A tangy combination of Turkish and Latakia. A natural woodsy taste.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
None Detected, Mild to Medium
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm surprised this one doesn't have more reviews, as it's a very unique and enjoyable Balkan. In fact, it's one of the most distinctive blends of its sort on the market - I've never tried another blend this reminded me of! This is not a sweet blend, although it does have some "high" notes. Rather, it's a very savory, earthy mixture -- it's in the same vein as GLP's Charing Cross, only different. The description says it's basically lots of Turkish leaf with some latakia thrown in, and I can definitely say the flavor is entirely in keeping with its billing. The is a "Balkan" in the sense that the primary note is from the orientals, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a base of burlies (then again, maybe not). In some ways it reminds me of a premium Turkish cigarette. I wouldn't call it "complex" -- I think "exotic" is a better word.

This is the only G-Burlier blend I've tried that didn't have a pronounced topping or casing, although it does have a little PG. The burning qualities are excellent, and this stuff doesn't have a bite in it.

I can't say I smoke this all the time, but there are days when nothing else will really do. Three stars, and some might be inclined to give it four. I definitely recommend it for Balkan hounds, if for no other reason than its uniqueness.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

A good English style mixture with Turkish and Latakia tobaccos. Smokes well without relights after the initial charing light and one relight. Some Latakia, but not a heavy latakia blend.Smokes to the bottom with dry gray ash. I like the taste and smokability of this tobacco from Gatlin-Burlier. These folks, located in Gatlinburg, Tn. are very friendly to pipe smokers and they are willing to impart a lot of information about pipes and tobacco.