A traditional English mixture heavy in Latakia with Burley and Perique. A full bodied, all natural smoke. One of our original Atlas Blends.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAtlas Blending Corp.
Blend TypeBalkan
2.6
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

A Comentary: This tobacco is called "Balkan" and is claimed to be a typical "English" Mixture. Therefore, is not! Both, Balkan and English Mixtures,are made with Virginia, Latakia and Oriental Tobaccos. In the English Mixtures, Latakia is overall, in the Balkan Mixtures, Orientals are overall. This mixture not, this is Burley based, without Virginia or Oriental. Is is more proximal to an American Mixture: Burley or Burley-Virginia, Latakia and Perique. The result, for me, is fully different. All the kinds of present tobaccos (Burley, Latakia and Perique) can be noted. Smoke flavour as Latakia, peppery as Perique and bitter as Burley. But the result is very different, when compared with classical Balkan and English Recipes. This final result, for me, between 3 to 4 Stars. Latakia and Perique Fans will enjoy this. Completing my review: This tobacco is slow burning, easy to fit and light, and burns totally, giving almost white ashes. I reviewed my score. 4 Stars.

Pipe Used: Two Brazilian Pipes, an Apple and an Billiard

Age When Smoked: Recently Purchased.

Purchased From: TabacosBR, Brazil

This is a very nice blend. Not sure it should be called a Balkan, but it is a good smoke. I get equal amounts of flavor from each component. It's smoky, spicy, earthy and mildly sweet. Medium bodied and flavored. A pleasant smoking experience.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Appearance and tin Aroma: A typical Balkan, you can see and smell the different components. A little fig note from the Perique is noticable too.

Packing and Lighting: Since it is a C&D product, the broad ribbons are at perfect moisture, as usual. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Nothing spectacular, your typical high quality Balkan

Mid-Bowl: Plenty of flavor, gets into the zone easily. Perique asserts itself a little more.

Bottom of Bowl: Builds up to a medium to full intensity. The end is too spicy for this piper (thanks to the Perique!). Ash is mottled grey and dry.

Overall: There was nothing to write home about with this blend. Just a solid Balkan with high quality components. I've been spoiled by the Pease offerrings of late, so I prefer to spend a couple of dollars more for it rather than buy this again. I suppose if your on a tight budget, this may be a go to blend. As for me, I'll go elsewhere...

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

I was looking for a change-of-pace smoke, but not overly expressive. This seems a good choice. An Americanized balkan blend with generous latakia and a warm undertone of turkish. The key for me is a balanced presentation that lights easily, burns cleanly. It's been compared to Nightcap, but this one has a cleaner aftertaste and a lighter smoke. I went through three bowls this AM, and there was no tongue bite. My sample was tinned and just about the appropriate level of moisture, with a faint spring to the leaf after packing. Not a burley, but certainly one that I would smoke again.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The colors range from tan to dark chocolate brown with typical flake cut. The scent from the sample bag I received is mild and characteristic of air cured tobacco - really quite pleasant. It burns well and leaves the bowl with little residue. This is a smoking experience that builds as it progresses, starting out not unlike sliding into an old pair of Lucchese - at once accustomed to familiar ways. It builds, not to any particular climax but more like meeting an old friend you've not been around for awhile. The latakia is quite smooth with sweet flavor that reminds me of smoked nuts. Smooth and easy I find it to be a most pleasant smoke. As yet another chapter in the chronicles of English blends I would not be opposed to having it around. There is no heavy presence I can detect so I dunno about the allusion to Nightcap, but I can certainly see why it's been around for awhile. This blend will please a broad range of tastes without being unduly assertive. Maybe, with a little syrian leaf........ Meerschaum Man smoking an old CAO Bacchus

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A big let down, really. No where near what Nightcap was. "Was" being the operative word.

Overall rather bland and boring, not much depth nor anything which really made me pay attention. Maybe that was the general idea and for some folks, right up their alley. The olde Nightcap on the other hand forced my hand. Also, this dried my palate too much.

There are other blends from C&D which are more inspired than this one. This one certainly will not be in the rotation.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

So this is a Balkan, eh? Methinks I got two ounces of blending perique or another blend entirely, because what I smoked is a Bayou Bomb ideal for those who want to mainline Louisiana weed. If that's how you roll, go for it.