Stoved red Virginia is combined with lemon Virginia and restoved. Straight red Virginia is added for sweetness.

Strength
Taste

2.6
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After so many average to poor reviews of Yorktown I was hesitant to try this blend, but was convinced by a You Tube video from C&D. I’m glad I was as I find myself only the second four star review of this blend. The pouch scent is quite inviting and sweet which led me to believe that there might be some added topping to Yorktown. After smoking several bowls, I don’t think that’s the case, but rather a result of the processing of the Virginia's, but that’s a guess. There is no bite, and it smokes sweet. It will burn a little hot if pushed. Also, if not smoked with the proper cadence, it can get a little ashy. But if smoked properly, the rewards are worth it. While there is very little complexity, a bit of a surprise given the components, I found it quite tasty. My only issue with this blend would be around cellaring it. It arrives a bit dry and I prefer to smoke it that way. But without the moisture content needed to get the best results from aging I am hesitant to buy larger quantities of it. This may likely be an issue with the retailer rather than C&D. I have finally found a bulk Virginia blend from C&D that hits the mark!

It's been in the neighborhood of 5 years since this blend has been reviewed. Perhaps some changes have occurred.

I find this to be the best straight Virginia I've smoked. The flavors are rich and delicious. Raisins and hay with ample sweetness. There's also a touch of spice. There is some complexity, but not a lot. Then again, I wouldn't expect a lot. Medium bodied with the flavors running medium to full. It's just a wonderful smoke. There's not even the hint of a bite.

I also see a lot of potential here for use as a blending component. If I ever get around to building my own English or Balkan these are the Virginias I will use.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

The stoved red and lemon Virginias offer a burst of citrus, stewed dark fruit, a little earth and grass, along with a decent spice hit from the lemon Va. The red Virginia is mildly tangy fruit with a little earth and a hint of spice. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Mildly complex and well balanced, you’ll notice every nuance in virtually every puff. It's a little dry, so I slightly moistened it to slow the burn rate and bring out a little more of the flavors. Burns fairly cool and clean, and requires few relights as it easily turns to ash. Won’t bite, and I experienced no harshness, though I do recommend smoking at a moderate pace. Has a pleasant sweet after taste that lingers just a little. A very easy going all day smoke that would make a good mixer, too. Three and half stars.

RedDirtBlueSkies Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RedDirtBlueSkies (4)

When I first received this blend it was super dry, but that is what I've come to expect from C&D bulk. I was underwhelmed by the bag note, though I could smell a very slight sweetness, but I really had to go looking for it. I decided to try this in a cob first, and that was a mistake. I think because of the open draft of the cob and the fact that the tobacco was so dry, this blend burned super hot. There is a spiciness to the blend already and if it burns too hot it just over amplifies this. After I switched to briar, I was able to get a little more of the flavors from it, but that spicy note is always there in the background. If you sip this, there is a nice bread/toast flavor that comes through. The retro hale is loaded with the sweet dried fruit flavors, so it allowed me to vary the experience adding that needed complexity. This blend can be harsh and gets an ashy taste pretty quick if you let it, but what surprised me was the last third ramps up in flavor adding that fruit note to the toasty flavor on the palate.

This is not a bad VA, but because I had to really focus on it to get what I wanted it would not be something that I purchase again. I think this blend could very greatly with the pipe used, so I'll experiment with what I have left. Someone mentioned using this as a blending tobacco and I think that could be a good idea since there is a lot of sweetness here, especially if it was able to pick up some moisture from the another tobacco. Pressing this with an oriental could be really nice.

Pipe Used: MM Patriot, Bent Duca Carlo

Age When Smoked: New bag

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yorktown is a short-cut medium ribbon with a tin aroma which is earthy and grassy, a very natural scent.

The flavor is herbal and, again, grassy. There is a light touch of sweetness, simple and rustic with a vague citric quality. Overall, there is an impression of rawness and earth which gives this blend a homey, rural quality.

Try this if you want a rustic and straightforward Virginia. It is pleasant and inoffensive. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (178)

An interesting blend that has a peculiar combination of bright, slightly earthy Virginia flavor with very mellow and cool smoking characteristics. I point this out because most blends comprised of this much sugary bright leaf have a tendency to bite, or at the very least burn somewhat hot.

According to Cornell and Diehl, Yorktown is a combination of red & bright Virginia, both stoved and unstoved, finished with a bit of black Cavendish. It’s also the only mixture they produce that contains stoved bright leaf. The result? Yorktown has flavor that’s naturally sweet and toasty. The stoved leaf seems to round things out, while also lending a good measure of bottom-end to the overall taste. By mid bowl, Yorktown sweetens some and the flavor gains more depth.

I enjoy smoking this mixture. It’s simple but still quite good. Yorktown is lightly nuanced & delicately sweet with plenty of natural tobacco flavor and a touch of spice. This is also a good blend for seasoning new pipes. It does arrive a bit too dry for me, so I chose to re-hydrate it to my liking with some distilled water which worked perfectly.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (151)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Short ribbon cut of mid to light brown tobacco. My bag came tinder dry.

Bag note is wet hay and grass.

This is a mild to medium fairly sweet tobacco with a very grassy profile. I get some citrus notes but none of the dried fruit other reviewers have noted. The smoke can be a bit acidic and harsh. Tends towards the hot as might be expected from any Va in a ribbon or shag form.

