The finest qualities of our world-renowned flue-cured Virginia and light Burley tobaccos accentuate the natural allure of our light loose and ready rubbed Cavendish blend. Tobacco cut: Straight Cavendish cut. Flavor/Aroma: Exceptionally mild to the taste, this provocative blend reawakens the senses with its light, sweet aroma and natural tobacco flavor.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a surprisingly competent tobacco that supplies plenty of smooth, rich tobacco flavor. This Dutch Cavendish is unlike the rather bland and somewhat flat tasting Dutch Cavendish tobaccos that have been so ubiquitous on grocery and drug store shelves down through the years—this is MUCH, MUCH better!! What you get is the straight-forward taste of bright tobaccos with a little extra added sweetness. There is no complexity, but complexity is not the intent here. Natural Dutch Cavendish (NDC) is a very pleasant and quite satisfying smoke and in my opinion it is very difficult to dislike!

This blend represents a REAL value because at about $2 an ounce it is nearly impossible to beat! I recommend this one primarily for the Virginia and VAPER crowd. (I suspect that NDC may have only limited appeal for those who are committed to the more complex Latakia blends.) Otherwise, this is a must try!! And it is certainly sufficiently mild-mannered for the pipe tobacco newcomer. 3-stars+.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Gilt-Edged "Strawberry"

Age When Smoked: ????

Purchased From: smoking pipes

The third is a series of reviews on Peter Stokkebye's more naturally flavored tobaccos, the other two being Cube Cut and Aromatic Dutch Slices. No appreciable aroma other than that of fine tobacco, and like the other two previously reviewed tobaccos, NDC was easy to load and light. The overall smoking characteristics were outstanding and similar to those already mentioned. This one, for me, was more Virginia forward (but not hay like) and had more of a spiciness/sharpness while exhaling through the nose. A very naturally tasting smoke and very appealing. A bit more tingling on the tongue than the other two but no bite to speak of. Smoked dry to the heel, without moisture or dottle, and maintained a very nice, pure tobacco taste throughout the smoke. Another winner for me and will be entering rotation along with Cube Cut and Aromatic Dutch Slices. All three are pure tobacco heaven! Also, the price (for all 3) is very affordable and especially so when ordered by the pound. Excellent and deserving of 4 stars!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight SB Poker

Similar Blends: Amphora Brown, Troost Special Cavendish.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Rather suprising that a bulk dutch style cavendish of this sort has some appreciable nicotine. It's a bit closer to medium than mild in this regard. Dutch style cav's are generally very light. In fact, it seems to me despite the description that there must be at least some lighter dark fired leaf in this blend, slight smokiness in there. In line with dutch style it is very light in flavor with a very mild chocolate-like casing. The cut is a ready rubbed caked tobacco along the lines of the old Amphora, perhaps a bit chunkier. Moisture level was just about perfect with no noticable humicants, no bite. This should be a good mixer.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It always cracks me up when people say a certain blend of pipe tobacco tastes like cigarettes. I also smoke cigarettes and wish they could taste like this blend. Honestly, if you think this tastes like cigarettes then they either sold you a bag of "faux" pipe tobacco or you've never had a cigarette. I don't say this to be harsh, I say it to make it clear that it is IMPOSSIBLE to mistake this for cigarette tobacco.

The jar smell reveals some kind of topping, maybe vanilla. This blend, however, isn't heavily cased and you can taste the tobacco. I would qualify this as a lightly aromatic cavendish blend. The taste and aroma develop into a creamy coconut type flavor, and the last third is more reminiscent of a plain burley blend, but slightly sweeter.

A simple whiff at the jar will convince you it won't taste anywhere close to a cigarette.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

...Quite a nice tobacco...simple, straightforward. yet it pleases all my senses. While it is a dramatic shift from the strong plug/flake tobaccos I smoke, it has made it into my top 15 tobaccos in rotation. This is one of those few tobaccos that fits under, "Less is more"... Extremely pleasant taste and aroma, and can be enjoyed in any size pipe...especially good with hot tea/coffee and in the evening with a wee dram of single malt. Certainly worth a try...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: any

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a basic Dutch cavendish. I never smoked much Amphora Brown back when it was in every grocery store, but this is similar to what I remember. One of the other reviews said it was like Sail Regular, and that is true in terms of strength and cut. I find Sail Regular to have a slightly sweet taste with just a little oriental spice.

This is a good smoke, but it is nothing fancy. I got tobacco flavor, natural subdued sweetness and a cool burn. It is a combination that works.

