Captain Bob's Blend. Named and developed for friend and customer Capt. Bob Coffey. A blend of Virginias and Burleys with just a dash of Latakia and Perique and finished with a refreshing flavor.

Blended ByTarler/Coffey
Contents Burley, Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring Caramel, Maple, Orange, Other / Misc, Vanilla, Walnut
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

An everything but the kitchen sink blend. Actually, I think they threw in the kitchen sink too. Just look at that list of ingredients and imagine what it must taste like. I couldn't so I ordered some.

It's quite good. The underlying blend is very, very tasty. A good quality English. Most of the added flavors are too weak for me to pick up on though. I get the grape and the vanilla which combine to create a delicious creamy grape flavor. I never thought I'd smoke a grape flavored English, but here I am. I also would never have thought that this combo would work, but it does. It's a pleasant, enjoyable smoke. A solid 3.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)

Years ago I thought I had given up on aromatics. Like others, I found that either they never tasted as good as they smelled, or were mainly hot, sweet steam with little to no nicotine. Finally, I'm happy to say that I stand corrected. Captain Bob has managed to blend up a tobacco that has both a flavor to match the smell, and still has room to provide a decent tobacco satisfaction. While I would never have thought that grape would be anything I was interested in, I was gladly proven wrong. There is so much more here than a simple, flavored cavendish. This is a top shelf blend that I plan on stocking up on. Thanks, Cap!

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice! The pouch smells AMAZING! If you like grape cigars you will really love this. I know, I know, grape tobacco sounds weird, but trust me on this, it's good. You can actually taste grape while smoking it.

This blend is an aeromatic, but it's really in a whole other class than your typical aeros. It actually tastes good and doesn't have that nasty off taste most aeros do. No goopyness or anything. It burns cool, but if you tempt it by smoking hot, the steam actually has a sweet grapeyness to it, which is quite enjoyable. It smells very strong in the pouch, but is just right while smoking.

I am not counting off for this, but personally, I would prefer this without burley, although this is a personal preference and does not detract at all from the blend. I am just not a burley fan. Even so, this will become a regular smoke, the description is correct, this is very refreshing!

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Grape aroma is very strong in this one (as Yoda says). Here's the rub (Shakespeare). The smell is strong…the flavor…'not so much' as Jerry Seinfeld would say. This is another quality tobacco. Mild but with a definite push to ‘spicy-hot.' As many others have noted the Grape aroma is strong, but the smoking quality is very mild. I did not get the ‘citrus' that many others have noted, nor did I detect the maple and vanilla. The Latakia and Perique give it that nice ‘quality salsa' spiciness. It's not tongue bit or tongue burn but just a nice tongue-sting. I puffed a bunch, left the room, inhaled from my nose several times, walked back into my ‘shop' where I smoke my pipes and did Not smell any grape, honest swear to the Buddha. Here's where it gets interesting. Puffed up a ‘storm' went into the kitchen, washed some grapes, yep grapes, ate a few, went back and WOW! Nice flavor to this pipe tobacco. I have absolutely no idea why this did what it did with the grape fest. This is a mild pipe tobacco, BUT, it has some ‘spicy-hot' and some very subtle sweet, probably the VA. I love Burley and smoke a lot of it, quality burley usually like C&D Crooner but honestly I did Not taste the Burley in this one. I got the VA, most certainly got the Perique (spicy-hot), the Latakia is subdued and the ‘sauces' are so subtle to me to be way in the background. This is a wonderful blend. When I was smoking it I thought, “Ya know what? Someone (Captain Bob and Craig Tarler et al) really put a lot of thought into this, I can taste it.” This is a really good change of pace pipe tobacco.

Grumpy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpy (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a somewhat sweet fruity blend that has a pleasant flavor and room note. My other blends are tolerated by the wife, this is one she likes.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (54)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A nice change of pace, this weed is unique and very good, its nothing like those bland aromatics that tastes like hot air, this stuff is flavorfull , Burley, Virginias with some Latakia and Perique cased with a delicious flavor that dont mask the tobacco. Well done guys.

