A tangy combination of Turkish and Latakia. A natural woodsy taste.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)

Smokies Smoke-Eaze is very clean tasting blend with just the right amount of Latakia. The Turkish in this blend takes point and the Latakia brings up the rear in admirable fashion; teamwork at its best. Considering the moisture level in this tobacco, I was surprised at how well it burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl and how hard I could push it without getting bit. I have yet to smoke this with others present, but I have smoked it in my basement lounge without the usual "You've been smoking Latakia, I noticed" comment from my wife or the "Did one of the dogs crap in the basement?" query from my son. Based upon this, I can assume the room note is tolerable, perhaps even pleasant. After trying many Balkan blends, I believe I may have found my favorite. SSE is pure tobacco pleasure without any extraneous flavorings or weird aftertaste. If you're a fan of Balkan blends, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original Meerschaum

Purchased From: Gatlin-Burlier website

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (144)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm surprised this one doesn't have more reviews, as it's a very unique and enjoyable Balkan. In fact, it's one of the most distinctive blends of its sort on the market - I've never tried another blend this reminded me of! This is not a sweet blend, although it does have some "high" notes. Rather, it's a very savory, earthy mixture -- it's in the same vein as GLP's Charing Cross, only different. The description says it's basically lots of Turkish leaf with some latakia thrown in, and I can definitely say the flavor is entirely in keeping with its billing. The is a "Balkan" in the sense that the primary note is from the orientals, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a base of burlies (then again, maybe not). In some ways it reminds me of a premium Turkish cigarette. I wouldn't call it "complex" -- I think "exotic" is a better word.

This is the only G-Burlier blend I've tried that didn't have a pronounced topping or casing, although it does have a little PG. The burning qualities are excellent, and this stuff doesn't have a bite in it.

I can't say I smoke this all the time, but there are days when nothing else will really do. Three stars, and some might be inclined to give it four. I definitely recommend it for Balkan hounds, if for no other reason than its uniqueness.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

A good English style mixture with Turkish and Latakia tobaccos. Smokes well without relights after the initial charing light and one relight. Some Latakia, but not a heavy latakia blend.Smokes to the bottom with dry gray ash. I like the taste and smokability of this tobacco from Gatlin-Burlier. These folks, located in Gatlinburg, Tn. are very friendly to pipe smokers and they are willing to impart a lot of information about pipes and tobacco.