Red Virginia and unsweetened black Cavendish (Kentucky Green River Burley) are mixed in a blend that is reminiscent of the old Rattray's 'Dark Fragrant.'

Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

My sleeper pick for favorite new tobacco of 2010!

I loved the strength and the sweetness (natural), of the leaf. The Burley Cavendish was mixed expertly with the quality Virginia. It burned nice and dry with nary a nip.

I've decided that extolling the virtues of Winchester without sounding truly excited is impossible. This is great stuff!

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

C&D?s Winchester features a gently sweet/zesty Va melded with a velvety Cavendish to produce a creamy, luxurious non-aromatic smoke. Sip on this one and allow wisps of smoke to wreathe through the nasal passages while the full mouth-feel of the Cavendish washes across your palate. The honest tobacco taste is manly: assertive without being harsh; sweet without being saccharine; and earthy without being bitter.

Easy to light and burn; good smoke volume; medium nicotine hit; nice alternative for smokers who are tired of the ubiquitous, overworked condiments: Latakia and Perique. This works best in a well seasoned pipe with, in my experience, a medium capacity bowl (I use a ¼-bent bulldog, ~17mm). It puts me in a serene, contemplative mood. Can you tell I like it?

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This was a surprise for me. I had never heard of it. I was ordering sample of C&D from my tobacconist and checked it off. Wow, I like tobaccos that you can smoke often and this one can be smoked all day every day. It's funny in that the first few bowls didn't rock me...kind of like GL Pease's Stratford but when you just TASTE it a few times it grows on you. I admit I'm hooked now and it is one of my favorite C&D blends. It hits the rotation daily.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Winchester is good Virginia blended with quality black cavendish. This means that it gives the smoker a multilayered but never cloying sweetness. One will taste the warm, bracing flavor of simple red Virginia leaf, which has, in and of itself, an underlying sweetness. Couple this with Cornell & Diehl's black cavendish, the single most honest and masterly black cavendish to be found today and you have a combination of mere mild sweetness and a genteel, restrained sweetness that common aromatics could never aspire to. There is true tobacco flavor here, but it flirts with you from behind a voluptuous, velvet curtain. It puts me in mind of a seemingly proper, but slightly naughty Southern hostess.

theredstrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theredstrat (4)

This is my first %100 non-aromatic. It makes a great transition blend in that respect. Very mild comparatively, however it never tastes flat or dull. Always rich and satisfying. This blend showcases all of the flavors I was looking for in my aromatics but could never quite find under the casing of those blends.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)

For me this is a wonderful everyday Virginia. By no means a powerhouse of flavour, it rewards slow, relaxed smoking by revealing subtle Virginia sweetness in whatever size of pipe I may choose. Totally without bite or bitterness if smoked at a sensible pace, it becomes the tobacco equivalent of an old and valued friend, well suited to relaxing times of quietness and contemplation. Delightful!

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

I Like it. Good clean tobacco smoke. Sweet Red Va, and a cav condiment. Not quite like anything I have tried before- and I appreciate that. I love having my boundaries challenged. This is a great, solid, tasty smoke only made better by an interesting historical name. Starts with solid tobacco taste, but gets sweeter as you go. An experience worth having....

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

Another good vabur from C&D. The roundness of the black cav and the sharp sweetness of the red va are an efficient combination. Much smoother than most red va blends i've tried. This stuff doesn't jump out and grab you by the neck but it's a solid natural tobacco blend that I enjoy on occasion. Since I'm not a huge fan of red va's this won't be a regular in my rotation but I may come back to this one once my never-ending exploration of C&D's proliferation of blends is...uhhh...complete.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

As noted, in part, at C&D?s web site:

"Winchester - the city, not the rifle - is strategically located at the mouth of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Winchester was the most fought over town of the Civil War. It changed hands 72 times and was the site of three major battles.?

Winchester (VA) changed hands 72 times in the Civil War? So neither the Confederacy nor the Union could WIN WINchester (for any length of time) but which side finally WON WINchester? It makes no matter now but the winsome WINchester, the tobacco, WON me over. This is another nice blend from C&D that I found to be on the medium to strong side with natural, tobacco flavor. At times, it had cigar-like notes about it. At other times, it could be ?red Virginia sweet? and flavorful. I also noted that in some pipes it did grow a bit harsh towards the bottom third of the bowl but this could have been because of an inadequate cake. In most well caked pipes this was not a problem and proved to be a great smoke from beginning to end. This is not an everyday smoke for my tastes but it is a real nice after dinner smoke on the front porch.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.7 out of 10.

Blade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade (6)

This blend comes a little moist to smoke straight off and requires a little air time, especially since the cavendish makes the broken flake a little heavy and needs a little coaxing to burn properly- not a problem, just a note.

No evolution to this smoke, just a constant enjoyable experience first light to ash. The cavendish provides a sugary component, and the Virginias, are midrange and tangy, a perky flavor hinting at citrus that mixes well with the blend. The burley adds a little dryness and body completing the experience.

Nothing to write home about, just smooth, mellow, flavorful, a little on the sweet side blend. All in all a good smoke for all day, or any day.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

I was lucky enough to be in one of the Tinder Box Pipe and Cigar Shops that received samples of different tobacco blends from Cornell and Diehl. The Winchester blend was right for me and ordered a pound.

The cut is a broken flake which makes it easy to pack, the aroma from the bag is pure tobacco no artificial flavoring.

The first match and you can taste the richness of this blend that seems to just stay. Nearing the middle of the bowl a bit of sweetness begins to make itself known from the Virginia. By the time you reach the bottom of the bowl the full richness is there with the taste of sweet Virginia.

This would be a great tobacco for all pipe smokers to try at least once, I did not experience any harshness or tongue bite just a smooth and sweet smoke. It will remain in my rotation.

SFC

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

Cornell & Diehl at there best with a Virginia and Cavendish blend which is naturally sweet, and very smooth. If you like natural tobacco blends, as I do, and don't care for Latakia that much, as I don't, this is great for you. Even if you love Latakia you might well find that this hits the spot for you. Also good for smokers looking for a first non-aromatic.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Rated Percentage = 73%

Comment = Strong Flavor, has a bit of a Bite, This is not a very good smoke

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

The VA spiciness in my somewhat-dried-out sample bag shines through here.

A decent tobacco- nothing special.

Images evoked: a caravan of marauding undead barbarians stopping on a tropical isle, lying on the beach, mid-day, trying to get a bleach-tan.

Update= Time is not kind to this blend.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

06/14/04 I really like Winchester. The red Virginia provides a sweet and slightly tangy high note while the Green River burley provides depth and structure. It's not terribly complex, just a straight-forward, solid blend. I don't think this blend could bite, even if you pushed it hard. Winchester could easily be an all-day smoke. It's very affordable and should age well.

Update 09/24/05 I just finished the 2 oz. sample from last year. In the end I found Winchester bitter and thin. I won't buy more.

I was put-off by this one. Will leave it at three stars for now and give it time to mature a bit. The Burley seemed to dominate too much and the combination seemed quite harsh. Knowing how Burleys can get better with age, "I shall return!"*

* Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Later attempt: Burley, burley, etc. Strong Burley.