JTex80 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JTex80 (1)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I am very surprised at how well this blend turned out for me. I knew that coming from C&D, this blend would contain quality tobaccos, but I wasn't sure how I would respond to the particular flavorings, especially grape. This has to be the most unique tobacco I have tried, so far; and I view this particular uniqueness as a good thing.

The presentation of the tobaccos in the tin is very impressive; it contains quite a colorful array of tobaccos. The moisture level is just right, and the cut of the ribbons was a good choice. When I first opened the tin and smelled the unique smell of good tobacco and grape, I knew I was in for an interesting experience.

Part of what makes this blend so appealing is that it is such a full-bodied, complex blend of tobaccos, yet it seems to take the flavorings in a very "natural" way. Obviously, with the inclusion of Virginia, Burley, Oriental, Latakia, and Perique, this is a full-flavored, English-style blend, but I don't think I've tried such a heavy blend with flavorings like this. The description on the tin states that this blend is "finished with a refreshing flavor." I have to agree with this; for some strange reason, there is something refreshing about this blend, especially the added flavorings.

Throughout most of the smoke, the only topping I detect is the grape flavoring, although I'm sure that the other topping flavors contribute to the overall taste as well. Despite the unmistakable presence of grape, the wonderful tobacco flavors are not drowned out by the flavorings--this is clearly an English-style blend with flavors added to enhance the overall taste. Again, I think that this is what is so remarkable about this blend; the natural tobacco flavors are present throughout the smoke.

As with some aromatic blends, the flavoring slowly fades into the background throughout the bowl, while the natural tobacco flavors become even more prominent. This blend definitely changes characters as the smoke progresses. One thing that is particularly interesting to me is how the other flavorings (other than the grape) become noticeable later on during the smoke, albeit in a very gentle, subtle way. When the bowl is about 3/4 of the way smoked, I notice a bit more of a creamier flavoring. I suspect that this is some of the vanilla, maple, and walnut making themselves known.

In regards to room note, I don't know what to say about this. Although many pipe smokers can't easily smell the room note of their own smoke, I do find that certain aromatics do lend themselves to being noticed even by the smoker. With this blend, the aroma of creamy grape is evident immediately upon lighting the bowl. However, I'm not sure how this blend would smell to a person passing by. It seems as though the blend has a pleasant scent like most aromatics, but I would think that the presence of Latakia would make the room-note a bit less sweet than a typical aromatic.

After some contemplation, I decided that this blend would probably be better smoked in a pipe dedicated to aromatics. While it has the component tobaccos of a full, English-style blend, the added flavorings make this blend more suitable for a pipe used solely for aromatics. This blend truly defies typical classification of pipe tobaccos. It is, of course, an aromatic, but I think this is the only aromatic I've had that contains Latakia and Perique.

Well, I think that about sums up my impression of this blend. C&D has really given me a greater appreciation for the art of quality aromatics. This is a very smooth smoke, and unlike some aromatics, it smokes dry and does not leave a goopy mess in the pipe. I can certainly see Captain Bob's Blend as being a blend that I would want to keep in stock.

pjcarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjcarter (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Captain Bob's Blend

Just a little background on myself first. Maybe it'll make this review make more sense. I grew up in a Baptist tea totaler family. My grandfather smoked and drank himself out of a liver and bladder among other things. So, these types of libations were rather frowned upon. That being said, we never seemed to much mind a pipe smoker although there never were many of them around. I don't think my family did me a disservice, on the contrary I think it gave me a healthy respect for moderation. As I got older, I started to get a little suspicious of the anti-smoking movement for various reasons. A couple years ago I got very interested in pipes (one of my favorite bands in High School - a Christian band called The Newsboys has a guitar player named Jody Davis, the one who lives in AZ and makes REALLY beautiful pipes) and started doing some research. Long story short, I dived headlong into pipes and pipe tobacco.

I joined an online smoking community called My Pipes Community and met a lot of really great people there. One fellow in particular, Bob Coffey. Somewhat of an informal mentor, and a really great guy who also happens to have developed several blends of his own pipe tobacco. Shortly after I started smoking a pipe I received a sample of Captain Bob's Blend. Being a noob, the stuff was WAY out of my league but I could tell it was a high quality tobacco.

