A mild to medium strength English blend. A Virginia base with Latakia and select Orientals

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Taste

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Boswell's aromatics at this point, but I can say they know how to make a phenomenal "American English" blend (or, if you prefer, a "crossover" English).

Whatever you call it, Countryside is a remarkably tasty smoke. I also must say that I'm not sure I believe that it actually contains Virginia, Latakia, Oriental and Cavendish as the ingredient list on this page says. If I were called to guess, I'd say it contains burley, cavendish, latakia and perhaps a splash of some bright Vas. I don't taste any specific flavoring agents, but it's clearly been topped with some type of sauce that manages to add sweetness rather than flavor. The effect actually brings out some of the tobacco flavor, which is one reason I suspect there is burley in here -- it's a warm, nutty flavor that I normally associate with burley blends.

The latakia is applied with a light hand but is still definitely noticeable. In fact, the latakia taste is heavier here than in, say, GL Pease's Chelsea Morning or Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. On the downside, there is no complexity to be found here and there is relatively little nicotine. The moisture level and texture of the tobacco signal the presence of some PG, but not an absurd amount. It doesn't impact the flavor much, and this stuff lights and burns like a dream. I've detected no bite with it, even when it burns a little bit hot.

Basically, Countryside seems to be an archetypal American English blend, that fading genre of OTC pipe tobaccos that once included the likes of Revelation, Blue Boar, and Barking Dog. Of course, if it contains no burley it can't really be counted among those blends, but I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the ingredients list supplied on this Web site. In any case, if you have a fondness for sweet latakia blends or the American English genre, give this a shot. I'm not sure you could do better and I guarantee you could do a lot, lot worse.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

Agreed, a tad lighter than Northwoods but every bit as good. Yet another English that has me wondering how long I'll have all these aros kicking around for?!?!

First tried in a fairly wide bowl and it was nice. Real nice. Smooth with very little detectable bite potential. This is more of an all day smoke (I think). Next tried in a taller chimney and it just got better and better the deeper into the bowl.

I detect an earthy undertone, more so than I'm able to detect in Northwoods. I'm a rook for sure. I am starting to understand (and detect) the latakia element however and I can really see how people eventually make the move away from aros to the HEnglish.

Lit easily, burned evenly right to the bottom. I should mention that I do let the bags breathe for a bit before packing. Burned very cool as well. Not picking up on the liquor element (as described above) just yet.

The War Department approves.

I love it!!!

tntrush Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tntrush (3)

The best Latakia mixture I have smoked.

I very much enjoyed its sweet earthy latakia taste, which I have been searching in other tobaccos such as Dunhill - My Mixture 965, or Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture. Countryside, is my choice.

It has rich and round taste, the smoke will treat the throat very gently and the overall experience is very neat and enjoyable as you can expect from a high quality mixture.

Countryside, is a light smoke without much nicotine. There is, however, Northwoods which can serve as the stronger version of this tobacco for more “advanced” smokers.

Pipe Used: Briar

Similar Blends: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Northwoods, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Dunhill's My Mixture 965 Match, Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (10)

After smoking the Boswell English blends I started not to like the casings which give them sweetness. But I've noticed that I'm starting to dislike most aromatics, with the exception of Germain's Plum Cake Mixture which is starting to grow on me.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega bent

Age When Smoked: a couple of month old

Purchased From: Boswell

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is a good tobacco for morning smoking, for pipe smoking begginers, and it seems to contain only a small ammount of Latakia. May be good for people that is curious about Latakia containing mixtures, but not can, at first time, to be submitted to the strong Latakia flavour. In the general tast and flavour the Oriental Tobacco totally surpasses the Latakia scent. May be considered good for smokers that enjoy Oriental Tobacco,but not so good for people experienced with the strong Latakia mixtures.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

Excellent...excellent...excellent! Boswells have great pipes, great service, and obviously great tobacco. I love their Northwoods blend and I have tried their Bear Blend. This one seems to be a milder version of an english blend. It's almost a combo of an aromatic and an english. I swear I caught hints of chocolate while smoking. It burns perfectly with lots of creamy smoke. It is an english...there are the hints of latakia and orientals throughout the smoke. It's wonderful and automatically became one of my favorites.

Cheers Boswells!!!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)

This a crossover blend for people that are just atarting to develop a taste for Latakia, it' easy to pack, and forgiving with over aggressive puffing, this blend contains the vanilla/cavendish taste that most boswell blends have, but is only noticeable towards the bottom of the bowl, the latakia is always on the background, overall it's kinda of a boring blend if you are not a aromatic smoker, very good quality if you are a aromatic smoker. Overall would I buy this again: NO, I already did my time in the aromatic department and this blend offers nothing that wants me to go back.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

Fantastic medium english. This is something special. Rich and creamy, sweet and smoky. A little oriental mustiness in the back ground.

Very complex and incredibly smooth. Light on the latakia but very flavorful. Cavendish sweetness is very prominent, possible lightly ased with vanilla. The tobacco is very nuanced.

Overall a very sweet and creamy tobacco with a little blast of latakia in the forefront which fades on the exhale.

