Stoved red Virginia is combined with bright Virginia ribbon and restoved. The red Virginia, Perique and unsweetened black Cavendish are added.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.4
manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)

Rich rather than strong. Full but not overpowering. Very true tobacco that flies under the radar due, I suppose, to its being offered in bulk only. Just a dash of latakia and oriental away from being a great English blend. The cavendish works wonders on the more forward virginia and perique. I am no master but I really enjoy blending at home. This doesn't tempt me at all (well, maybe a dash of............). Great smoke.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)

Another reviewer suggested that Poplar Camp is Bayou Morning with Unsweetened Cav added; I agree. This is a high quality slightly rough cut blend; a little preening before packing is helpful. Bag note is chocolate chip cookie dough? Lights and smokes nicely, even when a bit moist. Flavor is earthy and a bit sweet, followed by that wonderful C&D Perique zing. I'm pretty sure that the Perique used here is the dark granulated, rather than the mustardy variety found in Old Joe Krantz, but I may have been fooled by the Cavindish. Room note is surprisingly nice for a non aromatic. Strength is a respectable medium. This is a cool smoking VAPER, and it's a creative one too. Very nice pipe manners and the Cav doesn't leave a mess, but perhaps a bit more dry dottle is all. Goes great with herbal tea, especially Nettle tea with milk and sugar. Yet another great American blend from C&D! Happy smoking. Hope this review is helpful.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Egg

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Rich and delicious Virginias. A moderate, but adequate, amount of Perique. The richness of the Virginias, in my opinion, would allow for a pinch more. Still, a nice balance between the two. The Black Cavendish adds depth and in the second half of the bowl a nice hint of toast. A solid blend. 3+ stars

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have recently been rediscovering or finding new blends by C&D that I've really enjoyed. This one is new to me, but what a great blend it is. It's one of those with slight VA sweetness and fine no nonsense tobacco flavors. It's priced right, available, comes at the right moisture level, is easy to pack, behaves in the bowl and leaves you wanting more. To me the Perique isn't forward...just sort of peaks over the others' shoulders now and then. We all have our own 'tastes like' things and to me this isn't like Haddo's or Redwood at all. I do find flavor notes that remind me of Solani's Silver Flake. Unlike some others I don't find it all that strong and having such excellent straight flavors and bahaving so well...it could easily be considered a candidate for 'all day' status. Excellent. My highest recommendation.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (40)
Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Good stuff. It has a strength level that I like, which is strong. It has some type of liquor topping (I think). It's tough to describe the flavor. maybe a weaker tasting Haddos? Well, it tastes mild, but has good nic. Would buy it again.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Having become a big fan of Va/Pers and being inspired by the long running thread by 'Slow Triathlete' on Smokers Forum, I'm always looking for that hidden gem to introduce into the mix. Two things led me to this blend. First of all I have never had any luck with C&D blends in the past and knew with the esteemed talents of Craig and Patty Tarler that the fault was not with them but with me. Well, persistence does pay off sometimes. Secondly, I'm sure like many of you that I spend way too much time on this site. "Hi, my name is Jack and I am a tobaccoreviews.com Addict". "Hi Jack!" Anyway, there haven't been any reviews of this blend in two years and yet they were all very positive with comparisons to 'Haddos Delight'. I've never heard any mention of 'Poplar Camp' on any of the forums. So of course this was all the incentive I needed to take the plunge. JACKPOT!!! I love this blend. For me the taste and aroma reminds me very much of Peterson's 'Irish Flake' and that is a really good thing. Plus you get the added benefit of the Perique that just makes it that much better. Good strength but not overly so, great natural tobacco taste and aroma with no bite. The Perique is certainly front and center the entire smoke but well tempered me thinks by the black cavendish. This is a great Va/Per that merits your considerable attention and well deserves a revival amongst the Va/Per enthusiasts. Oh yeah by the way it goes really good with a glass of 12yr. old 'The Balvenie Double Wood' Single Malt Scotch. NICE!!

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is as good as Haddo's. There probably is some casing, but it is not as noticeable. It's bold enough to stand up to Scotch. What a good idea! I need to go try it again.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco as others have said is similar to haddo's delight. THe difference is that I actually like this one. The Perique is a bit more pronounced and the VA's are sweeter. The obvious reason for this is that the burley is absent from this blend which keeps this blend from being watered down. The unsweetened black Cavendish really keeps this blend cool and allows it to be an all day smoke. I feel this may be the best VAPer blend available today.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Poplar Camp is in a class by itself. It is unlike most other Virgina Perique based mixtures with which I am familiar especially those from McClelland and Rattray. I suspect a good part of the reason for this is the addition of the unsweetened black cavendish.