Over the course of the next year and a half I tried all kinds of pipe tobacco. My sense of smell and sense of taste are very acute and I tend to gravitate towards fuller flavors (very dark red wine, Guinness, well seasoned steak, maduro wrap cigars, English type tobaccos, etc…) and I gained an appreciation for very high quality, mostly non-aromatic pipe tobacco.

When the opportunity to really sit down and write a review on a bowl of Captain Bob's Blend, well, I jumped as quick as I could. I remember gaining a deep appreciation for it but beyond a few memories couldn't really tell you all that much. So here is my in depth review on Captain Bob's Blend, by Cornell & Diehl.

In preparation, I sat down with the list of ingredients. Tobacco: Red Virginia, Flu cured Kentucky Green River Burley, Carolina Virginia Brights, Ismir Turkish, Perique and Latakia. The topping (sauce) consists of grape, vanilla, orange, caramel, black walnut and maple. The pipe I chose to use was my Peterson Silver Cap straight billiard.

The first thing I did was take a whif of the jar, since smell and taste are so closely related. A lot of the reviews I have read on this blend concentrate on the grape scent/flavor. That is the predominant smell, but the first thing that hit me was the citrus. A nice little tang. The citrus and grape were tempered very well by vanilla. The blend is great to look at, it is very colorful. Each type of tobacco has its own shade and in some ways reminded me a little bit of a Picasso cubist-style painting. Unlike most topped tobaccos, this blend was not in the least goopy. It packed very easily.

The beginning of the bowl brought about some typical Virginia characteristics. Light, sweet but no tongue bite. It had another dimension, enhanced no doubt by the Turkish tobaccos. A very well rounded smoke for a light flavor, and the topping in no way overwhelmed the taste of the tobacco. I appreciated this aspect very much. As far as the aromatic properties are concerned, the grape and vanilla really complimented each other. Vanilla can be very bland by itself and grape can be just a bit “vertical” (for lack of a better description) in flavor. The orange seemed to stand alone while the other three combined to fill out the blend. The result is a very round scent - ball shaped if you will.

Room note is predominantly grape, enhanced of course by vanilla and maple.

I didn't have to re-light until I was well into the mid bowl. That was kind of nice as seeing the humidity level was about 2000% here in Southern Indiana. The burley starts to make itself known in the taste and nicotine content. Burley can be a bit thick for me sometimes but this was just enough to give the Virginia some balls, for lack of a better term. The English character started to make itself known but not in a typical, tangy Latakia sort of way. It gradually came into the room, unobtrusive and unannounced and very sophisticated. It started to make me wonder what the unsauced blend tastes like!

At this point it was apparent, this tobacco would most certainly be a crowd pleaser when walking on the river front. At the same time it will satisfy a pallet that needs a fuller, more complex flavor. I would also compare some of the flavor and aromatic properties to Autumn Evening (also by C&D) but not overwhelming in the maple and burley department. AE was a bit much for me.

Later in the bowl, the English tobaccos had made themselves very well known but again not in a moldy socks sort of way. The taste broadened in a way I've not experienced with pipe tobacco (some fine cigars perhaps) and at this point my analytical efforts took a hike. I sat back with my pipe and my beer and thought to myself “now THAT is what a well rounded, multi-faceted pipe tobacco SHOULD taste like!” Every puff made me forget what I was out there to do.

I should add at this point that cleanup is a breeze. No gooey dottle left to scrape out as with many aromatics.

Conclusion, this is a MAN'S aromatic tobacco. A lot of effort and a lot of thought went in to creating this blend. It is almost four dimensional.

purplehook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purplehook (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Probably the most unique tasting pipe tobacco I have ever smoked. That is mostly a good thing. I like grape. It has a great grape aroma and a very unique taste.

Mouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mouse (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a light English topped with several essences, most notable of which is grape. Nothing like it. I'm glad I found it and added it to my rotation. I found the topping a bit strong at first, but after a few weeks and a bit of airing it settled down to be a welcome alternative to the vapers and va's I normally smoke. I've noticed that most C&D blends benefit from a little aging and this blend is no exception.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)

Even after reading about this blend I was caught off guard by the grape aroma from this tobacco. Surprising and unique, it adds a wonderful flavor to a tobacco that tastes like it has tobacco flavor. The grape seems to give way to the Latakia and Perique for the last quarter of the bowl. There are other flavors in there, but that's what I notice. A nice grey ash that is never goopy and drops cleanly from the bowl. The aroma is pleasant and non-offensive. The moisture from the tin was darn near perfect for lighting with only minor breakup before stuffing. I can see how some would allot this a position in their daily rotation, I will definitely put it in my 3-4 times weekly. Uniquely flavored with real tobacco taste, it's a fresh light-up that doesn't require alot of focus to enjoy. I'd call it well-rounded and friendly. 3 1/2 stars

dajones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dajones (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Love the aroma in the tin, in the pouch, and in the pipe. Grapey, yes, but with other components. Smells stronger than it tastes; does not mask the underlying quality tobacco.

VERY pleasant note - not offensive to passers-by; indeed, intriguing and inviting ("What IS that?"). Highly recommended if you tend to smoke in, say, public parks and the like.

Flavoring stays to the end (unlike many other aromatics). That said, one caveat: this seems to burn hot and has bitten once or twice or thrice when puffing too fast. I have taken to blending it with a little burley to try and cool things down a bit. Conversely--given that this blend lights easy and stays lit--I sometimes add it to other, finickier blends as an accelerant!

So: very pleasing--and I am very pleased. Recommended. Thanks Cap'n Bob!

burnboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
burnboy (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed everything about this blend. To me, it resembles London Dock, from the 1960s Kentucky Club selections. Very refreshing.

Idahosmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idahosmoker (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As I write this review, please take into consideration that I am a new pipe smoker (of about only three months) and have transitioned over from cigarettes. Because of this, I have to be quite careful when smoking a pipe, as it is a habit for me to burn my tongue if I'm not paying attention.

Also, as my senses of taste and smell aren't as sensitive as most pipe smokers out there, I have had to smoke the more potent brands to get a "true" experience. I also prefer blends with a high nicotine content.

With all of this having been said, I have found CBB to be quite a wonderful and aromatic experience.

When I first opened up the package, the strong scent of grape assaulted my nostrils. It reminded me of either grape bubble gum or grape cool-aid. As I actually enjoy grape, this was not a big concern for me. I was somewhat concerned though that the grape flavoring would overpower the tobacco. This is not the case.

It lights well, and the aroma of grape is most assuredly there, yet it does not overpower the taste. There is also a strong underlining aroma of hay which I find compliments the fruitiness of this blend.

I have not had much tongue burn with this blend, and found that I can smoke it faster then most others. For me, this is a wonderful experience as the surrounding air soon fills with the sweet aroma of grape.

Personally, I have had trouble keeping it lit, though I contribute this to my own inexperience. Also, it is a wetter tobacco then I am used to, and must keep a pipe cleaner handy while smoking. I do plan on letting it air out for a few hours and will update my findings after that.

The smoke is full bodied, yet not overwhelming. I have found that I instinctively inhale through my nose quite often with this blend. It enhances the experience for me.

The nicotine content isn't as high as I prefer in my normal rotation, yet I find that this blend is a perfect nightcap for me, as I settle down into my favorite easy chair and delve into a good book.

In the end, I am forced to rate this as a three on the scale here, though it rates an 8.5 on my personal scale. The reasons being are that I do not normally smoke aromatics and the nicotine content is a bit less then I prefer. However, I do plan on keeping a constant stock of Captain Bob's Blend on hand as it always fills the spot when I simply need to relax.

