A tangy combination of Turkish and Latakia. A natural woodsy taste.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)

Smokies Smoke-Eaze is very clean tasting blend with just the right amount of Latakia. The Turkish in this blend takes point and the Latakia brings up the rear in admirable fashion; teamwork at its best. Considering the moisture level in this tobacco, I was surprised at how well it burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl and how hard I could push it without getting bit. I have yet to smoke this with others present, but I have smoked it in my basement lounge without the usual "You've been smoking Latakia, I noticed" comment from my wife or the "Did one of the dogs crap in the basement?" query from my son. Based upon this, I can assume the room note is tolerable, perhaps even pleasant. After trying many Balkan blends, I believe I may have found my favorite. SSE is pure tobacco pleasure without any extraneous flavorings or weird aftertaste. If you're a fan of Balkan blends, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original Meerschaum

Purchased From: Gatlin-Burlier website

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm surprised this one doesn't have more reviews, as it's a very unique and enjoyable Balkan. In fact, it's one of the most distinctive blends of its sort on the market - I've never tried another blend this reminded me of! This is not a sweet blend, although it does have some "high" notes. Rather, it's a very savory, earthy mixture -- it's in the same vein as GLP's Charing Cross, only different. The description says it's basically lots of Turkish leaf with some latakia thrown in, and I can definitely say the flavor is entirely in keeping with its billing. The is a "Balkan" in the sense that the primary note is from the orientals, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a base of burlies (then again, maybe not). In some ways it reminds me of a premium Turkish cigarette. I wouldn't call it "complex" -- I think "exotic" is a better word.

This is the only G-Burlier blend I've tried that didn't have a pronounced topping or casing, although it does have a little PG. The burning qualities are excellent, and this stuff doesn't have a bite in it.

I can't say I smoke this all the time, but there are days when nothing else will really do. Three stars, and some might be inclined to give it four. I definitely recommend it for Balkan hounds, if for no other reason than its uniqueness.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The latakia is smoky and woodsy with a touch of sweetness, and is a moderate component. The Oriental/Turkish adds some woody and mild earth notes along with a pinch of spice that well compliments the latakia. They say there’s no topping here, but there’s a very light sweetness present that doesn’t come from the listed ingredients. I suspect there’s more here than admitted, mainly because the light strands of tobacco do not fit the given description, and has the taste of Virginia cavendish. All in all, it burns very well with a mild to medium consistent taste, and is a rather pleasant smoke. If you like this kind of blend, it could be a several bowls a day experience as it is not for those who want a heavy latakia English, except as a change of pace. Smoke-Eaze is an appropriate name for this mixture.

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)

A good English style mixture with Turkish and Latakia tobaccos. Smokes well without relights after the initial charing light and one relight. Some Latakia, but not a heavy latakia blend.Smokes to the bottom with dry gray ash. I like the taste and smokability of this tobacco from Gatlin-Burlier. These folks, located in Gatlinburg, Tn. are very friendly to pipe smokers and they are willing to impart a lot of information about pipes and tobacco.