Created by Matt Robillard, and born from conversations with Matt Hoffar who felt Matt needed to try his hand at an English blend. This superb mixture is delicate in Latakia, with a mix of Orientals, Virginias, and a touch of Burley. The result is a thoughtful blend with a whisper of sweetness. Great as the last smoke of the evening.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByMatt Robillard
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.7
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Last of the samples! This was a one ounce sample directly from 4noggins. Runs the gamut of blond to black in color with a C&D-like choppy mishmash cut. Bag aroma of latakia and little else.

I like the idea behind this, a burley-er latakia blend with the rest of the tobaccos just along for the ride. I'd like it better if 4noggins burleys didn't have this tendency to go bitter on me so quickly. I don't know what the story is there but just as this blend hit a groove with me, I'd get this heavy bitter burley flavor that overlaid the rest of the flavors. To that point the flavors were excellent... deep and nutty with a beautiful latakia blast. Then the bitterness took over and it was all downhill.

Good nicotine level here for those that enjoy that, and this burned cool and not too fast. Perhaps a bit less burley would have done the trick, or a different grade. Hard to recommend this one except the impression is clear that others enjoy this more than I, so it's worth a shot if you like burley and latakia together.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It has taken me quite a while to get through the small amount of Baker Street I have in my cellar. I find my review lining up with most of the other reviews. First off, I too think that there is a bit more than a “touch” of burley in Baker Street. On a percentage basis it may in fact be small but from a flavor standpoint it's out near the front with the Orientals. Secondly, I too find this very similar to Button Bay. I do find it smokes best for me well dried. The smoke is smooth and doesn't bite. I didn't find it to create a lot of moisture. There is nothing wrong with this blend, but from an English standpoint, I find it very ho-hum. Two and a half stars.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on a sample sent by 4 Noggins. For me, the strength of this blend is in the Orientals, with the Latakia providing noticable support but secondary to the latakia (which I prefer to the inverse). The N seemed just to reach the medium (as opposed to the mild-to-medium) range, which again, I generally prefer to stronger N. The Latakia is most noticable in the room note, unsurprisingly. A good blend to start or end the day.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I don't really "get" this blend, at least not so far. I will smoke the rest of my sample and update this review later. From my taste buds, there's more than a hint of burley in here... and I like burley... but what bit of topping this has makes it burn a bit hot, and a bit wet, and I don't like that in my tobacco... even if I like the flavor. This has decent flavor, nothing overwhelming, and nothing masterful, IMHO. Honestly, I prefer Walnut, a vastly underrated burley blend, if I'm looking for something subtle with just a hint of latakia in there.

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)

This blend is similar to Button Bay, but with less Latakia.

It's good stuff, smooth and perfectly blended. High quality leave as you can find in all 4noggins blends. What I miss is something special in flavor and taste as I can get in Button Bay.

If you like Button Bay with less Latakia, give it a try!

3 stars for a good all day smoke.

Arkansas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkansas (6)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I am giving this blend three stars because it's not a bad smoke. But why would you smoke it when there is Button Bay. Almost the same blend, but with a bit of a bite.