This is an easy, simple smoke that might be a good starting point for a transitioning cigarette smoker. Veteran Va lovers will probably not be swayed from the numerous flakes that offer a more complex experience than Yorktown can deliver.

Not a bad smoke by any stretch, but not for me.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)

The red virginia components mentioned in the description encouraged me to try this blend. I am a dedicated red virginia smoker, prefering the depth of flavor and natural sweetness. My sample was somewhat dry, but still within the range that I consider smokeable. The charing light did not reveal the bitterness that some other C&D blends have produced during my testing. The flavor was consistent throughout. I found the flavor acceptable, but never detected the subtle sweetness that I expected from the red virginias. The flavor was never very exciting. The tobacco burned cleanly to the bottom with no tongue bite.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (7)

Upon opening jar, sweet smell of tobacco. One of my favorite Virginia's but I am also a hoarder and do not smoke it often. It is dry tobacco and I have learned to smoke it slow, it can bite a little. My jar is 17 years old and the pipe tobacco still smokes great.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Bulk from Cornell & Diehl

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (132)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I thought I was going to love this, but to me it tasted too much like cigarettes. It has a good nic hit, which I usually love. But this tobacco put a bad taste in my mouth and stomach. Well, it was not THAT bad :)

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I had high hopes for this one but I must say I'm just terribly disappointed. No virginia sweetness detected at all. None of the hay-like flavor or any other attributes I look for in a good straight virginia blend. Bland and boring that leaves an unpleasant musty aftertaste. I did mix it 50/50 with Stokkebye's Sweet Virginia and that made for a pleasant smoke. If your looking for a good inexpensive straight virginia blend I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (46)

Another winner of a Virginia blend from C&D. This one is better with my favorite Scotch than some of the others. It stands up and the flavor blends well the malt of the whisky. I smoke it more in the evening either with whisky or a good tea blend from across the pond.

Try it in your medium sized pipes. It's a dandy.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

Hmm I had great expectations for this stuff, being a fan of C&D's VA blends and all, but I'm not sure what to make of it now that I've tried it. The aroma is very musty, like an old book. The taste, well its also reminiscent of a musty old book. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to taste. The lighter colored leaf is the color of dead grass, with black dots on it. I'm not sure if this is mold of some sort or if its just the dust from the stoved leaf. However, this combined with the overall dullness and mustiness of the tobacco makes me almost suspect that I have received some tobacco that had gotten wet and dried back out. Very strange, I'll have to order some more in the future and compare it to the rather dismal offering that I have tried.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Briar Fox is the C&D virgina I use as a guide to rate other C&D virginias. Yorktown was a little dull for me; just middle of the road. There was nothing too bright nor too strong. The tobaccos are of high quality but it was just boring. I will mix it with a touch of oriental or deer tongue to finish the batch and I will probably not purchase more. BTW, I am using the same review to rate Ridin' the Raid since I had the same experience.

Sometimes you wonder when buying bulk if you get the correct tobacco. My pouch tastes like a medium English dominated by Oriental leaf. Sort of a Durbar clone. A quality blend, it won't make my top ten at this time.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

I concur with the esteemed reviewers before me that this is a nice VA that could be an all-dayer for some or a good evening smoke to finish off the day. Visually appealing with shades of gold & brown, nice cut for easy packing & lighting, burns nice and even to gray ash and leaves the pipe clean & dry. Nice citrusy flavors are there at the start & through 1/2 the bowl with a light sweetness here & there for balance. Subtle spice notes now & then. Becomes more full as you near the end of the smoke. I notice slight "ashiness" at this point but it is not unpleasant. I had no gurgle trouble at all and used no cleaners till the smoke was done and the ash emptied. The pipe I used was a full bent carved IL Ceppo apple that is exclusively a VA pipe. This is a dry smoking pipe in most cases, but I have had good results with other pipes including a coupla' straights. As advised by the others, keep your puffing moderate or you could fry your tongue a bit. Good VA flavors, smokes & burns well...not bad. Works for me.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another excellent go to tobacco for nice smoke after dinner.

I packed this in a Bjarne Brandy Glass (A) and gently glided over the tobacco with a lit match, before firing up the second mmatch. I immediately detected the taste of a mild Lemon, which gradually became an almost full delightful Virginia. This blend needs to be smoked very slow as not to cause tongue bite.

As I was nearing the end of the smoke I could taste just a bit of sweetness but not overwhelming. This tobacco really needs to have a chance to entice a dedicated Virginia Connoisseur, the first 7 to 10 puffs leaves you wondering if this tobacco is really that satsifying; It is, very much so. I noticed this blend needs a little more attention when it comes to tamping, but seemed to me to be a very even buring tobacco.

For those who have never had the pleasure of a Virginia Tobacco, beware this is a medium to full taste with more of an emphasis on the full. Myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the rich tasteful tobaccos and I do smoke this on occasions.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

On opening the bag one is greated with a very mild tobacco aroma, Virginian. The tobacco is a mixture of yellow to medium brown tobbacos. Packing and lighting is easy.

The taste is a simple Virginia smoke, and remains consistent throughout the bowl. There is a mild sweetness that is very satisfying. This should be smoked relatively slowly to avoid tongue bite. I find it excellent in a bent bulldog pipe.

This is an excellent smoke for Virginia lovers looking for something that can be an all day smoke. Also, its a good introductory Virginia for smokers of aromatics looking to try straight tobacco blends.