I do indeed recommend it!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Totally unique in the annals of aromatic pipe tobacco! This is one that will disgust the grandiose pipe snob, but will delight most of the rest of us. The Grape Nehi scent is bold and obvious, but does not overpower the taste of the base english blend. It is everthing an aromatic pipe tobacco should be. No PG or chemical taste at all. Just a smooth english/aromatic blend, mild in Latakia and Perique, yet delightfully evident. I admit the grape scent is a little shocking and most unusual, but the sum of the smoking experience is indeed, greater than its parts.

BurghBelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurghBelly (5)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Got a couple of tins of this today, and after a long day of smoking, it was a refreshing taste of what tobacco is supposed to be, right out of the can. Broken flake may need a little rubbing, but even in a relatively new pipe it smoked very well. Kudos!

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

What a wonderful blend. Captain Bob, has put together a blend, I have been seeking for thirty five years. Top quality virginia, burley, and a whiff of perique and yes latakia. The blend has a wonderful aroma of grape and some other fruit topping, all held together by the perique and latakia. It burns cool and dry, and not a hint of tongue bite. I love this blend, and you should try it.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews of CBB. Craig Tarler (C&D) and I experimented over a period of three years to create the blend that I always wanted but could never find.

The result is a light English aromatic with unique character, taste and aroma. I used a very small amount of Latakia in this blend. Kind of like I use pepper on eggs. Just enough to know that it's there.

I am truly honored that Cornell & Diehl offers "Captain Bob's Blend" as one of their World-Renowned tobacco blends.

Enjoy a variety of tobacco blends. You will be rewarded and not tire out your taste buds!

Timberwolfer_21 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timberwolfer_21 (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have had the fortune of trying some of the quickly becoming legendary Captain Bob's Blend from Cornell and Diehl who put this blend together after working with Captain Bob - one of their loyal customers - for years until it ended up just right.

Now I am not normally much of an English blend kind of guy, but with the reviews of the crew, I just had to try it.

When I opened the bag, the grape aroma definitely hit me along with a chemical type smell that was no doubt the mixture with the latakia in it. The blend lit very well and stays lit after the charring light.

As with a lot of blends, I did not expect to taste the grape nuance as much as smell it prior to light, but this blend was different. The slightest taste of grape really melded these tobacco's together and provided and extremely enjoyable and tasty smoke.

I find myself reaching for this when I need a break from my all day smoke. It delivers a consistent smoke that I find myself yearning for more than most fill in blends.

I can see this blend as easily being an all day smoke.

Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Cap, I just tried this blend of yours and I have to say, it is the most interesting blend I have ever tried in 39 years. It smelled like grape Koolaide when I opened it and at first this really concerned me. I like some aromatics but I have never smelled grape scented tobacco like this. So, I loaded up my pipe to see what I was in for. The room note literally bloomed grape around me, not unpleasant but seemed so strange. I could taste more than grape though, I picked up other fruit flavors as well and as it burned down, I could pick up some of the tobacco tastes. I found that after smoking a whole bowl, it has to be the most gentle aromatic, and the flavor stayed with it all the way down. It was also the driest aromatic I've ever smoked, not a bit of gunk in my pipe and burned to a dark grey ash as the dottle, not a bit unburned. I found myself wanting to smoke another bowl very soon and as I am trying it I am finding I am enjoying this blend very much. My pipe does smell like grape Koolaide but what the heck, one bowl of Five Brothers burned that right out.

I have to recommend trying this blend! It is like none other you will try.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had read about this blend coming and was excited to try it out.

I got a small sample of it and here is my take: First impressions are very nice. I love the smell of the tobacco, you can smell its english just underneath the sweet smell of a fruit tree field. It makes me thinks of a Grape Nehi soda mixed with apricots.

It packed well in my pipe and lit just as easy. The smoking was very very pleasant. Smoke was abundant and thick, and hints of a fruity flavor mixed with a fine leather were clear.It was refreshing to smoke. The room note made my wife want to try it as well. She said that this blend was her favorite since it made the room smell so good. I had no tounge bite and I have been known to be a super puffer. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be buying more.

EDIT*

I smoked about 1.5 ounces of this blend. I have come to the realization that I just dont get along well with the heavy flavor casing on it. The three pipes i smoked it out of have such a ghosted flavor to them that I canot smoke anything else without tasting Grape. Each to their own. I will go somewhere else.