A must try!

Similar Blends: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Northwoods, Samuel Gawith - Perfection.

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)

A nice, flavorful - light blend - Agree with all the reviews below: A good all day smoke; perfect for morning - good quality tobacco's; easy light - no bite - just all round good!

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I may be a bit biased in this review as I had the unique pleasure of stopping in at Boswell's and talking with Dan for quite a while. Great guy, great service, great pipes, great tobacco.

I have reserved one of JM's beautiful pipes for this blend alone. I'm in love with this tobacco. I strongly disagree with other reviewers who have said it is boring. The hints of fruit/leather/vanilla that climb their way out of the English fog on occasion are delightful and bring great depth to the overall English profile of this tobacco. No, it is not a straight classic English- nor does it claim to be.

I don't get much bite, if any. I'm a relatively fast smoker so I imagine if my technique were better the bite wouldn't exist at all. Plus, I have a fairly sensitive tongue, so things which don't bite others might rear their head with me.

It's my all day smoke at this point. Highly, highly recommended, as well as Boswell's itself.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A love the sweetness of latakia that dominates this blend. Half way down you will start to taste the oriental as well.Smokes cool - a great way to start your English "tour"..!

TexasTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasTobacco (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a slightly sweetened and toned down version of Northwoods in my book. This one would be good for an early morning smoke, while Northwoods may be an evening smoke. I really love the subtle sweetness that creeps in from time to time. This one is very nice.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)

More mild than northwoods, but very different. may come to bite your tongue very little, but nothing that comes to bother you, don't worry about, you feel a light touch of virginia and the black cavendish do a sweet pleasant, but keeping a original english blend like others, just some little differences. you need a try. It's blend for all day.

ah1502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ah1502 (6)

I initially expected a similar English experience as other English blends I've tried. Having forgotten this tobacco included some cavendish, I was surprised to pick up the sweetness during the smoke. That was not a bad thing. It was also not in every puff. It would come and go and made for a nice change of pace. I also picked up some taste/note of leather and dried fruit.

I did experience some tongue bite, but I'm going to attribute it to not drying the tobacco enough and the pipe I smoked it in. I look forward to remedying both of those issues next time.

I could see where this would be a regular blend in the rotation.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Love both Countryside and Northwoods, it just depends on what type of mood I'm in and Bacci qualities I'm looking for; CS more of a subtle sweetness where NW there is none...Both great blends from Boswell, grab some!

Pipetech26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipetech26 (5)

Did my research first and determined that Norhtwoods would probably be too rich for my first English. Likewise the Mild English blend from Boswell looked to be almost an aromatic. Decided to give Countryside the go ahead as my virgin voyage into the world of English Tobaccos.

Glad I made this decision. I am very new to pipe smoking but I enjoyed this blend and the stronger bolder latakia flavor very much. The bag smells like dirty gym socks but the taste and smoke is very cool smooth and relaxing. 4 star beginner English Blend!

IrishPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishPipeSmoker (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After trying NorthWoods, I called Dan and let him know NorthWoods was a little too strong for me. He reccomended I give Countryside a try. Boy, I am glad he did. This is my favorite English and a potential all day smoke.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

More people need to give this blend a go. This tobacco has been perfect for me. Most classic english blend make my head swim with the amount of nicotine, but this one I can smoke all day. Ocassionally, I wake up at night craving a bowl...so I must still be achieving my daily nicotine quota. I love it! When you visit the Boswells hompage this blend is strangly missing, I dont know why. It is available, just ask.

Loser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loser (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had no idea this blend existed till i told Dan that Northwoods wasn't for me, he suggested Countryside which can not be found on their website. upon opening the bag i noticed the distinct smell of Latakia but it wasn't nearly as strong as NW. this is my regular English blend that i smoke now in the fall months.

if you're new to English or think you may want to branch out and try English then i highly suggest this blend!

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another fine tobacco from JM Boswell,this time it's a nice mild/light ENGLISH.This is a great starter for anyone getting into English Tobacco.No harsh taste, no tongue bite, easy to pack,light,and smoke.Like other smokers have said it could be a all day smoke,as it keeps calling me to load up another bowl.

darkmoto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
darkmoto (6)

Nice light english. Could be an allday english. But every time I pack a bowl I crave more strength/flavor and it could just be that I am not really a mild kind of person. It is enjoyable though

hambone71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hambone71 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This was my first English and I've been smoking it for a couple of months now. I have since tried several other English blends, most of which I have grown to appreciate. But I keep coming back to Countryside. It is a really nice and fairly light English. Seems to be really well balanced. No tongue bite to speak of. Just enough latakia to know its there. If you're just getting around to smoking English blends then give Countryside a try. It won't disappoint.

DaveBL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveBL (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Another winner from JM Boswell, His newest English, Countryside. Its stronger than his Mild English but still retains smoothness. Its a VA base with Lat and some Oriental leaf, lights easily and the room note is tolerable for a Lat blend. Its a bit lighter than his Northwoods Countryside is full enough to satisfy regular Latakia smokers yet smooth enough for those looking to try a true English blend. This will be a regular in my rotation