.3
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Having the name Blakan in this description was a bit of a misnomer for me. There was some Turkish tobacco in the blend but, if there was Latakia I will be very surprised. All the VA tobacco was light and I am sure that half the blend was burly. In my opinion this was just too bland for my likening.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

The tin description is perfect. Latakia bombs are lost on me. I love the stuff to add some taste and share in the fun, but not as the life of the party.

Winthrop meets my tastes in that respect perfectly. Its a well balanced blend that isn't too rich to enjoy throughout the day but does meet the requirements of a Balkan by leaning towards the Oriental leaf components.

Were I grading it on intrigue and complexity, I might have to dip down to a 3-star rating, but the superb burning qualities, the lack of bite, and overall smoke-ability, not to mention a welcoming price point tip this sleeper well into the four star category.

Incidentally, for the nostalgic I'll note that this recipe was one of the original Atlas blends dating back to who knows when and came with the business when the Tarlors bought what is now C&D.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

Winthrop goes heavy on the turkish, light on latakia. If you like turkish, you may like this. To me, however, it seems out of balance, with a flavor too hay-like. A little tiresome, monotonous after a few bowls, doesn't hold my attention. It's a good blend for what it is, but it just isn't my taste.