A tangy combination of Turkish and latakia. A natural woodsy taste.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
Blend TypeOther
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste
3.2
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)

Smokies Smoke-Eaze is very clean tasting blend with just the right amount of Latakia. The Turkish in this blend takes point and the Latakia brings up the rear in admirable fashion; teamwork at its best. Considering the moisture level in this tobacco, I was surprised at how well it burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl and how hard I could push it without getting bit. I have yet to smoke this with others present, but I have smoked it in my basement lounge without the usual "You've been smoking Latakia, I noticed" comment from my wife or the "Did one of the dogs crap in the basement?" query from my son. Based upon this, I can assume the room note is tolerable, perhaps even pleasant. After trying many Balkan blends, I believe I may have found my favorite. SSE is pure tobacco pleasure without any extraneous flavorings or weird aftertaste. If you're a fan of Balkan blends, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original Meerschaum

Purchased From: Gatlin-Burlier website

JimInks (1980)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Cyprian latakia is smoky and woodsy with a touch of sweetness, and is a moderate component. The Oriental/Turkish adds some dry wood and mild earth notes along with a pinch of spice that well compliments the latakia. They say there’s no topping here, but there’s a very light sweetness present that doesn’t come from the listed ingredients. I suspect there’s more here than admitted, mainly because the light strands of tobacco do not fit the given description, and has the taste of Virginia cavendish. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. It burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mild to medium consistent taste/ Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a nice after taste. It could be an an all day smoke as it is not for those who want a heavy latakia English, except as a change of pace. Smoke-Eaze is an appropriate name for this mixture.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm surprised this one doesn't have more reviews, as it's a very unique and enjoyable Balkan. In fact, it's one of the most distinctive blends of its sort on the market - I've never tried another blend this reminded me of! This is not a sweet blend, although it does have some "high" notes. Rather, it's a very savory, earthy mixture -- it's in the same vein as GLP's Charing Cross, only different. The description says it's basically lots of Turkish leaf with some latakia thrown in, and I can definitely say the flavor is entirely in keeping with its billing. The is a "Balkan" in the sense that the primary note is from the orientals, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a base of burlies (then again, maybe not). In some ways it reminds me of a premium Turkish cigarette. I wouldn't call it "complex" -- I think "exotic" is a better word.

This is the only G-Burlier blend I've tried that didn't have a pronounced topping or casing, although it does have a little PG. The burning qualities are excellent, and this stuff doesn't have a bite in it.

I can't say I smoke this all the time, but there are days when nothing else will really do. Three stars, and some might be inclined to give it four. I definitely recommend it for Balkan hounds, if for no other reason than its uniqueness.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)

Smokies Smoke-Ease is only one of many fine blends offered by the Gatlin-Burlier smoke shop in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. This ribbon-cut blend smokes cool and dry right out of the bag. The Orientals and Latakia are balanced very well here; the influence of the Latakia is of mild/medium intensity while the Orientals provide the primary taste. The blend components are of high quality; no undesirable pieces (midribs, leaf veins) were encountered. Lighting the bowl is a pleasure with the medium-fine ribbon cut. The initial flavor for me was that of Latakia, followed shortly after by the Orientals. The taste of the Latakia seemed to diminish as I smoked down the bowl with the Orientals providing the bulk of flavor. The finish was about the same as the middle of the bowl. The nicotine strength is mild/medium. The Latakia adds smoothness and a little more complexity. The body of smoke is of moderate richness. I smoked it in a BBB Sovereign sandblast Dublin and a Missouri Meerschaum. If you are ever in Gatlinburg, you should visit the Gatlin-Burlier. The staff are very friendly and helpful and will spend considerable time with you. The manager gave me some homemade Pumpernickel bread.

Pipe Used: BBB Sovereign Dublin, Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: The Gatlin-Burlier

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

A good English style mixture with Turkish and Latakia tobaccos. Smokes well without relights after the initial charing light and one relight. Some Latakia, but not a heavy latakia blend.Smokes to the bottom with dry gray ash. I like the taste and smokability of this tobacco from Gatlin-Burlier. These folks, located in Gatlinburg, Tn. are very friendly to pipe smokers and they are willing to impart a lot of information about pipes and tobacco.