Stoved red Virginia is combined with lemon Virginia and restoved. Straight red Virginia is added for sweetness.

Strength
Taste

2.6

It's been in the neighborhood of 5 years since this blend has been reviewed. Perhaps some changes have occurred.

I find this to be the best straight Virginia I've smoked. The flavors are rich and delicious. Raisins and hay with ample sweetness. There's also a touch of spice. There is some complexity, but not a lot. Then again, I wouldn't expect a lot. Medium bodied with the flavors running medium to full. It's just a wonderful smoke. There's not even the hint of a bite.

I also see a lot of potential here for use as a blending component. If I ever get around to building my own English or Balkan these are the Virginias I will use.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)

Another winner of a Virginia blend from C&D. This one is better with my favorite Scotch than some of the others. It stands up and the flavor blends well the malt of the whisky. I smoke it more in the evening either with whisky or a good tea blend from across the pond.

Try it in your medium sized pipes. It's a dandy.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yorktown is a short-cut medium ribbon with a tin aroma which is earthy and grassy, a very natural scent.

The flavor is herbal and, again, grassy. There is a light touch of sweetness, simple and rustic with a vague citric quality. Overall, there is an impression of rawness and earth which gives this blend a homey, rural quality.

Try this if you want a rustic and straightforward Virginia. It is pleasant and inoffensive. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

Hmm I had great expectations for this stuff, being a fan of C&D's VA blends and all, but I'm not sure what to make of it now that I've tried it. The aroma is very musty, like an old book. The taste, well its also reminiscent of a musty old book. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to taste. The lighter colored leaf is the color of dead grass, with black dots on it. I'm not sure if this is mold of some sort or if its just the dust from the stoved leaf. However, this combined with the overall dullness and mustiness of the tobacco makes me almost suspect that I have received some tobacco that had gotten wet and dried back out. Very strange, I'll have to order some more in the future and compare it to the rather dismal offering that I have tried.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Briar Fox is the C&D virgina I use as a guide to rate other C&D virginias. Yorktown was a little dull for me; just middle of the road. There was nothing too bright nor too strong. The tobaccos are of high quality but it was just boring. I will mix it with a touch of oriental or deer tongue to finish the batch and I will probably not purchase more. BTW, I am using the same review to rate Ridin' the Raid since I had the same experience.

Sometimes you wonder when buying bulk if you get the correct tobacco. My pouch tastes like a medium English dominated by Oriental leaf. Sort of a Durbar clone. A quality blend, it won't make my top ten at this time.

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)

The red virginia components mentioned in the description encouraged me to try this blend. I am a dedicated red virginia smoker, prefering the depth of flavor and natural sweetness. My sample was somewhat dry, but still within the range that I consider smokeable. The charing light did not reveal the bitterness that some other C&D blends have produced during my testing. The flavor was consistent throughout. I found the flavor acceptable, but never detected the subtle sweetness that I expected from the red virginias. The flavor was never very exciting. The tobacco burned cleanly to the bottom with no tongue bite.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

I concur with the esteemed reviewers before me that this is a nice VA that could be an all-dayer for some or a good evening smoke to finish off the day. Visually appealing with shades of gold & brown, nice cut for easy packing & lighting, burns nice and even to gray ash and leaves the pipe clean & dry. Nice citrusy flavors are there at the start & through 1/2 the bowl with a light sweetness here & there for balance. Subtle spice notes now & then. Becomes more full as you near the end of the smoke. I notice slight "ashiness" at this point but it is not unpleasant. I had no gurgle trouble at all and used no cleaners till the smoke was done and the ash emptied. The pipe I used was a full bent carved IL Ceppo apple that is exclusively a VA pipe. This is a dry smoking pipe in most cases, but I have had good results with other pipes including a coupla' straights. As advised by the others, keep your puffing moderate or you could fry your tongue a bit. Good VA flavors, smokes & burns well...not bad. Works for me.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another excellent go to tobacco for nice smoke after dinner.

I packed this in a Bjarne Brandy Glass (A) and gently glided over the tobacco with a lit match, before firing up the second mmatch. I immediately detected the taste of a mild Lemon, which gradually became an almost full delightful Virginia. This blend needs to be smoked very slow as not to cause tongue bite.

As I was nearing the end of the smoke I could taste just a bit of sweetness but not overwhelming. This tobacco really needs to have a chance to entice a dedicated Virginia Connoisseur, the first 7 to 10 puffs leaves you wondering if this tobacco is really that satsifying; It is, very much so. I noticed this blend needs a little more attention when it comes to tamping, but seemed to me to be a very even buring tobacco.

For those who have never had the pleasure of a Virginia Tobacco, beware this is a medium to full taste with more of an emphasis on the full. Myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the rich tasteful tobaccos and I do smoke this on occasions.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

On opening the bag one is greated with a very mild tobacco aroma, Virginian. The tobacco is a mixture of yellow to medium brown tobbacos. Packing and lighting is easy.

The taste is a simple Virginia smoke, and remains consistent throughout the bowl. There is a mild sweetness that is very satisfying. This should be smoked relatively slowly to avoid tongue bite. I find it excellent in a bent bulldog pipe.

This is an excellent smoke for Virginia lovers looking for something that can be an all day smoke. Also, its a good introductory Virginia for smokers of aromatics looking to try straight tobacco blends.