Pressed in traditional Scottish cake, aged to perfection, this blend of the finest naturally sweet Matured Virginias, fragrant Katerini, rich Louisiana Perique and just a touch of rare Syrian Latakia makes an exceptionally smooth, cool smoke suitable for a stroll along the castle arcade.

Notes: Reintroduced in 2009 from a PCCA Blend.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50g tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I feel bad for disagreeing with all the positive reviews for this blend, but I just do not appreciate this offering from McClelland at all.

Like all McClelland offerings, the quality of the leaf is top-notch. It sounds like just the kind of blend I would most enjoy, but the whole is less than the parts in that the various ingredients do not come together for me in anything resembling a balance. Indeed I don't taste any sweetness from the virginias, the perique comes across too spicy and peppery, the oriental is too tangy, and I don't detect any of that syrian latakia I was looking forward to. Overall this blend is way too sharp, tangy and astringent for me. Smoking it very slowly reveals some interesting nuance, but those delicate tones are drowned out by the negatives of ingredients that don't harmoniously cohere.

I really expected to like this one, and wanted to, but I'm surprised how much this one disappointed me. I'm glad that other reviewers here appreciate it as much as they do, but I just don't see what they see in it. It saddens me to give a McClelland blend just one star, but I honestly can't recommend this one.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)

This tobacco has a topping that is obvious but not overpowering and the usual Cider Vinager smell from McClellands is not present. It does not effect the flavor. This tobacco is fantastic. I have tried blends with Syrian Latakia only from another blender and the subtleness of that rare tobacco is obvioius here. Those looking for the smoke bomb flavor of Cyprian latakia will be dissapointed as Syrian Latakia is not quite so one dimentional with the "smokey" smell and flavor. If you like Va/Per blends then try this and the fuller flavor that sets this one apart is due to the Syrian Latakia. I like this a lot and will put this one in my rotation this coming Winter.

=adendum 12/20/2009= I smoked 1/2 of the tin after I first opened it up. I put the rest away for later. Today was that later day. I can't believe I wrote what I wrote before regarding the smell. I can't detect any topping at all and now there is a very slight cider vinegar smell along with the syrian smoky mustiness. I can only guess that there is a natural tobacco smell in here that came out flowery when oxygen was first introduced to the tin. I let this dry out a little more and I think I like this one even more than I liked it before. Yumm Yumm.

= 1/19/10 = Just keeps getting better each time I smoke it. Truely a masterpiece. The review after me suggests drying this out a lot and I must agree. My tin was opened 6 months ago and has dried a lot. Perhaps that is why it just seems to get better.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

This review is based on the now widely distributed version that has just hit the market recently.

I must say that I am quite impressed. It is not a krumble kake but instead a small cut flake. It is dark with strands of light intermingled. There is a faint and pleasing clove/cinnamon aroma that greets you each time you open the lid, I can only assume this is imparted by the Katerini for no flavoring is detectable. The touch of Syrian Latakia apparently means they touched the other the tobaccos and then removed it! But I'm not complaining. If you're not a latakia fan you can safely try this flake. The perique is delicately handled and provides just enough zip for interest.

Overall I find this to be a well balanced blend and extremely pleasing. It does (IMHO) work best in a smaller bowl. A prince or squat bulldog have worked for me.

The proof of how well I like a tobacco is a simple enough equation -- how quickly did I go through my initial supply? I have gone through this first tin of Arcade and am about to open the second. If it is as good I'm in trouble cause this stuff is not inexpensive!

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Bottom of tin, date stamped 2008. Broken flake in wide chunks: a sliced cake partially rubbed out. Mottled dark brown and black, with an overall dark reddish-brown mahogany tinge. Standard McClelland ketchup aroma. Not moist, but on the dry side of supple.

Packing & Burning: Packing is obviously a chore due to the wide flakes needing to be rubbed out into smaller pieces. To keep it lit, it needs to be forcefully stuffed down into the pipe, beforehand, and likewise takes a lot of puffing to keep it lit.

Taste & Aroma: Pleasant, not bad. I sensed the labeled components as a combined group. The individual components do not stand out. If anything, the Latakia and Perique combine to give a moderate smoky walnut flavor.

Strength: Moderately strong

Room Note: Moderately pleasant, for a pipe smoker.

Overall: An also ran, pleasing, but not exemplary in the individual components, but an overall mellow smoky effect. Will not be buying this again. A mild 2.7 stars.

Update 08 FEB 11: Having previously experienced Aurora, and Tudor Castle after, smoking TC Arcade, though in different genres, I have to downgrade Arcade from three to two stars. The overall quality of smoke of Arcade is comparatively harsh.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I preface this brief review with the fact that I tried this tobacco in 3 pipes; a Zulu, a large straight Billiard and an Author. I had the best smoke in the large bowl Billiard. I don't know if this flies in the face of convention, but there you have it.

Upon opening the tin, the 'signature' McC ketchupy (or barbeque saucey) aroma wafted into my nostrils. Rightly or not, I have always attributed it to nicely aged, mellow and sweet Va's and, frankly, I truly relish the aroma.

My tin was a combination of flake and broken flake. It requires rubbing out (okay, fold it if you prefer) and a little drying. It fired up promptly and stayed fired up for most of the smoke. The VAs and Orientals predominate, and the interplay is rewarding. Oddly enough, while I could not taste the Latakia that's contained in the blend, the resultant room note told me that it was in there somewhere. And, I could not definitely taste the Perique, but my taste buds may have confused it with one of the zesty Orientals. However, I had a bit of a peppery aftertaste in my mouth towards the end of the bowl: perhaps the Perique has greater mass (joke).

All in all, another great blend from McClelland, and a very enjoyable smoke.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)

My favorite currently produced Syrian.This blend must be dried to a near crisp otherwise it wont taste the way you want it to. Sometimes i will take out a couple of flakes rub them out and leave them for weeks at a time. i come back to it when there is almost no moisture left in the tobacco, to the point you would think the flakes were ruined. fear not that is when this superb blend shines.for me, this is almost as good as the late Bohemian Scandal. different but still wonderfully rare and good. perfect for fall weather and antique calabashes. Awesome off of an amber stem.I'll cry if it disappears. if you havent " gotten" this blend dry it. a lot. best after a steak dinner.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)

Very nice, lovely flakes, fairly thick cut. This one needs to be rubbed out. Tin moisture is acceptable but a little high. Have tried in several pipes, and it seems to prefer something a bit on the smaller end. For best results, don't smoke it in a heavily Latakia imprinted pipe.

This one is a good intro to English style blends for a virginia or vaper lover, since that is about all you get. Fortunately the virginia is very high grade. The overall impression on opening is a very grassy, herbal smell. The flakes are light colored, with some brown streaks. After lighting, you get a big burst of the va. The oriental and perique are both fairly apparant, but the latakia seems absent. If it's there, there isn't enough to pick out, for me. As the bowl progresses, the smoke loses some of the herbal notes, but not the perique, and the lat. is still MIA. No bite, but a little heat and some perique pepper.

Overall a good smoke, of very high quality, but without enough latakia to really appeal to me- and I'm not one who likes a heavy hand with the latakia, just midrange blends. I've enjoyed this tin as a change of pace, but doubt that I'll buy more.