John's most popular blend. A combination of Burleys give this a nutty and slightly sweet taste with a wonderful room note. Best smoked in a Corn Cob pipe.

BrandJohn Patton
Blended ByJohn Patton / Rich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins.com
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
Strength
Taste
3.4

I'm amazed at how few reviews this blend has. I think it's a terrific burley smoke. A previous reviewer mentioned it has a little taste of CH and PA, and I agree. The chocolate notes are very PA-like, and the burley sweetness seems more CH-like,with a little nuttiness that you'd expect from a burley mixture. Easy to pack, easy to keep lit, burns evenly and consistently to the very end with no goop. If you like Solani's Aged Burley Flake, you will find this a very pleasing change, and I could see switching from one to the other just to keep your burley smoking life interesting. I'd say there is a little resemblance in the burley profile to several Uhle's and P&W blends, though none quite have the burley-chocolate taste that this has. I'd rate this as one of my top ten favorite burley blends.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For a burley smoker this is a wonderful blend. It is mild, biteless, has lots of taste and has the old fashion burley aroma and flavor. It is not complex, it is not fancy, but it is a good blend. It is an all day type of blend that satisfies. It is of course burley with a flavoring reminding me of chocolate but not powerfully so. It is great in a cob. It comes at the perfect moisture level. It is an all brown tobacco, and the pouch aroma is burley with a sweet aroma. It packs easy, it lites on the first light and it gives a nice mild smooth flavor to the smoker. It smoked all the way doen to a grey ash without having to relight and burns a little slower than some of John's other blends. If your looking for complex, this is not it, if you want a good all day blend, this is it.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I am pleased to be able to review a John Patton blend at last. JP seems to be something of a burley champion, in particular a champion of Carter Hall. Moe's Confetti is a little like CH, a little like Prince Albert, and a little like neither.

I have tried MC in several pipes and am trying to figure out what he has used in the blend. It has a very pleasant taste, doesn't burn, and produces a great deal of smoke. There is the Pinkerton and Middleton nutty flavour in there, but something a little sweeter and fragrant as well. My only quibble is that it burns quite quickly, and I wondered if he might have used a little 5 Brothers in the mix. Knowing JP from his forum posts, I can only assume that if it burns quickly it does so for a reason, and that I shall find out that reason in due course.

Pace John Patton, and at the risk of insulting one who seems to be a great benefactor to the pipe fraternity, MC is a great blender. I have been able to produce my own version of Count Pulaski by combining MC with Altadis Backwoods. With the same ingredients, but varying the combination, I can almost replicate 4noggins Down by the River. Not quite though -- Rich is way ahead of me in the blending department. I find that the confetti really goes well with the Backwoods aromatic flavour.

Will be ordering more: thanks John Patton

Wy Cob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wy Cob (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellant smoke I'll definitely be buying some more.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Simple recipe. 1 part Carter Hall and 1 part Walgreen's Blender's Gold brand Golden Burley. Nothing special here.

krumpelman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krumpelman (10)

What can I say about this blend, except that right now it's my favorite. It definitely is best in a cob, but also a great smoke in a clean briar. I bet a meer would do very well with this blend as well.

A great burley, just a little bit of sweetness, and very creamy. I have not had this blend bite, even when I tried. Lit very well with no drying needed. Stays lit as long as I tamp. I have put a pound of this on my christmas list, just hoping somebody comes through with it!

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

Last summer I really smoked a lot of this, sitting on the porch.....for me this is a truly relaxing smoke. Slightly sweet, not goopy at all, very nice nutty taste, and terrific room note. Very recommended.