Stoved Virginia with lesser amounts of burley, and 15% perique makes for a slightly sweet, smoky blend. More perique can be added if you're a perique freak.

BrandJohn Patton
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)

The dolt down below that gave this one star and panned John’s blends in general likely was recovering from brain surgery. First of all...just because a blend is not what YOU like does not make it “bad”. Otherwise Delhi Township is one of those Patton blends that is exquisitely balanced, more toward mild Vit. N and a connoisseur‘s dream. This is, by the way, no longer available at 4N’s as the new owner apparently doesn’t do special orders. Such a shame. You can still get Storm Front (world’s best Burley Blend) as well as Crossroads, Dark Horse and Oriental Dusk which are just about my favorite blends of this style, period. Complex and interesting.

Pipe Used: Various Cobs and Briars

Age When Smoked: Both fresh and aged 5 years.

Purchased From: 4-Noggins

Similar Blends: The general approach to blending is shared by other Patton blends. Very balanced..

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is a bit milder than what I usually smoke, but the mix of stoved Virginia and burley works nicely with the Perique. It has a good, balanced flavor that is a nice break from heavier blends.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is an interesting Virginia blend, with just the right dash of Perique for my tastes. Too much Perique, to me at least, is likely to put me off a tobacco. Another reviewer said that the tobacco bit him. I detected no bite whatsoever, merely a nicely composed smoke with good mouth feel.

My wife told me, upon being in the same room with me, that the room note was "really nice", which is a definite plus.

It is a mild tobacco, which accounts for a three-star rating. I generally smoke ropes, twists, etc for the nicotine jolt, so I might throw in a pinch or two for "medicinal" purposes.

All in all, a good smoke. If you are a Virginia fan, this could well be an all-day tobacco for you.

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (14)

John Patton?s ?Delhi Township?

This tobacco whilst smoking it reminded me of Spyglass except there was no latakia added to it. Instead there is a spicy tingle in the mouth, the15% perique which has been added to this blend is the culprit. The perique is not strong thank goodness as I don?t like a tobacco with the aftertaste of pepper. The percentage was just right for me. It?s earthy, nutty and slightly salty on the palate and lips but very pleasant. I did not get any sweetness from the stoved virgina but rather a darker fuller flavour making for a Smokey blend. When I was smoking this tobacco I had an urge to have a pint of dark ale with it as it would make a great companion with it. It's good blend for those that like a lighter peique smoke like me

Emeritus Account (28392)

My guess is that this was an attempt at creating a VA/Per blend. The attempt failed. The Perique is essentially silent while the Virgina and Burley fight it out to see which one can bite the hardest. Flavor is not a pleasant experience either.

This sampler has included a lot of misses. I'm regretting even going to the trouble of smoking it.

4Noggins, What were you thinking?