EDIT** 12/30/2011 I found my old stash of this. Man what a goober I was. This stuff is actually a great smoke. I am not real sure what i had going on when I made the previous edit. I think I was smoking way to many blends and just got "burned out" I would recommend this tobacco to almost anyone wanting a great smoke.

Lefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lefty (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I believe that C & D may have another hit on their hands. Captain Bob's Blend is a very pleasing combination of at least 5 or 6 different types of tobaccos with a very very small amount of Perique and Latakia.

In the bag it has a light grape aroma which is very nice but more complex than just grape flavoring, I also smell a touch of orange. The combinations of the different tobaccos and the light topping are very complementary making it a very pleasing enjoyable smoke.

If I had 1 complaint , I just wish the topping carried over to the pipe just a bit more. The full taste of all the different tobaccos truly comes through without any heavy topping or goopy mess

I am currently on my second pound of Captain Bob's Blend and have been enjoying it as my all day, everyday staple. I truly believe this is a very light aromatic that almost all smokers would enjoy.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Captain Bob is a great guy. I've read quite a few of his postings on various forums and he's always been especially candid about his creation, while being helpful and supportive to members. The pipe world could use more Captain Bob's. But his blend, I'm not so sure.

This stuff reeks. I bought two ounces, bulk, stuck it in an old C&D tin and threw it in my cabinet. I could smell it through the glass doors, five feet away. It was so bad I had to stash it atop my bookshelf with a few unsavory blends that I can't bear to throw away. The smell is odd. I know people are saying grape, but I don't get that. It smells like the rubber from fresh sneakers. Not that that's a bad thing, I kind of like the smell, but the problem is, that odd scent carries directly to the smoke. To me, it's not grape, it's not vanilla, it's not orange or even liquor. It's unlike anything I would like to smoke and I can't get used to it, not enough to finish off these two ounces.

It's not all bad. The tobacco is excellent, flavorful and ever present, unlike many aromatics that use cheap leaf. I can taste the Latakia, the Burley is a wonderful base, and the bit of Perique adds some heft. It's not goopy but it will probably ghost your pipe something awful. Even without the topping, this is a decent blend. But you have to like the topping and I've tried. Sorry Bob, but I do like the tin art.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

As much as I was forewarned by the reviews, I was still taken aback by the grape Kool Aid aroma and flavoring of CBB. The flavoring overpowers the light English components so significantly that I wonder why they didn't just apply it to cavendish instead. It is not offensive per se, but it's odd, making this erstwhile English the platypus of tobacco blends. I don't get it. If you want a solid aromatic, try Berry Good or Green River Vanilla by C&D, which aren't suffering from an identity crisis. I love the C&D blends, but CBB and Snug Harbor (another flavored light English, indicating a trend) are forgettable.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one -- a lot of people clearly like it, but I seriously disliked this blend. It burned hot, tasted a little too much like grape candy and bit way too hard. I appreciate the occasional aromatic and have a serious affection for good American-English blends, but this one fell far short in both categories. Try C&D's Epiphany if you want a 4-star blend of this type (IMO, of course).

HillbillyBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HillbillyBriar (3)
Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Extra Strong

The tin aroma is so strong it will permeate your tobacco cabinet and, quite frankly, a whole room with the strong smell of sweet grape. It completely overpowers everything around it.

After lighting, all I got is über grape with no tobacco flavor at all. Just hot, hollow grape and no support underneath it. The perfect stereotype of a bad aromatic. For the sake of full disclosure, I am reviewing this after only one bowl, but there is no way I would smoke a second. Just an unpleasant experience all around.

On a positive note, it was not a wet, goopy mess like other over-flavored aromatics (e.g., C&D Green River Vanilla). It actually came out of the tin at a reasonable moisture level. Too bad it does not have a reasonable flavor to go along with it.

I smoked this in a cob and the ghosting was so bad that I ended up throwing it out. Thanks for taking one for the team, Little Cob. RIP.