A mostly bright flake natural mixture with Perique, Latakia and burley, spiked with pure Turkish high grade leaf.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.8
balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (34)

This blend although totally different as content, is surprisingly similar to Balkan Sasieni. There is no VA's, and the light metal taste of the Burley is present, but there's still some mildness and you can say "emptiness" in it. And it's not because of the lack of VA. Perique is noticeable here and there, gives just a little sharpness to it, so it's not blunt. The beauty here is in the choice of the orientals. Lat is not overpowering, leaving the orientals to play their part, and it's AWESOME. In most cases, Balkan blends are blunt and empty, lacking body. Adding a pinch of Perique, or more Latakia does the job somewhat, but ruins the oriental kick. Same with Virginias. Here in my opinion, it's balanced just right. The smoke is creamy, tasty, spicy, not blunt, not empty, and not too sharp and strong either. This is perfect for an everyday smoke. Burns OK, despite of the cut, burns cool, and no bite at all. This is mostly morning smoke, because it's mild, and has awesome aroma. Good nicotine kick, it wakes you up, enlightens your day, and prepares you for the day. If I was to name it, I would call it "Morning Balkan". I highly recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: All kinds

Similar Blends: Balkan Sasieni.

A very tasty English blend with no discernible topping to distract from the natural flavors. The burley is slightly sweet and nutty, and adds a light earthy quality with a slightly noticeable cocoa note that plays well with the choice Virginias, which are also lightly sweet and earthy. The Orientals and perique provide a mild spice hit. The Turkish is slightly more than mild, and brings a welcome complexity to this offering. Of course, the latakia helps in that, and is smokey and lightly woodsy with a light to medium presence that allows the other flavors their chance to join in and play. A perfect mixture for briars with a wide bowl, and meers. Well worth smoking any time of day, it's one of the more comfortable English smokes around.

Although this starts as a mild bodied blend it becomes medium bodied rather quickly. For that reason I rated the strength as medium. The first half of the bowl has the typical Balkan flavor profile of Orientals out front, closely followed by the Latakia, both riding on the base of Virginias. At this point the Burley and Perique are barely discerned. About the half way mark the Perique steps forward and adds it's spice to that of the Orientals. It's a quick transistion. Kinda like, "Wham, Bam, here I am!" I love the way it does that. At about the two thirds mark the Burley steps forward. The spiciness decreases and it starts tasting like a VaBur and stays this way to the end. During the VaBur stage the mouthpiece of the pipe tastes like it was dipped in a mild sugar water. I could also taste the sweetness on my lips. This blend will not overpower you, but it will impress you with it's complexity. Very enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: Nording bent apple, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Similar Blends: Can't think of anything. Stands alone..

The tobacco comes at a perfect state of humidity for me. The bag smells of latakia, and I am expecting a a latakia heavy blend just from the pouch note. Once in the bowl I taste an oriental forward blend with a pleasant but not overpowering latakia presence. The Virgina and perique make it slightly sweet and and complement the oriental sweet spiciness. The burley gives it body, and it provides some strength. It leaves a characteristic tingle from the orientals in my mouth as a I finish a bowl.

The blend is smooth and tasty. It really satisfies. It punches a lot of buttons for me, and it does it it with a certain elegance. You owe it to yourself to try this if you have any interest in blends of this sort. The price point is even good. Get some, and I claim you will be happy you did.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)

From the first bowl I knew this tobacco was for me. Medium bodied Lat blend with nic to match, and it produced the elusive sour note that I desire. Very dark tobacco, very dry, not an incredible jar note, but magic in the bowl. Dry, incense- like, sour, smoky. I'm thinking this is one spectacular bulk tobacco.

Then it dawns on you that despite the traditional impressions, this tobacco is anything but. There is no Va here. You read that right. Burley, Latakia, Perique and Turkish. I am guessing 4 out of 5 Lat blend smokers wouldn't guess that in a blind test. Amazing.

Once you know the Va is not Va, you kind of notice a Burley sweetness in the background. But I stress, this smokes like an excellent Balkan and is nothing like an American blend.

I love C&D's Red Odessa, a unique, genre busting tobacco. It's not a conventional Lat blend, but more like Three Friars with Latakia. I like Super Balkan even more. This is my bulk Lat blend, and I just ordered a pound. This is by far the best bulk Lat blend I've smoked, and it shames most tinned blends. In fact, this is the best Lat blend I've smoked from C&D that isn't wearing a GL Pease label. At $36/lb, about the same tinned if you look around, it's simply astonishing. I'll tell you right now I like this better than Larry's Blend.

###update 4/31/2012 Long term, this blend hasn't consistently reproduced the magic that had me so excited about it, and I have to lower my opinion of it. Occasionally I get spectacular smokes from this one, with luscious sour notes. More often than not, it's an undistinguished generic Lat blend. Still recommended but not one of my favorites.

Shooter2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shooter2 (1)

Super Balkan (C&D)

Allow me to begin by saying I am getting reacquainted with pipe smoking. I quit a three pack a day cigarette habit about 28 years ago. I recently decided that, at age 74, taking up a pipe would not appreciably reduce my life expectancy and may even improve it. One of the blends suggested by my local tobacconist is C&D's Super Balkan blend. I keep my tobacco's separated in cracker jars and I love opening this jar and inhaling the smoky aroma. It gave flashbacks of campfires past and hunting coats that I failed to have cleaned after the season ended. First, I tried it in a Kaywoodie. I did not like it. Then I tried it in a Peterson large pot with a P-lip stem and it was better, but not good enough. Finally I tried it in a Savinelli billiard dry (#128) and found it very nice indeed. The two early pipes gave me some bite I did not like, but the Savinelli is smooth and enjoyable from beginning to end. No bite. I recommend this tobacco and will make it part of my inventory.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

What a terrific tobacco. I was totally delighted with the taste, nico content, english/oriental flavor and impressed with the fact that I could taste each of the ingredients as they blended to perfection. Bravo Mr. Tarler!

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

Before I opened the tin I expected to get bowled over by latakia. Super Balkan had me expecting somthing very heavy and was supprised by the light color and aroma that greeted me. The pipe packed very nicely and at the light of the match I was soon in pipe smoker heaven! Wonderfull flavor and the latakia is held at a very usable level allowing the experiance of the other tobaccos to be enjoyed. My wife and daughter, both in the room and having no idea I was lighting a Balkan, did not utter one word of complaint and when I asked what they thought they acted as though they didn't even notice I was smoking. Very, very enjoyable blend. I can't even compare it to another blend I have smoked in the past. It is an 8 oz tin and I very well may not smoke anything else until it is all gone. Great job Craig!

Super Balkan - Big flavor, buttery, latakia forward balkan, not overly sweet. I believe it is the Burley in this blend that gives ME some harshness, as I'm very sensitive to Burley. I also get a creaminess with this blend, kind of what I get from Lancer Slices ( but with Orientals), I know "weird" creaminess with harshness ! Similar to H&H Ambassador but this is better and sweeter . Compared this also to Pirate Kake ,and SB allows more of the Orientals to show and is smoother. I think this could grow on me but I also think this needs aging. At bulk prices, this is worth stocking up on.

I'm sorry, I realize I'm all over the place on this review, but I was that way smoking the blend, " do I like or love this blend?"

Maybe reviewer, " Gentleman Zombie 2013-12-27" did a better job.

Pipe Used: large egg cob