Edit 8/31/14: I bought a pound of this when the sample was gone. I find that I go through this at a brisk rate. I reach for it a lot. It is simple and satisfying.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh from the baggie

Purchased From: acquired in trade with a friend

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A perfect comfort for those, like myself, who miss the old Amphora brown.

Dutch cavendish is distinctive. There's a very faint, very pleasant trace of fine cigar aroma. Presumably this originated from the use of Far East tobaccos (e.g. Java) during the Dutch colonial period.

And even though this 'Dutch' cavendish is made in Denmark, it captures the essence of the style beautifully. Slow burning, medium bodied with a natural satisfying flavour that builds steadily over time.

Were I a simple pipe smoker, and not a dedicated pipe and tobacco enthusiast, I would most likely purchase 5-pound sacks of this marvelous cavendish as my daily smoke and be done with it. Even my beloved Mac Baren Va. No. 1 fails to scratch all the itches so easily tamed by this ideal companion.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi Rusticated Author

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: Imperial Tobacco Group, PLC - Amphora Brown Regular.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The long and the short of this is: I wish I could smoke this without adverse mouth effects (tongue bite/mouth bite). I think the ph is out of balance for me, but maybe not for you. I've tried just about everything to mitigate it, to no avail. The truth is, there are a number of (usually mild/medium and/or sweetened primarily burley) tobaccos that give me this problem. I can smoke PA no problem but not Velvet, etc. Who knows why ? So I stick to strong English and Lakelands, and to Perique infused blends like OJK.

This has a subtle persistent sweetness and aroma, from the genuine Dutch Cavendish process, and a very natural burley presence with a decent amount of nicotine. The sweetness and gently sweet aroma is very subtle, nothing like an American aromatic. It is like Sail, yes, but better, imho.

If you like Sail, or the old Amphora, this should be your low priced ticket to the same destination.

h.c.burley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
h.c.burley (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

As a smoker who enjoys sail regular, and skandinavik regular, I find peter stokebye natural dutch cavendish to be very similar to sail regular, and a lot less expensive. It also reminds me of the old amphora regular, as well as I can remember it. It is a good flavorful all day kind of smoke,without all the goop and additives of some of the other brands like lane, and mcClelland's.Granger rough cut,sail regular,stokkebye luxury navy flake,and mcBaren virginia no.1, are the favorites in my rotation,although i've found myself smoking p.s.natural dutch cavendish 90% of the time. If you like sail regular,or the old amphora regular, this is the blend for you. I buy mine from for $12.50 per 8 oz. Natural dutch cavendish may become the only tobacco I buy in bulk in the future,except for an ocassional can of granger rough cut,as I enjoy a good burley with my morning coffee. I give p.s.natural dutch cavendish four stars.I've also found this blend to be bite-free.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, Mild, full Flavor, slight After Taste

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been a pipe smoker since 2003. It has taken me quite a long time to understand and appreciate the love some have for plain burley. My previous experience with Burleys was just the OTCs, which I understand there are some that are quite good. I decided to try this Stokkebye blend because I have had good luck with several of their other blends. I really like this blend. It packs well. Lights and burns great, and I finally get the subtle nutty and consistent flavor. This is a good smoke whilst fishing, doing yard work, and I like smoking this when I am playing golf. A good no fuss blend, with a steady burley flavor.

hunterPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hunterPiper (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoyed this Cavendish. Its name pretty much says it all. I was not aware of any casing, it tasted like nutty, flavorful tobacco. It's mild and doesn't pack anything beyond good tobacco flavor. I'll definitely use this one to temper some of my stronger aromatics.

The room note was quite pleasant, warm and nutty. The tobacco smoked dryly and never bit; even with aggressive puffing.

While my favorite Cavendish is Savinelli's - this one rates four stars as well.

Pipe Used: IRC basket pipe; Eric Nording

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A top notch smoke! I really enjoyed this sitting on the patio on a nice February, Houston morning. The Virginia and Burley mixed in nicely with the Cavendish to give a flavorful smoke from start to finish with no re-lights. This one definitely will have a spot in my rotation.

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I felt this tobacco is like an ordinary cigarette,but it has natural Cavendish flavor.Very easy to handle,completely no tongue bite.Maybe this is not the choice for your special day,but no bad for usual,all-day tobacco.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)

I'll keep this short. It tastes like a somewhat strong cigarette. I just can't tolerate this one. This is really the first Stokkebye product that has been disappointing for me. Gave the rest of the pound to a friend whom is trying to transition to pipes from cigarettes.