Poplar Camp does however remind me of Haddo's Delight without the Burley.

Packing is effortless and the tobacco burns easily down to the bottom of the bowl with a rich naturally sweet taste.

While I wouldn't smoke this all day, it is a fine mixture with which to relax at the day's end.

Highly recommended to those who enjoy tobaccos of this type.

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The charing light brought a slightly bitter taste. I assume this would lessen with age. This is a new sample that I received today. After relighting it settled down and smoke nicely. The flavor was good, if a little bland to me. I did not experience any of the natural sweetness mentioned by other reviewers. However, I did find the flavor to be pleasant. My real problem came later in the bowl. This blend packs a pretty decent nicotine punch. This is the only reason I could not rate it higher. I could not smoke this regularly.

The sample was smoked in a 1965 Dunhill Shell Billiard: my best virginia pipe.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is very good. I agree with what the other reviewers said in that it does kind of remind me of Redwood, a Two Friends blend collaborated between GL Pease and Craig Tarler. I prefer this over Redwood. I feel that this is the best blend in this genre that I have tried out of the Cornell and Deihl blends. The virginias in this are naturally sweet and have nice depth. There is a nice , subtle complexity in this blend that I very much enjoy. The flavors run from lightly sweet to slightly dark and deep with slight earthy overtones intermingled. The perique is definately detectable and is a very nice addition to this blend. If you smoke this in a dirty pipe or smoke it to quickly you may miss out on the subtle nuances in this blend. As others have mentioned this does have a good punch of nicotine in it though not quite as strong as redwood. (Redwood makes me dizzy!) This is very good for a virginia blend in this genre and I highly recommend it.

wayno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wayno (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco packs easily and lights easily. I found that the perique makes its presense known a little more frequently than 3 friars or oriental silk. But I like the way the taste changes as you smoke the pipe. It has a sweet taste that exchanges with a somewhat nutty taste. Which makes it a fun smoke when you have the time to appreciate the flavor dance. One thing that is a must for me is smoke. I like lots of smoke and Poplar Camp has it in spades. Also, I like a smoke that ends dry and clean and doesnt bite my tongue. In these two aspects Poplar Camp excels. The only thing that keeps it from being an all day smoke for me is the nicotene buzz. I dont mind it, but is does get me staring at the walls if you know what I mean. Overall give it a try you wont be disappointed I am sure.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

General Comment for All C&D Blends. So far, all my samples have burned clean and dry. They contain quality ingredients. If purchased fresh from C&D, I find that I must adjust the moisture content, and let them rest for 3-6 months before sampling. They change flavor dramatically in just a few months.

This batch is now one year old, and it has definitely improved with age. In appearance, it is very attractive looking and composed of short cut ribbons (flakes) of Virginia, Cavendish, and Perique with a decent mixture of both dark and light pieces. In taste, it is similar to, a very mild version of Two Friends Redwood, but much more muted and not as tangy. It is not an extremely bright, perky, peppery, lemony, Virginia. It is deeper and more mellow and more complex in flavor. However, it is brighter and more flavorful than another favorite of mine, Patriot Flake. Noticeable is the taste of the base Virginias with the Perique popping in and out and with the Cavendish adding a meaty component. The flavors of the different ingredients come forward with enough frequency to keep it from being boring or singular in taste. As with other C&D blends, it gathers strength near the end. Its nicotine content is above average, and it has the C&D zing if blown out through the nose. It burns clean and leaves a whitish-gray ash with no dottle. The pipe stays dry. Pipe cleaners are not required during the smoke. I really enjoy the meaty component that I find in most C&D blends. For me, there is absolutely no bite compared to what I experience with other well known Virginia blends. It is a happy and fun mixture, and could easily be an all day smoke for some. Over time, it has become very friendly and enjoyable to me. It is reasonably priced and easy to puff. I plan to always have some around. If you are having trouble with biting Virginias, give this one a try.

inthewoodspiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
inthewoodspiper (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good solid VA/Per blend I purchased based on the reviews here. I'm glad I did and plan to keep some in the rotation as one of my go to's.

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)

Poplar camp is a pleasant light English blend that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good tasting, light-hearted mixture. A great choice for the novice English smoker.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, I mostly get the red Virginia, with just some hints of the Perique. Those who really enjoy that profile should give this a try -- a straightforward but enjoyable smoke

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This pleasant VaPer tastes good and natural. Here is a Cornell & Diehl blend that is not the very best they produce, but it still clicks with me.

I can't detect any flavoring here. This burns well, also. Offers some complexity, too.

Give it a whirl!