An all natural mixture of Latakia, Perique and burley with a Virginia ribbon base. This special blend is unusually mild.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Very Mild, Medium
2.0
CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stanhope is a real find for me. I enjoy a good English blend but am put off by the "heaviness" of most English tobaccos I've tried. I don't like Perique to slap me across the face and make beads of sweat run down my forehead. Latakia is a good condiment but can have a room note that would make unexpected company think that the plumbing in the home is malfunctioning. Stanhope is a mellow pipesmoker's friend and offers none of the usual English over the top tastiness.

The initial light is heavy with spice from the perique but a few minutes of DGT and a second light provides a mellowing that is pleasant and steady. Mid-bowl is an awesome smoke with the sweetness of Virgina coming through balanced well with a good burley taste. Latakia is just right and makes it's presence known without being a nuisance. Perique leaves off to stand in the background, nodding its head as if to say, "I told you this would be good."

An all-day English if there ever was one if handled and smoked with the respect a good pipe tobacco deserves.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

General Comment for All C&D Blends. So far, all my samples have burned clean and dry. They contain quality ingredients. If purchased fresh from C&D, I find that I must adjust the moisture content, and let them rest for 3-6 months before sampling. They change flavor dramatically in just a few months.

This is an attractive looking blend balanced between dark and bright pieces. The pouch aroma is almost nothing. There is the faintest hint of the aroma of an English Latakia-Oriental blend, but the aroma is hardly noticeable. The taste is extremely mild English blend with a touch of brightness that is most likely from the Perique. Although I really like Perique blends, its not working for me in Stanhope. The smoke is too mild, and for me, there is a lot of bite. On the other hand, if you do not like strong full blends, this might really appeal to you. It?s a quality blend that burns clean and dry to a whitish gray ash. Since I tend to prefer really strong blends, I'll have to pass on this.